1930 Hartford by Westfield - Finally on the Road!!!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTE: Started this under gallery but moving it to post as more appropriate to go through this build there. Thanks.

My first build was a 1961 Huffy Eldorado which I finished as a rat rod beach cruiser in May. For my second build I wanted a semi-rare prewar bike so went searching on ebay. After about a month of looking on ebay & at other great rat rod builds on this site, one bike (a 30 day listing) kept saying buy me / rebuild me. What I kept coming back to was the simple design & the amazingly neat head badge. It screamed to be turned into a Touring style rat rod bike since the frame will not accommodate fat tires. So on day 29 of the listing I contacted the seller & made a deal for the complete frame with fork, crank, & handlebars. He threw in the original fenders as part of the deal. It was this 1930 (serial number starts H4) Hartford by Westfield Manufacturing Company. so it is essentially a 1930 Columbia rebadged as Hartford. I think it is probably a rare bike with not many surviving but not sure. I have not seen any Hartford's on the internet and have read they were sold as a cheaper version of the Columbia's. I would not think many survived however I do see similar Columbia's on ebay a lot. Any information anyone has on Hartford's would be greatly appreciated. The ebay seller was parting it out due to the number or super rare / hard-to-find accessories and parts on it. He sent pics of the bikes I'll also share before he dissasembled it. The super rare parts/accessories I did not get include:

(1) The pedals were stamped J.H Graham Co. 'The Inventor of Torrington Pedals' which have been sold,
(2) Patent Pending Persons Speedo,
(3) Persons Majestic siren,
(4) Delta light and canister, and finally
(5) the one thing I really would love to have gotten my hands on was the saddle which was a Troxel long spring with red (Cordovan that matched the bike paint) leather, also rare!

I got the parts/frame yesterday, now my dilemma will be what I want to do with it. The paint except the white and pinstriping is in amazingly great shape. No rust at all. The Pope decal on the frame is intact & complete. The fenders are a little rough but will clean up well again except the white stripes. I will probably debate what to do the rest of the year and would like any suggestions from fellow rat rodders.

My current thoughts on the build are:

- Leave the frame alone except clean, straighten fenders, and polish and leave the character it has intact.
- Try to make it look as original as possible with the exception of new rideable components.
- Maybe paint head tube only back original white.
- Either rebuild a 1930s era Troxel saddle and stain the seat red like the one that was on it or maybe a new Brooks saddle in honey to match the headbadge????
- Rechome the handlebars & crank (the plating is pitted).
- Build either new 700cc or 28" wheels with 8 speed Shimano Nexus coaster brake rear hub (I live in North GA where hills will kill an old man LOL)
- Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tires in cream
- Find a 1930s vintage light & convert to LED

My only caveat with any build is it has to be rideable in North Georgia hill country for an old man & it has to be comfortable and enjoyable. I don't need a museum piece to collect dust, I want to ride any bike I own regularly. Any input or suggestions or just comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary Mc.

Here's what I got yesterday:
1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg00.jpg

1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg03.jpg

Here is the head badge that kept me coming back to the listing on ebay:
1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg01.jpg

1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg02.jpg

More pics:
1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg05.jpg

1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg06.jpg

Before the ebay seller parted it out. (this will make some people sick, ashamed not to have been restored intact but to each his own, sellers/pickers sell to make profit, & I am very glad I got the parts I did!!!!!!!)
1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg08.jpg

1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg07.jpg

Finally, the one piece I am sick I could not get, that original matching Troxel long spring with red leather. At least glad I got the pic as I know what the original looks like if I decide to try to rebuild one just like it. Now I know a red (cordovan) troxel saddle existed & was originally on this bike.
1930Hartford_WestfieldMfg09.jpg

Re: 1930 Hartford by Westfield Mfg/Pope

Had some time yesterday to start working on the 30' Hartford. Removed all the hardware from the frame being careful to tag & bag then started with the item that kept me going back to it on ebay, the head badge. I spent about 3 hours polishing it using Meguiars Boat/RV metal polish to get 80 years of dirt and tarnish off being very careful not to touch the original brown paint in the center. Followed this up with about 30 minutes of Brasso polish finishing it off with several coats of Carnauba wax. This head badge had original great paint so only cleaned the painted center carefully with Dawn dishwashing soap followed by several layers of Carnauba wax as well. The head badge is metal with a thin coating of brass on the face so had to make sure I didn't go too far with the polishing. Thought it turned out great and will now be some pretty eye candy for the front of the bike.

