‘Pard in my pink... Huffy - Sister Zee & Tiger 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This $10.00 Huffy started out looking like this, and since my step-daughter Breanna likes pink, I decided to stay with the original color.
PinkGVHuffy_zps4a99d913.jpg

With a low budget for parts, I did this as cheaply as possible. I sanded the frame and forks, cleaned and polished all the other shiny parts, and used etching primer, then a couple rattle can colors from Lowe’s.Starting with the base pink on the frame, I then added fenders that I got from Niagara Cycle on eBay for a more retro look. The colors were a three part combination all done while the paint was wet.
PinkHuffy001_zpsb674bee3.jpg

I shot a base coat of white, then added a fade of light pink, then another fade from the edges of the frame color. I had to adjust all three colors on the fly as I was painting to reach the effect I was looking for, as well as make corrections.
Did I mention that she loves Leopard patterns? Well, that was a challenge to see how easily the pattern could be achieved. I did not want to have to wait days to accomplish what I had in mind. I have ideas for at least three more with animal print if this works.
After the pink fade had dried for an hour or so, I cut stencils out of a piece of cardboard, and placed gray spots in a random order on the chainguard first, then the fenders.
BikesEtc006_zps1780fddd.jpg
BikesEtc009_zps9625a010.jpg
BikesEtc007_zps4c6e5796.jpg
PinkHuffy007_zps2b2f2de8.jpg
PinkHuffy004_zps0c03ec70.jpg
When the gray was dry, about 30 minutes, I sprayed black into a cup, and proceeded to use a brush to hand paint the border around the gray - and fill in the blank spots. This only took about ten minutes for the chainguard, and about forty-five for the fenders. I put two heavy coats of clear on the design and let it dry overnight. I also painted the fender braces gray to match the spots.
I had recovered the original seat in gray vinyl, painted the chassis, springs, and seat pan gray to bring out the spots.
PinkHuffy012_zps0932f675.jpg
I added 28" cruiser bars from Niagara, gray/black grips from Walmart, and it was done, after of course cleaning and re-greasing the coaster brake and all the other bearings, and installing the new white tires and tubes I got at my LBS, that used to be on my wife’s Hollywood. (It has pink tires now)
PinkPard3_zps59a5acb5.jpg
PinkPard1_zps64628085.jpg
PinkPard2_zps448827d1.jpg
I made a couple decals to add to it, and plan to add a basket. (my wife’s idea) Total time spent on this refurb was about four days.
PinkHuffy009_zps771822cd.jpg
PinkPard4_zps5fb7de85.jpg
PinkHuffy011_zps925272a4.jpg

PinkPard_zps4bafc881.jpg

It looks pretty good to me, but Breanna loves it - and can’t wait to ride it at the beach.

Preview Link to Zeeing Red!
de5b14c5-5b4d-47a7-b347-906079b8e1f8_zpsdd7c5268.jpg

And I know nobody really cares, but I did another - for the girls

5-23 Made some progress today on the "circus bikes" thanks to chimichanga
and fast shipping of tires!
Build Link Here

Re: ‘Pard in my pink... Huffy

WOW! Love the custom paint. Congrats to you and Breanna.

Nice work!!!
Proves what I say about girls, colors are everything~!

That's cool, ratTED... that leopard paint job is awesome!

WOW....nice work. Probably one of the best paint work I have seen here.....even if it is pink.

best step-father ever! That came out awesome.

cman said:
WOW....nice work. Probably one of the best paint work I have seen here.....even if it is pink.
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the color, but she loves it, and it has inspired me to "think outside the box".

ratTED said:
cman said:
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the color, but she loves it, and it has inspired me to "think outside the box".
This was my inspiration, and my wife won't be happy until she has one just like it. She calls it a "Marilyn Monroe Bike"
HiawathaDeluxe_zps3deb2323.jpg

Re: ‘Pard in my pink... Huffy ** Update - Sister Zee

Wow, great job! I can't believe the hand-detailing you put into those leopard spots! 8)
I'm guessing you've got a VERY happy step-daughter!

Latest posts

Back