12 Gauge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well progress has been slower. Just waiting on my tax return to come in. Then I can order all the parts I need. I have the rear coaster hub disassembled and cleaned. Just need to grease and install it. I also found a leather shop in town who will sell me some new (but aged looking) leather for the seat. I will pick that up once I have the seat powered coated. I checked the local thrift shop for brown leather jackets that I could use for the seat but nothing was there. I also got the fork back from the Machine shop and it is straight and installed. I did not bother to post up pictures because there is nothing really to look at yet.

Ok so I took a break on this bike for a while because I picked up a car for restoration and was excited about that so I put the bike aside for a while. I had time to finish up the bike today. I also changed the name of the bike to: 12 Gauge. I changed a couple of things in my plan but I was able to keep the build under $200 so my budget was kept!

The seat was done differently than I originally planned but I am happy with the out come. I decided not to powder coat the seat but left it rusty. I also picked up a $3 leather jacket from the thrift shop. It was a really worn black leather one perfect for recovering the seat. I also stopped by the carpet store and asked for a bit of underlay to use as a cushion. They gave me samples for free so the seat cost me $3 total to recover.
Here is the underlay attached to the seat pan:

The guy at the local leather store said leather is porous and to cover my foam with a grocery bag so that is what I did:

Then I covered it in leather:

and the end result:

Last nights sun set while working on the bike. I had to open the garage door and watch it while I worked:

Ordered the Fat Frank tires. The rims were left completely rusty. I only put in new spokes where needed:

Progress is happening:

Spent some time on the farm with my father in-law today firing off a bunch of different guns to get these:

The handle bar grips are cork I installed the 12 gauge shot gun shells into the ends:

The valve stem caps are cut down bullet casings:

and Here is the bike finished sitting in front of my next project:

Very cool! That seat came ouy awesome! Big fan of your next project too, I hope you will make a thread in "Other Talk" for it! I have my '81 Datsun project over there...

Luke.

Very cool! That seat came ouy awesome! Big fan of your next project too, I hope you will make a thread in "Other Talk" for it! I have my '81 Datsun project over there...

Luke.

Thanks Luke. I have been looking for a 1971-1972 Celica for over 10 years locally and nothing popped up till last month, when my dad spotted it next town over. I am really excited about the celica project. It is going to a long term thing so I can enjoy the build up and not feel rushed. You were mentioned wanting to see a build thread for the Celica? I have started one on my local sports car forums. follow this link to check it out: http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9829-1972-celica-st-build/
The first page or 2 is engine swap discussion but then it gets into the build once I get the car home. Not far into it yet but I will update the build regularly as I make progress.
What type of Datsun are you building? I also love old Datsuns the 240z is another of my top choices in cars. I grew up around muscle cars but I have a real soft spot for vintage Japanese stuff.

I have at least 1 seat to recover myself, thanks for the tip about the plastic bag. did you use any adhesive?

I used the Super 77 Spray adhesive I think it is made by 3M. If you live in Canada Canadian Tire would be the place to get it. But I imagine a lot of hardware stores would carry it. Also one other thing about using a plastic bag. If you use a thick heavy plastic it will not stretch around your foam and will look wrinkly when you wrap your leather around it.

Ok so I took a break on this bike for a while because I picked up a car for restoration and was excited about that so I put the bike aside for a while. I had time to finish up the bike today. I also changed the name of the bike to: 12 Gauge. I changed a couple of things in my plan but I was able to keep the build under $200 so my budget was kept!

The seat was done differently than I originally planned but I am happy with the out come. I decided not to powder coat the seat but left it rusty. I also picked up a $3 leather jacket from the thrift shop. It was a really worn black leather one perfect for recovering the seat. I also stopped by the carpet store and asked for a bit of underlay to use as a cushion. They gave me samples for free so the seat cost me $3 total to recover.
Here is the underlay attached to the seat pan:

The guy at the local leather store said leather is porous and to cover my foam with a grocery bag so that is what I did:

Then I covered it in leather:

and the end result:

Last nights sun set while working on the bike. I had to open the garage door and watch it while I worked:

Ordered the Fat Frank tires. The rims were left completely rusty. I only put in new spokes where needed:

Progress is happening:

Spent some time on the farm with my father in-law today firing off a bunch of different guns to get these:

The handle bar grips are cork I installed the 12 gauge shot gun shells into the ends:

The valve stem caps are cut down bullet casings:

and Here is the bike finished sitting in front of my next project:
I would try and see if shotgun brass could be made into dust covers for the pedals?

That build thread is very cool, awesome little car you have there.
My build thread is here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ies-2-non-i-r-s-diff-and-exhaust-found.90317/

Luke.
Thanks Luke. Checked out your project very cool.
I would try and see if shotgun brass could be made into dust covers for the pedals?

Thats a good Idea I might have to think about trying it.

I am currently working on building the coaster brake again. I noticed that the wheel was loose before my test drive. I rode it across town and back and it worked good then I brought it home and tightened it up and test drove around the block and no coaster brake function just forward motion. So I picked up a new threaded shaft my other one is quite messed up so Will try that and see if it works better. If not I will be looking for a new coaster brake.

What kind of coaster brake you running now?

New Departure Model D. I also found this yesterday:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-departure-model-d-rebuild.30484/
Was really helpful. The problem was the axle but it caused another problem the little clip spring tab broke. So I re bent it and filed it down. I installed the new axle. I also sanded the little washers to remove the glazing. All works well now so that is a good thing for me. The only thing is the wheel seems a bit tight when it coasts even when adjusting the cone. I imagine once the washers get some riding it will loosen up a bit.

After I rebuilt the model D in my Hawthorne, it was kinda sticky and noisy shifting to coasting mode, but it is getting better with more use.

i have one of those Toyota flower pots to mine is a 73

Thats cool. any pictures of it?

After I rebuilt the model D in my Hawthorne, it was kinda sticky and noisy shifting to coasting mode, but it is getting better with more use.

Ok that is good to hear. I was able to take mine out on 2 separate rides today and the bike is really smooth riding.

yes i am on a celica forum but i have not posted in a long time .
1stgencelica
http://www.1stgencelica.com/

here it is , the guy who sold it to me sent me a small pic of a rust hole witch wan't bad but after the car got to my house i found out it was 100 time more then he said I have over 40 hours in rust repair as it is now . And its a really clean looking car you would never know .
i got really mad i wanted to keep it original but i picked up a Lexus motor for it and a six spd .
so now its getting a face lift . chassis lift

Last edited:
yes i am on a celica forum but i have not posted in a long time .
1stgencelica
http://www.1stgencelica.com/

here it is , the guy who sold it to me sent me a small pic of a rust hole witch wan't bad but after the car got to my house i found out it was 100 time more then he said I have over 40 hours in rust repair as it is now . And its a really clean looking car you would never know .
i got really mad i wanted to keep it original but i picked up a Lexus motor for it and a six spd .
so now its getting a face lift . chassis lift
The car looks great. Is the Lexus motor the 1UZ?

Latest posts

Back