1951 CWC Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m loving your build - very nice! CWC frames are hard to beat. I’m currently collecting parts for a Pleasure Liner build. I love the Luxury style tank with the chrome fins, but I’m not a fan of the chrome fenders or the big gaudy (IMO) Luxury Liner decal, so it will have the painted gothic fenders like yours.
D09E581D-C378-4F35-B5F7-8DB0E0549DFA.jpeg

I’m loving your build - very nice! CWC frames are hard to beat. I’m currently collecting parts for a Pleasure Liner build. I love the Luxury style tank with the chrome fins, but I’m not a fan of the chrome fenders or the big gaudy (IMO) Luxury Liner decal, so it will have the painted gothic fenders like yours.View attachment 117733
I agree with you. I prefer painted fenders too. And i also like the other Luxury Liner guard more then the reproduction one.
img_0385-jpg.477316

Good luck with the builds!
Isn't that the frame from the WF i saw parted out at ebay? :)

I agree with you. I prefer painted fenders too. And i also like the other Luxury Liner guard more then the reproduction one.
img_0385-jpg.477316

Good luck with the builds!
Isn't that the frame from the WF i saw parted out at ebay? :)

Yes, probably so. :)
I bought the Luxury Liner tank a while back thinking it would fit the the red frame. My red frame was stored when I ordered the tank, and I had never paid that much attention to the differences in the bottom bar. My other 2 CWC’s are 40’s bikes, so i thought they were all the same.

Are you going with the Luxury Liner rack?

BTW, the paint can be stripped and the other Luxury Liner guard can be painted to look like one above. They sell the decal. I planned on doing that on one of the repro ones until I realized the Pleasure Liner had an all painted guard and decided to go that route.

BTW, the paint can be stripped and the other Luxury Liner guard can be painted to look like one above. They sell the decal. I planned on doing that on one of the repro ones until I realized the Pleasure Liner had an all painted guard and decided to go that route.
No, i am going to use the rack i have posted previously here. This project has taken enough time and money already for me to hunt for more original parts :) Though the rack i am intending to use is almost period correct and would look harmonic on this build in my opinion. For the reason i don't hunt down all the original parts i am not going to use Luxury Liner decal on the guard, but rather just make a rodamster one. The bike is going to be professionally painted soon, so this decal would be reproduced in paint. I also got the "Masterweld" decal, since it is harder to reproduce by photos, and i am planning to vectorize it and share it too.

@Starnger loving your build! The CWC frame is one of my all time favorites, and you're right...gotta have the peaked fenders. Where did you score those segmented pedals, and do they come in different colors? Can't wait to see how you tie it all together. Here's my 1948 custom.
20190312_171259-01.jpeg

@Starnger loving your build! The CWC frame is one of my all time favorites, and you're right...gotta have the peaked fenders. Where did you score those segmented pedals, and do they come in different colors? Can't wait to see how you tie it all together. Here's my 1948 custom.
View attachment 117953

I love that ‘48!

Y’all are making me want to un-rat the Rat Pilot!
4FF15A62-46E0-4F62-BEFF-3D6086AB5038.jpeg
555FBD0E-A19E-4652-A5F3-2DC65EA311FC.jpeg
8A865F94-7DD6-44CC-AF5B-8026EFB11B68.jpeg

View attachment 117953
Thanks for your appreciation! I can't wait for the build to be done too! :)
I got those pedals on local ebay-like website, they had no packaging or manufacture stamp, so the maker is unknown. Those are the only ones like that i saw, so i bought both sets. Now someone else on same website has another set for sale, similar shape. The seller claims it is in his family for many years, but he can't say the maker or year either. The only reason i have not bought them yet is because they are for European 9/16 thread, so i can't use them with any of my vintage American bikes.
Снимок экрана 2020-04-29 в 19.28.29.png

Or get another one done :D I am also feeling like building another CWC bike, but this time completely different style, more rat and custom then this build i am working on :)
I am collecting parts for the Roadmaster build and I also have the other CWC frame. I am considering doing a muscle bike build with the red frame. I’ve always felt like the CWC frame would make a tough looking muscle bike.

I would like to do a full, correct restoration on the Pilot one day though. I love black bikes, and I’d love to see it back like that one day.

I am collecting parts for the Roadmaster build and I also have the other CWC frame. I am considering doing a muscle bike build with the red frame. I’ve always felt like the CWC frame would make a tough looking muscle bike.

