1930s cleveland welding co. seat post help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys . so you can see the seat post ,and the nut, and the chrome ring under the nut . the question is ..... is the chrome ring supposed to turn or is it welded in the tube . my post is very stuck. and i was able to budge it a little , however , i noticed that the chrome ring is turning with the post . is this a disaster waiting to happen . or is this something that can be safely worked on or fixed if necessary ? any help appreciated , thanks .
hawthorne021.jpg
. the bike is a 1936 hawthorne . the tires are grand tycoon. i have some great patina fenders comming from e-bay !
hawthorne022.jpg

wow 1st time i see this kind of seat post :shock: i almost look like it is a old crank , so my guess is that the chrome nut should screw freely on the post and the post is attached in some kind of way inside the tube .. "maybe a threaded fitting inside the tube" and the 2 rings on top would serve as compression nuts to lock it in place ... so IMO its normal that the post and chrome nut turns out of the tube

thanks . it seems the chrome ring may be the top part of a collar that is inserted into the tube . it also has that split that can be seen in photo . it is not split on the other side , so it is not a pair of shims like i have seen in other instances . it may be a compression fit ? if i got it out , i may never get it unscrewed from the post anyway ?

so the post is threaded into the seat tube? you rotate the seat tube to raise and lower it?

then the chrome ring must be to tighten back down against the seat tube once the height is where you want it, and the hex nut is to lock it in place. right?

its my guess ... it looks home made(modified)i doubt it it came like that from factory ...

Does kinda look like a crank fit in for a set-back post. The good news is that you can easily bust that split nut off or even just spread it with a chisel to get it to turn off to see whats under. From the looks of the dia. of the threaded portion and the seat tube there may be another piece inserted into the tube, but how held in? It may become more obvious once the split nut is off.

Re:1930's seatpost update/examination

This was very stuck , so i had to beat it out with a large hammer. the whole assembly came out along with the post , after about 50 swings. some sort of pulling device would be better i guess. after i got it out i disassembled it. you can see the post itself is not threaded. the chrome sleeve tapers to a very thin gauge at the bottom. re assembly was a pain , and it doesnt work like it is supposed to work , so i had to beat the post back into the frame with the same hammer ( after inserting the clamp assembly ) . it was a success , as you can see i raised the post a couple of inches . this seams to be an awful design . the chrome sleeve was hard to deal with when i tried to insert it , so i cut it in two halves and that worked similar to the shims used in other models . atleast the seat is firmly in place now , and if it had to come out again , a hammer or puller will work. i would recomend not using this system . hope this helps
hawthorneseatpost002.jpg
hawthorneseatpost001.jpg
hawthorneseatpost004.jpg
hawthorneseatpost003.jpg
hawthorneseat001.jpg

WOW, thats different. It probably funtions better now as a 'collet' type than it ever did since it depends upon compression. Gotta wonder if Rube Goldberg had anything to do with the design?
Glad you 'beat' it (pun intended) :D

thats cool , its a compression post but without the need of a nut on the top like a stem ... humm this might make new cool kind of simplistic handle bar stem 8)

so it's like you're pulling one wedge up into another wedge? If I'm understanding it correctly. Interesting. thanks for the pictures.

Sorry to bring this back, but found this thread via google for 1936 Cleveland Welding Bike so thought a correction might be useful.
The bike in the op is a 1936 HP Snyder built, not CWC.
You should start a thread on how to tell the differences between the various manufacturers of these double bar roadster frames because when you find them they are almost always missing the headbadges

Yeah, one glance at the original post, and you can see that the bike is Snyder-built. Almost as frustrating as the tendency to label all old bikes "Schwinn" is the tendency to just randomly apply a different maker to a frame once Schwinn is ruled out. Folks will look at bike and say "probably a Colombia" or "must be a CWC", but it doesn't take a lot of research to figure out who built your frame, if it's an American frame built in the 20s or later....

Thanks for the correction, Black_Monark.

Latest posts

Back