Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. squirreldh

JC Higgins Flightliner Rat-Price Drop

Am selling my Higgins to put funds into other projects. Not original, ratted out a while back. Have it listed locally in Denver but figured I would try listing it here as well, see if anyone wants it. Hoping it doesnt get parted out, but know how it goes sometimes. Definitely a little rough...
  2. squirreldh

Pearl Pass Klunker Tour

Coming up in the beginning of September, the Pearl Pass Klunker Tour is organized by a friend of mine in Gunnison, CO that goes from Crested Butte, CO over Pearl Pass to Aspen, CO and back, on Klunkers. I am attending with a friend from Denver, and another friend is heading here from San...
  3. squirreldh

Crested Butte Chainless 2017

So the 2017 running of the Crested Butte Chainless World Championships is a week away! I am pretty excited about the event. Will be my second year competing. Last year I rode my JC Higgins Flightliner rat in the race and did fairly well, top ten if I recall. This year is different. I want to be...
  4. squirreldh

Fat Chance Buckshaver

Was gifted this early 90s Fat Chance Buckshaver yesterday! Its complete, in great shape, and almost correct! I do plan on returning it back to original, wheels, fork, brakes, and some other bits arent period correct but hopefully I can locate some of the correct parts for it. I am bummed because...
  5. squirreldh

Nothing Special, CWC Hiawatha

Got this frame/fork/fender set out of the Denver Old Bikes Club spring swap free pile at the end of the swap! Bars are welded to stem, so that will be tossed. Hopefully I can get the stem out of the steerer with minimal effort. Will be attempting to remove the red spray bomb paint job, try and...
  6. squirreldh

Fruita Fat Tire Festival

Loaded up and headed to the Fruita Fat Tire Fest, picked up a friend and about to leave Denver. Got my mtb, and higgins with me, and my girls old school Hardrock with some knobbies! Finally convinced her to try some mtb riding. Will have some pics of our rides, and some of the demo rides...
  7. squirreldh

All I could fit...

Went to a local bike show, bbq, and ride recently. This was all I could fit in the Jeep, had a couple more I could have brought but these made the cut. Was a fun day, I brought the most bikes, which surprised me, there are some big collectors around here.
  8. squirreldh

Old Bikes Club - Denver, CO

Here in the Denver area we have a club that meets the third Sunday of every month for a show and ride. Hosted by Blu Martinez, there are on average 20 of us that gather at Fishback Park near downtown Denver. I know they have a Facebook page, but I am not on FB so I do not post there. But having...
  9. squirreldh

Box of junk

Just got a box of junk in the mail from a friend of mine, sent him some tires and other bits, he sends me this stuff...
  10. squirreldh

Nothing special CWC Hiawatha

Went to the Denver OBC Spring Swap meet saturday, sold some stuff, and didnt buy much which is good! There was a lot of cool stuff to be had, including two CWC frames for 20 each from different vendors that I had my eye on. Well, I just so happened to be in the right place at the right time, the...
  11. squirreldh

Mint Chocolate Chip

I set out with a goal to build a bicycle to compete in the Crested Butte Chainless World Championships, held in CB during the fat tire bike week every year. Last year I did fairly well on an old JC Higgins Flightliner I ratted out and wanted to build a ride specifically for the event. No cranks...
  12. squirreldh

Old Bikes Club Spring Swap Denver CO

The Denver OBC is holding their spring swap on Saturday April 8th. Free for public, $10 for vendors. If anyone out there in RRB land can make it out to the mile high you are more than welcome! Event is held in a church parking lot at the intersection of 14th and Benton, 1 block south and...
  13. squirreldh

Possible Steer-from-the-rear/Burrito steering solution

So I just went down a random google rabbit hole... had an idea for a future build, folding cargo bike, so I figured I should google it as I am sure someone has made one already. I stumble across a cargo bike company in france making modular cargos named Douze Cycles. They came up with a really...
  14. squirreldh

BBC Raleigh Documentary

Anyone else see this? BBC did a documentary on Raleigh Bicycles, posted to youtube a day ago...
  15. squirreldh

Mint Chocolate Chip-A bike built for the Crested Butte Chainless World Champs (Finished)

Not sure what to call this thing... (Edit: I figured out a title/motif) I competed in the Crested Butte Chainless World Championship last year in Crested Butte, CO. I competed on my JC Higgins and ended up placing fairly well, despite an incident causing a flat near the finish. Here is a...
  16. squirreldh

Raleigh Sprite 20spd, a sheldon-esque conversion from way back

I came across this Raleigh Sprite from my work recently. I am unsure of the year, not much research has been done on it yet, but once I looked at it I knew something was strange. Wiping off the rear hub it says "70" which sounds about right, maybe its late sixties? Anyways thats where it starts...
  17. squirreldh

Test ride/Delivering the goods

My friend came over and we installed a set of Salt 3pc BMX cranks on his '41 Hawthorne? Its a CWC frame, i have not done a lot of research on it but he was told the year/make by the previous owner/good friend. Anways, cranks installed nicely: Bottom Bracket and Spindle: Cranks installed...
  18. squirreldh

Cruiser Run(s)

Recently have been going out on the bikes with a friend in search of longer descents to run on our cruisers. I have been looking around on google maps, strava segment explorer, and mtb proect, for trails or paths that follow a general downhill direction, but are not super steep as some of our...
  19. squirreldh

Should i do another?

The first one i built was fun, and i have an idea for something completely opposite and more on the rat rod side of things... so as the title states, should i do another? There is more than two months left...
  20. squirreldh

Lil' Rocket - a 24" wheeled Transition Bottlerocket-Updated 2/6/17

The vision for this build was to create a bike my roommates son can ride and race downhill this upcoming season here in Colorado. Being 10yrs old he is still on the smaller side, but we anticipate him growing over the next season or two and want this ride to last. We made the descision to pick...
Back