1936 LWB Colson Packard

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey members. I picked this up a few months ago on The Cabe. I had been loooking for a tall-framed,long wheel base(LWB) prewar bike for some time. A fellow member there informed my about the 2yr only(36,37) Colson big frame bikes. He happened to have one for sale, and thats how my love affair with Prewar Colson's started. I've been finding parts here and there to get her rolling, and more to hopefully get her "correct". I don't have many before pics, as it was basically a bunch of parts in a box. Little by little, got a dropstand on ebay, another LWB for parts(mainly the missing trussrods),some crossbars,a rusty longspring seat(which is surprisingly comfortable sans cushioning) and other small items to get it together. I bought it with the incorrect 37 peaked fenders(though I love them!), so I'll be holding onto them for another build. I recently won a set of correct triple-step drop-centers on ebay in OG red paint. I'm thinking of painting the rest of the bike to match whenever I get enough $$$ for a complete resto. I will update this thread periodically as she approaches completion. For now, I'll ride her around as-is. She made her maiden voyage last weekend at the Coasters ride in Long Beach. I literally rode it 1 block upon getting it together at 3:00am Sunday morning. No issues so far as I've taken it on small trips locally.

IMAG0837.jpg

IMAG0835.jpg

IMAG0836.jpg

Awesome, I love that frame, I have what I believe to be a 38 Colson, only it was a barebones frame, made into the perfect big boy bmx. 8)
Picture969.jpg

Picture967.jpg

Nice! Very similar, but spacing between the curved bars is a little different. Also(as far as I've been told), LWB frames where only made 36 & 37. I'm thinking of building up a boadtracker-ish type bike with my leftovers.

fordmike65 said:
Nice! Very similar, but spacing between the curved bars is a little different. Also(as far as I've been told), LWB frames where only made 36 & 37. I'm thinking of building up a boadtracker-ish type bike with my leftovers.

Thanks, not sure what the year is to be exact, I know the wheelbase is 3 inches longer then any of other strait bar or canti frame bikes I have at 45 inches (axle nut to axle nut, front to back) Lots of room between the front wheel and pedals when I turn. Same with my 37 Schwinn twin bar roadster, looks alot like this frame. Since these two, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for these late 30's frame, ride nice. :D

Terry66 said:
highship said:
Very Nice!
How would someone go about dating a Colson?

I would try flowers and dinner and see where it gets you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sprite burns when it comes out of your nose,... :lol:

Latest posts

Back