Here's before, after, & products I used:

image001-1.jpg

Here's a larger pic of the head badge. It actually looks a lot better and really shiny in person, I need to get a better picture in full sun:

image001.jpg

Now to the "fun part" and the reason the white paint on this bike will not be repainted. When I cleaned the front fender I discovered the probable original owner had etched their name in the white paint on the front fender which to me gives this bike additional character and a provenance as to ownership. I would never paint over this and believe it will add a little "Rad Rod Character" to the finished product. The name etched is "Gennard Perrotta". Did a little research online and there are 2 Gennard Perrotta's still alive in the USA. One in his 90's in NY and one in his 80's in KS. Could this have been one of those gentlemens' bike, maybe. I may try to find out at some point by getting in touch with them. The NY Mr. Perrotta would be about the right age to have got this bike new as a kid.

Well enough for this weekend. Thanks for following this build and yes I should have started it under Bike Builds rather than the Bike Gallery. Here's pics of Gennard Perrotta name etching in the fender:

image001-2.jpg

nice bike. what is going on with this build?

Outlaw :arrow:

It would be so cool if the original owner was still alive. It would be cool to show it to Mr. Perrota when it's finished!

Honestly, can't wait to see it restored myself!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Rob, Hope to finish it by next spring. Tracking down correct parts I need now slowly but surely. I do plan to try to find Mr. Perotta if he is one of the two in the US alive today. Good to finally meet you the other week. Hope all is well. I posted a couple of things under gallery I will move to builds now.

My INTRIGUE with the history of this bike deepens. In trying to find out what pedals were appropriate for this bike today I started searching the CABE for any info on J.H. Graham pedals. I didn't get these with the bike but knew they were one of the "rare" items the ebay seller I got the frame from had sold when parting it out. I found two posts that referenced these pedals (that came off this bike) as follows:
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... #post85632
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... nly-1500...

The J.H. Graham pedals from this bike were sold on ebay for $300 to everyone's amazement. Still have found very little on J.H. Graham pedals other than the patents from the original ebay ad at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Torrington-Pedals-M ... 3177672875

The patent that appears to maybe apply to these is:
04/28/1925 Patent
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1535601.html

The ebay seller who sold these pedals to someone & the frame to me did some research and says: "James Graham was General Manager for the Torrington Co during the 1920s Also he was an inventor, there are several Patents Granted to J.H Graham during the 1920s most were assigned to the Torrington CO. Most of the pedal patents greatly attributed to the success and high quality of the Torrington pedals we know today." He lists three different patents including the one referenced above.

Evidently these are very rare unless someone knows different. They are similar to Torringtons, probably his connection as GM. How did such a rare pedal end up on this bike probably from the factory instead of regular Torrington's or Persons of the day you see on Columbia's out of Westfield Mfg of this era? Were they aftermarket additions? I may never know the answer but every step with the restoration of this bikes seems to add to the intrigue and mystery of it just as the name on the fender "Gennard Perotta" did.

Here are pics of the pedal I swiped from the ebay add:
image001-4.jpg

Based on the $300, might be time to start looking at pedals more closely!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any info on Graham or these pedals would be greatly appreciated. :D

Troxel long spring saddle arrived last Friday. It's not the red/cordovan color I wanted but it will do until I can find exactly what I want. Just needs cleaning & some TLC but is in excellent shape for a senior most likely 80+ years old LOL. Seat post came with the seat so knocked 2 items out at once. Also have a correct 20s era handlebar gooseneck on the way. I'll post pics when it arrives. Been working on front fender but not done yet. Slow but sure progress. Unfortunately my employer is eating up all my free time lately, not good.

image002.jpg

image001-5.jpg

By the way if anybody does run across J.H Graham pedals like the ones I posted, I would love the opportunity to purchase them if we can negotiate a price.

