1947 Hawthorne "Mild One" (Pedals and stem done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the tire selection. Fits the build well.

That chain wheel looks vintage.

The lens looks like a boat light, but the thing is part of a portable lantern that was popular in the 60's. That's the top part, it attached to a battery box with a 6 volt lantern battery.
I had one and never used it.
upload_2017-1-21_9-4-50.jpeg

The lens looks like a boat light, but the thing is part of a portable lantern that was popular in the 60's. That's the top part, it attached to a battery box with a 6 volt lantern battery.
View attachment 43857
Who needs antiques roadshow... We all have wildcat.:grin:

View attachment 43857
Cool!

I finished up my truss rods today. The bracket is a standard keyed headset spacer with two pieces (from the back of a folding chair) welded to the sides. The rods are made from automotive fuel line. Total cost about $10.
wards11_zpsqwa7nrlw.jpg

wards12_zpssbcnaprl.jpg

Great job on those!

So a buddy of mine calls and says he's cleaning up the yard and has a few bicycles if I want them. Unfortunately they are 10 speed ladies huffys that have been outside for years. While I'm there I notice this 1940's exercise bike which happens to have a set of big block heavy duty Torrington pedals. Score! One more piece of the puzzle. I won't be using the rubber toe straps on this bike.
bElQl5S.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah them are purty...
Whatcha gonna do with em'?

Carl.

I'm going to have to do something about that stem though.

Any pre or post war low-rise stem would look and work great, matching the frame better. Rotate-able longhorn bars like you have are a favorite of mine for adjusting ride height with multiple hand positions available. Good looking chainring! Have you tried putting big black ballooners on it yet for grins?

I'm out of 26" tires, so I don't have any others to try. I'm thinking about running fenders so these current tires will be easy enough to fit.

Any pre or post war low-rise stem would look and work great, matching the frame better. Rotate-able longhorn bars like you have are a favorite of mine for adjusting ride height with multiple hand positions available. Good looking chainring! Have you tried putting big black ballooners on it yet for grins?

The same exercise bike which provided the pedals had a really cool stem that was like two feet long, but didn't have the conventional expanding attachment. Unfortunately it was bent in the middle co I cut off the usable end. The rest might end up as a shifter or something. The rest of the parts came from a mongoose mtb stem.
BaZupFo.jpg

I created a simple fixture to align everything for welding.
WQ2FZTS.jpg

All welded together.
bHMKSLm.jpg

Last edited:
I made the final four pieces this morning and got them installed. These pedals have a longer outer bearing cup to make up for the width of the pedal straps. The brass pieces take up the slack.
wards15_zpsjep68s56.jpg
Nice work, they will age nicely there!

Latest posts

Back