1933' Colson Moto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0008.JPG

Sprocket looks Shelby, here's my 39 Shelby's sprocket.
Killer bike by the way can't wait to see it finished.

Crank is either Mead or Shelby...(EDIT-20's Westfield) 1920's era moto-bike I think. No drive pin on crank arm.
IMG_1937.JPG

Duck chain. ?? Anyone know anything about this chain?
IMG_1944.JPG

Last edited:
Crank and sprocket are Westfield double-D drive design, and note that the cones and nut are a coarse thread 20 tpi. Keep the cones and nut with those cranks. I believe from 1920's. Not sure when Westfield stopped the double-D and went with the drive pin design. A dog-leg may have been invented to clear the chain guard; clearing the guard meant it probably would more easily clear the RHS/chain stay.
Colson also had 26-tooth front sprockets for people who wished to pedal even harder.

Great info on the crankset PF! I think this bike ran a straight crank on it (see black 26" bike below), but not sure. If you or anyone knows of someone who needs it, let me know. Nice shape and straight.
The chain is a Duckworth, USA-made early 1900's thru 30's or 40-s? in 1" & 1/2" pitch.
They also made motorcycle and chainsaw chains.
Below are two pictures of 1933/4 Colson's from the cabe. One is 28" & the other is 26"
60037img2076[1].jpg

7d870be1e7b19905756b5a2df56e82c2--flyers-motorbikes[1].jpg

Next to-do is re-spoke the original wheels, then build another rider wheel-set. I now know which correct parts I need, so will be looking for them. If anyone has a cross-brace(handlebar), Colson moto crankset or badge, let me know. I still wonder whether the 26" wheels that came on it are original? Seems they are. These early Lobdel clinchers were made in 28" and 26", and I have been seeing a few here and there on early 30's bikes. Below is a pic with a spare 26" wheelset on it with the turquoise paint scrubbed off.
IMG_1941.JPG

Last edited:
I just check my Colson crank, and yes they were straight, pre-chain guard era.
Wrt the Westfield crank/sprockets, the crank may have a letter code, stamped or cast, I believe starting with "A" in 1923.

IMG_1958.JPG

"K" would then mean 1933 if so, or "C" would mean 1926: Nice Westfield crank, but unfortunately not Colson so will move along.

Last edited:
I now think this bike was Tan colored just like the tank. See pics. Opinions?
IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

Orig. rims used to have some nice nickel plating...
IMG_1954.JPG

Also scored some T-10's for the bike. Super clean races.
IMG_1973.JPG

As planned, a rider wheelset is destined to be hung on this moto bike. I just put together the 3spd 515 28hole rear. 28h front is next. The original wheelset I am also slowly piecing back together.
IMG_1998.JPG

Orig. New Departure model "M" front next to DT Swiss 350.
IMG_1947.JPG

Last edited:
I now think this bike was Tan colored just like the tank
Maybe gray primer(?). Perhaps look for original paint inside of the head tube, bottom bracket, or seat tube. The first pictures appeared to have paint on the headset cups (outsides), and stem, so maybe the prior owners did not remove the fork for painting.

Last edited:
Maybe gray primer(?). Perhaps look for original paint inside of the head tube, bottom bracket, or seat tube. The first pictures appeared to have paint on the headset cups (outsides), and stem, so maybe the prior owners did not remove the fork for painting.
From what I have found inside the headtube and bb area, it appears to be tan. Yea, it is a very big surprise to see this color. If you look close and click on the pic above with black and turquoise, you can see "crazing" in the original Tan paint under those two colors, which leads me to believe that it is OG. Also, the motorbike sticker shadow on the tank is ON TOP of the Tan color on the tank.
What is really interesting is that I have not seen a Tan colored Colson 32-34 motorbike anywhere. While this frame is badge-less, it could have been made for another company, but doubt it. This will be one cool old ride when I get it completed with missing badge, correct crank, correct rack and period correct grips.
I have learned a lot about these motorbikes, and hope to have it ALL back together with the old re-paints removed and orig drivetrain on it for a picture show. Then of course I will put the new wheelset on it and ride the heck out of it!!