Mainly searching for parts right now. Got a neat 1920s gooseneck today that suits the bike well and is representative of the original I didn't get. Great part was it was already re-chromed so one less part that will have to be sent out to be chromed.

image001-8.jpg

Right now searching for pedals, original style (not new or NOS) black coke bottle grips (i missed a great original pair on ebay last week with buy it now, they stayed on ebay about an hour and someone else scooped them up), and front and rear hubs all era appropriate to this bike. Toying with the idea of building 2 sets of rear wheels: 1 with original single speed new departure C or D hub and 1 with Shimano/Nexus 8 speed hub. That way I could show it original and have an easily changed wheel (the Nexus 8 ) for a rider. Just a thought, an expensive one though... Also may still get a Brooks saddle for riding and put the Troxel I got on for show, it's age & price worry me when it comes to riding, one wrong move and it could be ripped/ruined. Again expensive proposition either way.

Also still debating the white paint, leave it original or lightly repaint over the flaws to cover where the maroon is showing through. I know I am not smoothing the old white down as I want it to look original with flaws but the maroon showing through drives the perfectionist in me crazy. Decisions, decisions...... sometimes I hate making decisions.

Any opinions welcomed...... :lol:

Where are you Aton this build? I'm anxious to see where this goes. Your eldorado is sweet and this will probably turn out terrific as well

Haven't posted on the progress on this build in a year. Work has been crazy (way too many hours) so haven't had much time to work on the bike but I have been buying the additional parts & accessories I wanted/needed to complete it over the last year. Still searching for the correct red Troxel seat, the elusive Delta battery can it seems everyone is looking for over on the CABE, a Delta light like was on the bike originally, and a Persons patents pending speedometer (missed the one on ebay last month & still kicking myself for not bidding an insane amount to get it). I also purchased cream Electra Amsterdam tires 700x40. The only thing left to get it on the road is to order a set of Ghisallo wood rims which I'll be ordering this month. Then reassembly time over the next couple of months.

Here are the parts I've been collecting to get the Hartford back on the road:

New Departure Model C (near mint) & Model SM hubs (appears NOS)
IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

Original Torrington 10 pedals, still would love to find some J.H. Graham pedals but these are great instead
IMG_0396.jpg

Original coke bottle grips
IMG_0390.jpg

Persons Majestic Siren
IMG_0551.jpg

NOS Diamond Chain
IMG_0554.jpg

EA Labs Klaxon Horn (NOS) which I am waiting to arrive, shipped out yesterday
KGrHqNHJCEEUR8SsyNBQHuyiUGbQ60_3.jpg

And just for fun which means the bike will need a seat mount tool bag, what every Hartford bicycle needs a Hartford Rubber Works Tire repair Kit
IMG_0353.jpg

Person's Majestic Model 219 reflector that will be going on the bike after cleaning.
IMG_0557.jpg

I am going with Ghisallo "Balloon 700c" wood rims from Wheel Fanatyk. I am considering color options. Tires are cream Electra Amsterdams. My thoughts were originally "A" below, natural but they are now producing these in different colors and am considering "F" below, mahogany which more closely matches the frame. These are 700c rims, not balloon, Ghisallo just calls the profile "balloon". I would welcome any opinions??????

Colors-2.jpg

I'll post additional pics during reassembly. It should be obvious by now I finally decided to put this bike back original or as close as I can possibly get with the exception of the rim/tire combination which does hint strongly at it's wood wheel heritage though. All else is original used or NOS, no reproduction parts on this one. Thanks.

Gary Mc said:
Troxel long spring saddle arrived last Friday. It's not the red/cordovan color I wanted but it will do until I can find exactly what I want. Just needs cleaning & some TLC but is in excellent shape for a senior most likely 80+ years old LOL. Seat post came with the seat so knocked 2 items out at once. Also have a correct 20s era handlebar gooseneck on the way. I'll post pics when it arrives. Been working on front fender but not done yet. Slow but sure progress. Unfortunately my employer is eating up all my free time lately, not good.

image002.jpg

image001-5.jpg

Back when I was a young man... a few years back. When I was in the marines we used to take our 'dress' boots and strip them with shaving cream and a scrub brush... it takes the outer layers of dye and the finish buff from the factory right off... I bet if you did that and let that seat dry enough to redye it using some cordovan leather dye it'd be REALLY close to the original seat color.

