Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. rickpaulos

Trek 3500 frame

I get bikes that have been worked over by clueless owners. This one looks like it got attacked with a hammer and chisel. Trying to remove the bb. The bearings were chunky. Left end of the bb axle smashed over and useless. This is the left side cartridge ring. My bet is the former owner never...
  2. rickpaulos

Kmart All Pro Pro 3.

scraped this out today. wrong size wheels. 26 instead of 26. You can see the brakes won't reach. bent fork looks like the front wheel was filled with spray foam. Why not, look at all those spray foam auto repair jobs on youtube from Mechanical Nightmares or Just Rolled in. Cool 1 piece brake...
  3. rickpaulos

Anybody sniffing BO 19 in the air?

Twins on standby.
  4. rickpaulos

'87 Schwinn Cruiser find

Oooh, a "Giant" bmx.
  5. rickpaulos

What have you been riding lately?

1981 Raleigh Competition GS Reynolds 531, Suntour dropouts, frame made in Japan during Huffy's brief licensing of Raleighs sold in the USA. GS = Campangnolo Gran Sport componets. A rebuild project still in progress. Has Shimano aero levers and DiaCompe brakes yet to be replaced with Campagnolo GS.
  6. rickpaulos

Sun Cycle Villager 3

needs a pair of the special hubs. The rest is regular bike parts. I noticed the sprocket is on the left side too. One issue is one of the rear axles is missing the left hand threaded inboard nut and someone decided to weld the axle to the bearing. Hubs run about $20 each.
  7. rickpaulos

SE Bikes Lager ss/fixie

rebuild done. 27.9 pounds new chain. Upped the freewheel from an 18t to 19t. rides downwind fine. The 20-30 gusts are a problem going into the wind. A couple of miles and I'm not going to miss it.
  8. rickpaulos

SE Bikes Lager ss/fixie

The more I work on this bike, the worse my impression of it gets. Those WTB Thick Slick tires are 650 grams each. That's very heavy. Like cheap walmart knobby mountain bike tire heavy. The wheels are very heavy. The black spokes are overly tight and rusting. Should be replaced but not for...
  9. rickpaulos

Rustoleum new spray top = fail.

Speaking of a dot on a test wall... I stopped by my local Walmart to look for paint and the aisle of spray paint looks like a graffiti train car. Test sprays on other cans and the shelves.
  10. rickpaulos

I've had so many spray cans stop working due to getting clogged up. Lately i've been storing the push buttons in a plastic peanut butter jar with paint thinner and a lid on it. Watch the plastic lid expand. But even the cans get blocked up. I think I need a method of using the rest of the...
  11. rickpaulos

I tried out this new spray head design from Rust-oleum. My hands are now covered in clear. They claim you can use the can in any angle but it leaks all over when just used in the upright position. More complaints. It it has a wide flat spray pattern and shoots a lot of paint in a hurry...
  12. rickpaulos

Dynamo hub adjustment

The secret trick to getting freewheels off hubs is to spoke them to a rim so you can use the rim for leverage. You only need about 6 spokes, they don't even need to be the correct length or tensioned. Just all the same size and equally spaced. Ditto for taking the generator hub apart...
  13. rickpaulos

Dynamo hub adjustment

"I got all the small stuff, but I don't have a wrench big enough and couldn't hold the hub shell well enough to turn the armature thing." When the hub is spoked up, the rim is your leverage. Kinda like removing freewheels which is nearly impossible to do from just a hub.
  14. rickpaulos

Dynamo hub adjustment

Plenty of connectors on the www. https://www.google.com/search?q=shimano+dynamo+hub+connector
  15. rickpaulos

Dynamo hub adjustment

What are the hub model numbers? Their first gen hubs were pretty weak. At one time Peter White cycles had some comparison tests of the models available then. The early Shimano (NX30) had far more drag when 'off' due to a bad stator design. Not worth buying or trying to use. I have 3 of the...
  16. rickpaulos

WANTED anyone have one of these?

on a bike I got today. No brand or marks on the top.
  17. rickpaulos

Schwinn Sierra/Spitfire/unk/Mirada/Exerciser/DX900 Trek/1000 and parts

and parts. Bendix 2 speed with cable shift in very good condition. handlebars cranks racks etc
  18. rickpaulos

Schwinn Sierra/Spitfire/unk/Mirada/Exerciser/DX900 Trek/1000 and parts

Today's full load. 1955 Schwinn Spitfire resto mod. repaint, Sugino Maxy bmx crank on a sealed 1 piece bb, Rear caliper brake adapter, bmx bars, front canti's on a 1980s Schwinn mtb fork. Alloy wheels. Single freewheel. Shrink wrapped aluminum seat post. Schwinn Mirada teal. 1988...
  19. rickpaulos

1971 Schwinn Runabout ????

The Pixie frames weren't the cantilever design. Some of the Pixies were 1-tube convertible frames. The later models had twin small top tubes that kinda look like a mixti. A mini-mixti! Some Pixies had semi-pneumatic tires. The Pixies had some pretty low bottom brackets. Okay with a 4.5"...
Back