Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. JimMendel

You guys see any problems with this idea?

So I wanted to upgrade to modern aluminum wheels and a 3-speed hub for this: With parts pirated off of this: I figure I can keep the fenders, bars, crank and maybe the headset off the girls bike. The wheels and tires on it are mint, no rust at all. Is it worth $65?
  2. JimMendel

Can I run modern beach cruiser tires and wheels on an old Schwinn?

I have a nice, straight 1964 Typhoon frame with S-7 Schwinn middleweight wheels. Was thinking about buying a later model beach cruiser and pirate the wheels off of it as part of the build. It has fenders on it. Will they still fit?
  3. JimMendel

Krylon candy apple red paint.

Anybody here tried this paint? I would think the color would depend on the primer. Looking for the old metallic red like the old 60's bikes and old Honda 350's :) https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K03931000-Shimmer-Metallic-Aerosol/dp/B01K13DD5Y
  4. JimMendel

Mid to late "70's Bridgestone Sprinter

An unusual old Japanese touring bike! See the chrome on that right fork leg? It'll clean up! :) Thinking new turquoise paint with 27 inch whitewalls. Or maybe red. not sure.
  5. JimMendel

1989 Schwinn World Sport

Picked this up at a swap meet for $44 the other day. I spent some time cleaning it up, regreasing the bearings and replacing the tires and bars. Rode it around on Saturday- I like it. For some reason I'm getting the impulse to put these and this on it. Stupid? Never been done? Maybe...
  6. JimMendel

Anybody else have a motorcycle?

My 2000 HD Sportster:
  7. JimMendel

Yesterday's ride. With a bunch of pics.

I knew this place existed from mountain biking stories on the internet, but they were inaccurate- who's into history anymore? Well some people, but not most people these days. It's not far from civilization, maybe 8-10 miles. I rode up there today and was really happy I did! 100 year old ruins...
  8. JimMendel

Kandy Apple Red?

I'm an old fart that rode a bike like this in the 60's. Seems like they were all metallic red, like the old Honda color. I'm thinking about ripping this apart again to apply a Kandy apple red paint job. :cool:
  9. JimMendel

Is there a better vintage cruiser seat?

Than this: Or This: For my old Schwinn, I would prefer something more like this: Nobody makes a seat like that ^^^^^?
  10. JimMendel

How to tell if a road bike is worth restoration....

A small primer on road bikes!! :) So there were/are many grades of road bikes, The hierarchy is based on frame material and component quality. Basically, with steel (vintage) road bikes, the lighter, the better. Frame tubing is a good indicator of goodness. We're talkin' Reynolds 531, Columbus...
  11. JimMendel

A 10-speed bike made of many brands and countries.

This bike has a French frame, American bar tape, an Italian front wheel, a Japanese rear wheel, brakes and derailleurs, and a Japanese replacement chrome fork. It's actually a 14 speed because it has a Chinese Sunrace 7-speed freewheel. Plus, it has German fenders and a chain made in Portugal...
  12. JimMendel

1977 Peugeot...Cheap.

Don't laugh too hard. But it's mechanical components are amazingly sound, not much wear on the chainrings and the bottom bracket is smooth. This bike was right under the pro racer in Peugeot's 1977 bike lineup. (Hard to believe, eh?);) The remains of a Reynolds 531 tubing sticker: After...
  13. JimMendel

Parts interchangeability between the older bikes?

If I ever do find a nice old Colson or Elgin or Columbia or Higgins or Western Flyer or any old late '30's to mid-50's fat tire frame, can I run any fork from any of these old rides? A Schwinn springer? Are cranks interchangeable? How about just buying a later model beach cruiser from Craigslist...
  14. JimMendel

Are your bikes ever really "done"? (some pictures)

Mine has gone through several versions and I find myself thinking of more. It'll never end. Well, until you get a better starting point I guess. ;) As found- $80 cash: Where should I go with this?: This is better: Found some fenders: And now, about $200 later: :happy:
  15. JimMendel

Thoughts on riding long distance. Well, 20 miles.

The "Bayshore Bikeway" is a bike route around San Diego Bay. It's mostly flat, a lot of it's bike path with no motorized vehicle traffic. It's been my favorite ride for a long time, so I thought about taking the old Schwinn around it- I just got back from the ride. So I thought it would be...
  16. JimMendel

Here's the The repro Schwinn back rack, if you've wondered...

It's I think, powder coated, and seems OK. The mounting hardware it comes with is heavy and ugly. It's a Chinese reproduction of the old Schwinn "Phantom" rear rack, and fits OK on my old 1964 middleweight Schwinn. I wanted it because it can be a grocery getter, but it's not too bad looking, but...
  17. JimMendel

Why were girl's bikes blue and boy's bikes red?

Back in the 60's my sister's bikes were always blue, and mine were red. I know that other colors were available, but generally it was red boy's/blue girl's Who started this? Why? o_O
  18. JimMendel

Next project is a balloon tire bike.

Restoring/building old bikes is a great hobby. I wrench on cars all day for a living- they've become so electronic that it's more like working on a computer that a motor vehicle. When I was a kid, I had a middleweight bike, but one day when my dad was gone at a job, somebody had to feed the...
  19. JimMendel

My attempt at a Rat Rod bike.

Here's what I've done so far. The fenders are both made from the formerly rusty and bent rear fender. I was going for a bobber motorcycle look. Needs a springer fork maybe. The pinstripe on the chainguard was just a small experimental leftover from striping a car. Wanted a ridable bike, so new...
  20. JimMendel

Bendix RB-2 bearings?

Are the three caged bearings in this picture a standard size that a bike shop may have? Does anybody make a new 3 lug sprocket (BB-147)? Thanks in advance!
Back