Wow good stuff here! I'm a huge Westfield fan and will be following this one.
Did you find out anything else about that red seat? I picked one up a while back and was always curious what bike it could have come off.
I had never seen one before I found one.
Currently its on my BOB but it might find its self on a more appropriate project, once one comes along.
Is this the same seat?
12.jpg

4.jpg

Mole,

Thanks for the tip on stripping & dyeing the seat. I would like to try that out sometime but this one's just too nice (& pricey) to try it on. I have a lead on a correct red Troxel saddle and hope I can get it. It is not quite as nice as my black saddle but it is an exact match for the original on this bike and is in pretty good shape. Will know next week. The black Troxel will then be used on my 1930 Columbia project. Thanks again.

highship,

Yes, your BOB has the correct saddle for my Hartford. These were used a number of years, for sure on 1929-1930 Westfield built bikes like Columbia's, Westfield built Elgins, Hartfords, etc. The saddle changed to a different style Troxel in 1931 on Westfield built bikes. Interesting thing in 1930 is Columbia produced deep red and medium blue bikes and per the catalog the Troxel saddles were dyed/painted the frame color thus the red saddle on the deep red (Columbia Carmine color) bikes. My 1930 Columbia Archbar is going back Berkshire Blue but I have never seen a true blue Troxel saddle. Would love to find one, I found what I thought was correct one I bought off ebay that was blue but upon arriving discovered the blue was not original, it was a bad recover job. I bought it from my iPhone as it was a great deal buy it now but couldn't really see the pics good and didn't want to miss it in case it was correct. Oh well, live & learn. BTW, your BOB is really a sweeeeeeeeeet looking bike. Love it. I am also trying to find a light very similar to yours. Thanks.

Nice!!! :) I had a 1926 Hartford once. I started with the frame, fork, crank and sprocket. Put wood rims and all white tires on it,, made it into a ”board track racer”. I should have kept it. :(

Re: Possible correct seat...

Mole said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20s-30s-TROXEL-PRE-WAR-SADDLE-SEAT-BICYCLE-BIKE-MOTORCYCLE-ELGIN-HARLEY-INDIAN-/320965723138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abb0c4402

Thanks Mole, I'll keep my eyes on that one in case I don't get the one I'm trying to get this weekend. Thanks again.

flatblack50 said:
Nice!!! :) I had a 1926 Hartford once. I started with the frame, fork, crank and sprocket. Put wood rims and all white tires on it,, made it into a ”board track racer”. I should have kept it. :(

Flatblack50, I found your Hartford build on RRB after I bought my frame and it is one of 2 bikes that persuaded/inspired me to go with the Ghisallo wood rims. That was a beautiful bike. I have searched all over the internet & to date have only seen 6 Hartfords including mine & the one you had. 4 of them were mid-late 20's bikes, the other 2 were circa late 1890's. They seem to be a fairly hard bike to find, luckily they were made by Westfield so parts can be found.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! Finally got the correct Red Leather Troxel seat for the Hartford and couldn't be happier. Another item I paid way more than I intended but it came off a parted 1930 Westfield bike & is correct so happy anyway. Leather is in great condition, pics are after an hour of work with Bickmore Bick 4 & Bick 5 Leather cleaners & conditioners on the leather. This seat looked almost black before I began & I should have taken a before pic. These are the same products I use on my vintage Lucchese western boots collection and they work great if you need to treat hard pan leather seats. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND these products. Color in pics came out a lot lighter than the actual cordovan/carmine color which exactly matches the fork & fender color after polishing them as well. Edges where leather joins to pan a little frayed but I'm OK with that, I'll probably just show it with this seat anyway to preserve it. I still have to remove the chassis, clean & polish it.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Other work on the bike is finally progressing. I'm slow intentionally as I like to think about things a while & research where necessary to avoid mistakes and do them to the best of my abilities. My Dad is a true perfectionist & it drove me crazy growing up. Getting much older now I have become a lot like him much to my dismay.

All the chrome has had the rust removed via a white vinegar bath and awaiting final polishing before going back together. Fork and fenders have been carefully rubbed out to show the original brilliant colors. Still have to wax them with Carnauba wax. Plan to start cleaning & carefully rubbing out the frame this weekend. I'll try to post pics of the other progress & discuss all the issues I faced on the fenders. They were much worse than I realized when I got this bike a year ago but think in the end they have come out nice. The rear ducktail of the front fender was just completely mangled & had to be carefully straightened. It is not perfect but doing any more would destroy too much original paint. Finally progress, more to come over the weekend........

Latest posts

Back