1940s Ward Hawthorne?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this Ward Hawthorne bike up today at an auction. s/n is G54337. Wondering if anyone can approximate the year and maybe what it is worth.

29erdd.jpg

After about an hour of researching, I'm somewhat convinced that you have is a 1941 Hawthorne Comet in Lakeland Green and White, with a Shockmaster Springer Fork. I believe the chainguard is aftermarket and not original. You might be able to find a more definetive answer over on "The Cabe".

ustolemybike said:
Picked this Ward Hawthorne bike up today at an auction. s/n is G54337. Wondering if anyone can approximate the year and maybe what it is worth.

29erdd.jpg

Thank You so much for the information!! I was thinking of selling it on ebay what do you think it is worth?

I'm not real good with current prices. They vary from the Midwest and the two coasts. One problem is that it's a heavy bike and costly to ship, another issue is I hate the idea of giving Ebay 15% to sell the thing.Honestly, it might be more profitable to part it out, although I hate to see an original in that nice of shape get parted.Give me a few minutes to check out some more options for you.

ustolemybike said:
Thank You so much for the information!! I was thinking of selling it on ebay what do you think it is worth?

The G serial points to a 1940. This was built by Cleveland Welding Company and badged by Montgomery Wards as their Hawthorne line. Unfortunately it's been repainted. I just picked up a very similar bicycle myself. The chainguard is not original but it is a period correct aftermarket part. Other than that, the parts look original, besides the missing dropstand (but which ones aren't?!). Also, it looks as though somebody's got skinny tires on there when they should be balloon 2.125s.

Enjoy! It's a nice bike. Unfortunately, as it sits, it's worth more in parts due to the paint not being original and it being a ladies bike. The springer is nice, the rack is desirable, the skirts.. but that would be a shame! If you do part it out though.. I'd make a fair offer for the headlight.

Here's my bike: wrong chainguard here as well!
DSCF4225.jpg

Latest posts

Back