1947 Saginaw Powerbike build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine just finished filming a new antique show with the same guys that started American Pickers/ Canadian Pickers. This 1947 Saginaw Powerbike is one of the first items he purchased for the new show. (Show airs in Oct) To make a long story short, this ugly duckling now belongs to me. :)
zmnscp.jpg

30ayni9.jpg

It's missing a few pieces (front wheel, battery box, fender etc etc) and I'm sure things like the battery box will be hard to find. One day this rare bird will get a complete resto but for now, until I locate the missing items, I figured I'd give it a face lift. This will be a military inspired build based on equipment like the cushman m53.
fbfc6f.jpg

It's been sometime since my last build but just like riding a bike, it's not something you forget. I risked the plague of the porcupine (You know.....When ya stick a wire wheel rated at 4500rpm on your angle grinder that's rated at 11000rpm) and stripped down the frame in min's. I spent a few more picking the quills from my hands/arms/chest and face.lol
16jizvt.jpg

Some flat krylon Camo series paint and this build is well under way.
34smiv4.jpg

Caught a vid clip the other morning for the promo for Backroad Bounty, the new TV show that landed this bike in my care. (Bike is actually in the commercial)

15hdgcm.jpg

Bike is starting to shape up. I had to replace the neck cause it broke when tightening the new bars. Luckily I had an old 40's neck down in the basement. I'm actually kinda happy it broke now and not on the road. Pedals I saved from a Schwinn Exercycle I used for a build here a few years back.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-unwanted-exercycles-parts-to-good-use.28257/

An old brown leather jacket for the new seat skin and a new set of bars and grips. (The old ones are bent to heck)

I'll probably end up stenciling the bike in white letters/emblems but I wanna wait till I get the entire bike together to make any decisions.
Enjoy

thats awesome good job!

Somewhere in my files I have plans from a magazine from the 50's on a DIY version of one of these. The main difference was that that version eliminated the pedals. Same basic concept though. I should try and find them.

Somewhere in my files I have plans from a magazine from the 50's on a DIY version of one of these. The main difference was that that version eliminated the pedals. Same basic concept though. I should try and find them.
Would love to see that!

Luke.

image.jpeg
Would love to see that!

Luke.
I found them. Here is the cover page. I don't want to hijack this thread so I can start a new one and post the entire plan set if anyone is interested. At one time I started this build having cut all the angle iron pcs but never got past that for one reason or another (probably the fact that I was in my late 40's and had a second kid at the time - oops)

View attachment 15250
I found them. Here is the cover page. I don't want to hijack this thread so I can start a new one and post the entire plan set if anyone is interested. At one time I started this build having cut all the angle iron pcs but never got past that for one reason or another (probably the fact that I was in my late 40's and had a second kid at the time - oops)
I think I have similar plans on a disk. Some cool stuff from back in the day.

Latest posts

Back