1946 Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just acquired today! This bike is very close in appearance to my first 26 incher, which I got for Christmas, 1958.
20190102_171514.jpg

And the seller threw these in, along with original truss rods!
20190102_171739.jpg

I couldn't me more thrilled!

Last edited:
The headlight actually works; all it needed was a battery. I found a skiptooth cog online that snapped right on to the Nexus hub! The only thing left for me to do is add a Sturmey Archer thumb shifter built for Shimano three-speeds. It's on the way

Looking good!

I have the same twist shift on my Nexus and want to swap to a thumb shifter too. Let me know how the SA shifter works on the Nexus if you could. Thanks!

That is one good lookin bike!

Also, for what it’s worth, the old 70s style shimano thumb shifters work with the modern nexus 3 too
I've had that on my old Schwinn but the opposite, a nexus shifter on an old 3CCC shimano hub. It worked, but 3rd gear was 1 on the shifter and 1 was 3.
I would use an old shimano thumb shift, but I can't find a good one, while there are tons of SA thumbshifters. I think the throw is different but I hope I'm wrong.

I've had that on my old Schwinn but the opposite, a nexus shifter on an old 3CCC shimano hub. It worked, but 3rd gear was 1 on the shifter and 1 was 3.
I would use an old shimano thumb shift, but I can't find a good one, while there are tons of SA thumbshifters. I think the throw is different but I hope I'm wrong.
The throw is different. But, SA does make a shimano compatible thumb shifter.

Latest posts

Back