Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. hammer mechanic

Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Currently on Marketplace: 1940s or 1950s Schwinn bicycle. All original, California survivor, original Schwinn seat, springer forks, headlight, bell, even tires look original. Tires are shot. Was going to fix this one up but have too many projects. Asking 250 OBO So much going on here, it's...
  2. hammer mechanic

BIKES FROM POLAND

I have seen several bikes in the US badged as "TYLER" that were marked Made in Poland. I actually saw a Tyler frame in a salvage yard yesterday but didn't think to get a picture.
  3. hammer mechanic

Chicken coop find (pre war?) Elgin questions.

Welcome aboard. Cool Elgin. The rear hub looks like a Morrow to me. Starting in 1931, these hubs have a code stamped on the barrel that makes them pretty easy to date. A 1931 hub would have an A followed by either a 1,2,3 or 4 for 1st, 2nd,3rd or 4th quarter of that year. B would be 1932...
  4. hammer mechanic

SHOW ME YOUR BIKE ART!

A Macro Monday offering from a few years back. Yard Art Schwinn:
  5. hammer mechanic

Hammer Mechanic's Freshest Finds

Brought home two more piles of Schwinn parts:
  6. hammer mechanic

Long shot.

The sprocket on the 2nd bike looks like one that came on some Western Flyer bikes.
  7. hammer mechanic

Please help I.D.

I confess that I'm not a Huffman expert. I did google them pretty hard when I found mine. The H + 6 digit serial #s were used between 1945 and some time in 1947 if I understand correctly. Where the fork stamp is concerned, I believe that one digit is the month and the other is the year. If...
  8. hammer mechanic

Please help I.D.

I have a similar Huffman. Serial #H257460. Rolled off the line not too long after yours. Has a 65 stamped on back of fork crown. I believe it is a 1945 civilian model. This site has a lot of info on Military Huffmans and Columbias and how to ID them...
  9. hammer mechanic

JC Higgins serial build date

Here's one school of thought on the Murray built serial #s. There are others. https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/can-someone-decode-this-jc-serial-number.118573/#post-1255296
  10. hammer mechanic

Freddy's fresh finds

There were four different brake arms on the New Departure Model D hubs. Two were prewar. The earliest: Next: Sorry for the crappy pics.
  11. hammer mechanic

Springer ID?

Part of an Evans Evanaction fork as seen on RatRod Bikes. https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/evans-sonic-scout-with-evanaction-springer.91660/
  12. hammer mechanic

Freddy's fresh finds

From what I've seen online for Columbia serial #s, A-5429 through A-266083 equals a 1936 bike. I can't see what type rear hub you have, but if it's a Morrow, they can be dated pretty easily.
  13. hammer mechanic

RAT the RAINBOW

True. I will try to punch out some dust shields from some thin rubber. Getting the side cover to fit and stay in place is still a mystery.
  14. hammer mechanic

RAT the RAINBOW

I got both wheels laced up. I was able to true up the front. Still have to put the rear hub back together. I ran into a snag with the front hub bearing cones. Pretty rough shape. This fore brake hub used an axle larger than most 5/16" axles, but not the 3/8'' that was advertised. 11/32"...
  15. hammer mechanic

RAT the RAINBOW

Hub needed a little lipstick, as it were. Okay, not really lipstick.
  16. hammer mechanic

RAT the RAINBOW

I needed to knock the new off of my spokes. They were ucp (zinc plated) so I soaked them over night in white vinegar. Pretty black After some cleanup. Old and dull looking. Got the front laced up. Kickback hub looking better than it did. Pretty clean inside actually. I'll get this one...
  17. hammer mechanic

RAT the RAINBOW

I found out the oven cleaner really didn't like the scotchbrite pad I was using. It got really hot, really fast.
  18. hammer mechanic

RAT the RAINBOW

I got some real work done today. Got the old layers of paint stripped from the rims. Bubbly goodness! Crappy chrome revealed One rim is a little less crappy, a little more chromey Might try a little white vinegar bath before I start building. I also want to age my spokes a little.
Back