Nice PF! Ads can tell us a lot for sure. Interesting that in the pic it may be a 28-er with painted rims, and the ad says all ballooners have plated drop centers, which mine has. So yea, great to see this greenish-tan color (which if faded is spot on) in the Ad as I have not seen it on any of the bikes posted on the Cabe or here. (Dark Purple/Red & Black is typical)

Last edited:
Progress...... My "Rider" wheelset is built, and as usual, I can't help myself when it comes to building a high-end wheel set. Stealth anodized brown 400gram DT rims/DB Wheelsmiths with black nips. I figure if this bike is eventually sold, the original rebuilt wheels will go back on it, and I will keep this new wheelset. In order to get the original wheels re-built, it necessitates machine work on the hub shell bearing surfaces, which are not good. This will take some time....:whistle:
I fortunately had saved quite a few Butted 14/15 263 & 270mm prewar galvanized spokes over the years of tearing apart bad wheels, and will use them on the original hubs/rims that came on the bike once hubs get machined. 14/15 gage translates into 2.0/1.7mm. The original spokes were 14/16, or 2.0/1.5mm short-butt. Not easy to find these light gauge butted spokes in the length I need, so I plan to use the old 14/15's that I saved. This will take a lot more time than just slapping a new wheelset together like the one below. In the mean time, here are a couple of pics of the orig. 14/16's and the new rider wheels.
IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

Yes, that is a titanium skewer! Couldn't help but put in on an 84 yr.-old...

Last edited:
You are reading my mind PF! That crankset sports a 26tooth, or 52 equiv. It looks to have long arms, which could hit the stay. There is a 22T ladies dogleg crankset that may be Colson that I am watching, but a bit pricey. I have an Ichibike 11t skippy cog already on its way for the dreigang 3-spd. Yes, with a 52t ring up front, 22 in back coupled with the 3-spd, the bike will be very ride-able... The waiting game continues. :whistle: In april, I will start working the house paint off the dead-straight fenders and get the bike running.
For anyone watching this thread, keep me in mind for a Colson Flyer head badge, the aforementioned crankset, and a motorbike rack....
:bigboss:

Last edited:
Maybe I'll check again, I thought it was a 24, with characteristic "Hershey's kisses" shaped holes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302640257564
Might get one cheaper as a chain-ring alone, but a matched set is nice too.
A 26'er might look nice as well, just because of the visual size.
I have been corrected that similar-looking 22-tooth versions may be a later "Huffy" design (or Huffman).

As a cyclist/mechanic/hack ratter, I rarely delve into a "preservation". This particular machine on the other hand is a very rare, depression-era bike. I am avoiding a flogging by collectors if not done right. Speaking of correct, here is the best example I could find of my bike. Problems present themselves though. Not the same rare clincher 35mm wide 26" Lobdels, and no Long-Pull bars, this one having the clamp-on brace. It is an earlier Silver Ring badged 28" bike. Not only that, the bikes I have found are not necessarily original. Variations exist, and the missing Head Badge is killing me, and may be my undoing. Is it a Flyer, or a Rover? (All CABE pics below-thanks)
sh102915[1].jpg

And even more rare, the two-speed Colson Hi-Lo, with a geared crankcase and shifter under the tank. It has the same 26" Lobdel clinchers as mine.
IMG_3222[1].JPG

248582-88595b1644f67e41617d76a0d5bd6258[1].jpg

1930's%20colson%20hi-lo%205[1].jpg

PhilF: Regarding the sprocket. You may be right. Most of these machines, whether 28", 26", one or two speed, sported 26t sprockets. All these frames are exact, except for the narrower and longer seat and chain stays on the 28" models. In the end, I may give in and secure a 26t sprocket, which do show up. All of these bikes have the straight crank arms as well, so a dogleg is out unless it becomes impossible to source a correct crank. Below is another version crankset on a 26-er 2-spd below. Notice slim cutouts near crank and Hershy Kiss cutouts, which you point out are very different than the Schwinnies'
1930's%20colson%20hi-lo%202[1].jpg
I have my eyes on this 22T one though!!
s-l1600[4].jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a correct crankset with hardware from a very helpful member of The Cabe who was willing to help and let it go as he is a Colson enthusiast. Thank-you. The piece was critical to bringing this bike back.
20180323_161321[1].jpg

20180323_164615_Burst01[1].jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back