Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. amecks

Value of this 1967 Schwinn Typhoon 26" TWO-SPEED HUB

Thanks for the reply, mbmm, I do expect this to be difficult to sell. I sold the red one which was built from the lesser condition parts for $300 - delivered cross county. The coppertone bike has better tires and tubes, better overall condition, and the custom parts. Its still Spring here so...
  2. amecks

Value of this 1967 Schwinn Typhoon 26" TWO-SPEED HUB

Hi. I haven't posted in a while. I have an all original 67 Typhoon with a two speed hub. I actually had two of these and I used the best parts to build this one. It has the "Radiant Coppertone" paint ( I sold the red one for about $275 a few years ago). Along the way I misplaced the orginal...
  3. amecks

Schwinn Panther at Curtiss Museum Swap Meet

The Glenn H Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY has a motorcycle event every August. Combination Ride-In, Swap Meet and Museum Show. I trailered a 1959 Indian Chief to display (built by Royal Enfield for Indian after the factory shut down in 1953). Also had a station wagon full of old tools to...
  4. amecks

Huffy Cranbrook on the side of the road

This was right up the street from my house, maybe half a mile. I passed it on the way out this morning and it was still there when I returned about an hour later. Tossed it in the truck. I installed two tubes, adjusted everything and oiled it, then took it out to the driveway and pressure...
  5. amecks

Advice sought on preserving aluminum finish...

Thanks! Will check into it.
  6. amecks

Being a spray on product it must be easy to use. Thanks for your advice. Al
  7. amecks

Thanks very much Capt. I had another friend mention car wax. I just came in from the garage and the forks are assembled. Now to prep the wheels...
  8. amecks

Having learned alot from this forum, I thought I might get help with the Project 39-1/2 motorcycle. The bike has alloy triple trees. I used a fine wire wheel which produced a nice satin finish that I think is perfect for the bike. But how can I preserve this look? Not wanting to paint...
  9. amecks

Garage sale Columbia Tandem - all original

I'll look again. Thanks for the encouragement on riding tandem.
  10. amecks

Where the heck is the serial number? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for the comments. Not sure I'll be able to ride with my wife. She's a bit skittish on bicycles. I don't expect it to work but will give it a try.
  11. amecks

Hi. I've dropped back to lurker status this year. Very busy with motorcycle projects. But today I found this tandem at a garage sale... This bike appears to me to have all original parts. Even has the sticker where it was bought. At first I thought the grips were changed but they match and...
  12. amecks

Sturmey S3C hub - brakes stick

I'll hit Whiting Road this weekend and give it a test. I have only ridden it on level ground so far. I live near the Erie Canal and have been using the towpaths which are long level paths.
  13. amecks

I followed the lubrication instructions on Sheldon Browns website. High temp grease on the bearings, inside the shell and the brake band and then 2 teaspoons of Sturmey oil. I will try draing and refilling the hub. I remember being extremely careful in following the instructions. Maybe I'll...
  14. amecks

I've been riding the bike I threw together last year but the brake sticks. As in the title, it's a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster brake hub. The brake stops normally but once stopped the wheel is locked up and I have kick the pedals forward to unstick it. I rebuilt the hub carefully per...
  15. amecks

Syracuse Classic Bikes impromptu 11/8 ride

Jude, can you add me to your mail list? I had a lot of yard and garage projects going but I got to take a short motorcycle ride - first time in 15 years my wife rode on back! Al in Jordan [email protected]
  16. amecks

Krylon Glitter Blast or Dupli-color Metal Specks?

I used krylon glitter on my build off bike as an accent. It seemed to lay flat enough and covered easily with clear. Found some at the dollar store.
  17. amecks

1st Place! THANKS! - SteamRoller - Elgin Twin Bar Churnin Urn of Burnin Funk - CompareTwinWins VerBoten SteamRoller

Friggin awesome bicycle! Fun to watch all the convolutions of the evolution. No shortage of picturesque spots in Savannah, eh? I like the shots in front of the rusty corrugated door and the Streamliner diner. This BuildOff was great fun for me but again I gotta say, how much I learned from...
  18. amecks

Huffy 3 Speed and unrelated tire question...

Thanks! Both questions answered. Additionally I found on Sheldon Brown's that WTB's (Wilderness Trail Bikes) measurements conform to the Global Measuring System, and should fit either of the two rims I may use.
  19. amecks

Huffy 3 Speed and unrelated tire question...

Picked this up pretty cheap from CL. Huffy Chesapeake with a Shimano 3CC coaster brake. I know they're not the greatest but at least it is in good working order. Almost bought a similar bike last week, single speed, but had second thoughts. Glad I waited or I'd be kicking myself. (I really...
  20. amecks

Good luck to everyone!!!

I want to thank all of you for a fun time in my first build off and as a newer member I have learned a tremendous amount. Everywhere I look on this forum there are creative ideas and techniques. I started building my entry as something to do while laid off work. It was great getting...
Back