☆BOBBED ROSS☆ '65 Ross DeLuxe. ~fin~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Ross/Chain Bike Corporation bikes. The green one is a 1959 Super Deluxe, S.A. 3 speed, badged ROSS, the blue one is a 1961 THUNDER JET badged C.B.C.
DSCN1323.jpg
20160717_193916.jpeg

Yep, that's the same chain ring as I have in my stash.

The chain guard and chain ring are probably original, as seen in this Coast king badged Ross. The year wasn't known.

This girl's bike was shown as a 65 model, so I think it's safe to say yours is a 65.
images

Is that the Pepperbox Special in your avatar?
That is Pepperbox Special in my avatar, probably the only bike I regret parting with. I wonder how many owners that frame has been through.

So you know how you have a build all figured out, you're ready to start stripping down the frame and moving on to paint, and then you see something in the corner of your shop that makes you rethink the whole thing? That's me today.
So a while back I threw together a bit of a drag bike "Peggy Suicide"
20160902_085258.jpg
When I decided to sell, I slapped a repop Schwinn springer on it and the triple tree/clip on combo found it's way onto my Electra Ratrod "Mus Malum"
20170105_130344.jpg
Unfortunately the Electra's frame geometry didn't agree with the clip ons. So I put a different springer and headlight on it.
20170105_130734.jpg
The triple tree retired to a dusty shelf in my shop, where I noticed it today.
For those of you who didn't know, previous to his life as the world most soft spoken, chill, frizzy haired painting instructor, Bob Ross was a U.S. Air Force drill sergeant.
Imagining an R. Lee Ermey version of Bob Ross prompted me to ponder the Ross I'm building. Thus an alternate version "Bobbed Ross" was mocked up.
20170105_123647.jpg
20170105_123946.jpg
20170105_131941.jpg

Thanks guys. In hindsight I wish I'd spent less time playing with the mock up and stripped some of the paint today. The temperature just dropped 25 degrees and plans to stay that way through the weekend. Oh well, there's wheels that need cleaning and rebuilding parts to degrease and polish and almost 3 months left in the build off.

I guess I've got a thing for low straight bars lol. View attachment 42055
It's all about that 'one thing'. Getting close to understanding what it is is a big step....whether it's 'low straight bars' , or faux patina, or tightly fit fender / tire clearance....or...

Remember all those parts I put in the tub to degrease? A cold front blew in yesterday dropping temps into the teens and twenties, as my shop is not heated, my bearings, crank, etc. are frozen in a block of ice.
Oh well, Mrs. Link and I just got back from CrossFit, got the sitter paid, got the kid to bed. Time to put back every calorie I burned with an evening of t.v. and red wine on the couch with my wife.
Kind of beats scrubbing gunk out of bearings in a refrigerated shop.

Digging the nose in the ground with the clip ons. Thats whats up

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
Thanks, low n' lean, gotta love those twin tube frames. I can't wait to see what you do with that Huffy, I tried to buy it from Kingfish but you already had a deal brewing so I lost out. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Man i better do it justice then haha. I have some ideas but one would sorta delete the twin tube. But i have a pic in my head i think it will work

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

After freezing all weekend today it was in the mid 80's, so I tore everything apart and got started stripping the paint.
20170111_161044.jpg
The first application went well, revealing three coats of paint, blue house paint, red house paint, and the original red paint, not to mention the original metalic primer.
20170111_162156.jpg
If the weather stays warm, I'll likely do a second round of stripper tomorrow, then finish it off with a wire wheel.

Almost like digging down through the strata as an archaeologist...
Exactly, and every now and then you find a treasure, like when I stripped the guard to find it chrome with good original graphics. But most the time it's just rust and dust and decades of layered house paint.;)

Today's stripping session went way better.
20170112_141659.jpg
Almost there. There's a little stubborn paint sticking around in some of the harder to reach spaces, but I'll go back with some stripper once the frame dries and that should take care of it. Then the wire wheel and it'll be ready to prime. We're supposed to have some rain blow through with a temperature drop so I'll likely be cleaning all the bearings and what not I've had soaking. Primer will likely have to wait till next week.

Latest posts

Back