I would like to do a full, correct restoration on the Pilot one day though. I love black bikes, and I’d love to see it back like that one day.
Yes that frame is MEAN! Look up 'Roadmaster Renegade' muscle bikes. They are my personal favorite. Though they are AMF made, they still have the CWC style frame and it makes the perfect muscle bike.

Thanks for your appreciation! I can't wait for the build to be done too! :)
I got those pedals on local ebay-like website, they had no packaging or manufacture stamp, so the maker is unknown. Those are the only ones like that i saw, so i bought both sets. Now someone else on same website has another set for sale, similar shape. The seller claims it is in his family for many years, but he can't say the maker or year either. The only reason i have not bought them yet is because they are for European 9/16 thread, so i can't use them with any of my vintage American bikes.
View attachment 117957
Are those pink or red?

Yes that frame is MEAN! Look up 'Roadmaster Renegade' muscle bikes. They are my personal favorite. Though they are AMF made, they still have the CWC style frame and it makes the perfect muscle bike.

I was working on my Huffy muscle bike this evening, and since I already had the wheels off and all, I had to throw them on the CWC frame and OMG! :)

I think I’ll be doing this build down the road!
A4B75786-B9C0-4A42-BD0F-B119F408E270.jpeg

Finally back to the build :)
I have recieved a package full of goodies from szathmarig at the Cabe. He was parting out his CWC Whizzer, so i got myself few last long desired bits!
20200425_133420-jpg.1181268

Firstly, the cool original headset. I just love the shape of those cups so much, i'd try to clean them up and make them shine a bit more, so i will put them on later when the frame is painted.
IMG_5327.JPG

Secondly, the Shock Master fork!
IMG_5329.JPG

I never thought it would be so smooth and soft! So far this is the best springer fork i have ever tried. Way softer then Schwinn-style springers i owned and far better then modern Monark style reproductions. One problem is crusty springs. I don't yet know what to do with them. I guess i'd give them an acid bath and then see how bad do they actually look. I may need to re-chrome them in the end.
IMG_5330.JPG

Then here is the reflector i was hunting for! I'm so glad i got exactly the version i wanted. I'd still need to figure out the distance for the holes in the rear fender. The bikes i see online actually have it mounted in very different positions. I guess i'd just try to figure where i like mine.
IMG_5331.JPG

The other thing that is not pictured is 3 original curved fender brackets. Somehow the distance for the holes on them is different then in my fenders. Maybe because of different production years? I also found the holes in the brackets have threading in them, like if they were made for being attached with bolts. Unlike the riveted ones i had. I guess i'd need to make new holes in the brackets and stick to bolt connection.

Another thing is i experience the same issue with my stem like i had with the green fork. Seems that they actually were designed to take 22.2mm stem, but just with very limited insertion depth. Seems like i'd need to find an alternative stem for it, since the one i had on this bike earlier i am already using for my BO15 Schwinn bike.

Some updates. Was working on the bike yesterday evening.
First of all, forgive me for doing that, but i just had to. Drilled out the seat tube from 15.8mm to 16mm. This little difference was a real splinter. No way to buy a rod in 15.8mm (inch size of older bike seat posts) in Europe. And to lathe them down is a big problem, since the ones i need are very long. Then even if i do that they have to be polished afterwards. And ordering one from US is just another hundred bucks. I have decided the gods of vintage bikes would forgive me that little customization. It almost does not look different and it still can take the original seatpost, just needs to be clamped a bit harder.
IMG_5335.JPG

Then i have fitted the rack. The way it is meant to be it did interfered with the fender brackets. I have tried to mount it upside down but i did not like the result.
IMG_5337.JPG

So my decision was to run 3 original fender brackets and make a custom bracket to mount the fender to the rack, kind of like it was done on some Roadmasters. Here comes some Cardboard Aided Design.
IMG_5338.JPG

The first try almost fits well. I'm lucky the polish rack fits perfectly to the american bike and even rack holes are aligned with the fender holes.
IMG_5339.JPG

So, the second version fits perfectly. Also i have made threaded holes in the fender brackets, same way as they originally had, but for my fender hole distance.
IMG_5340.JPG

Then i have made some holes in the rear fender. Now i am thinking i could have moved them like 2mm lower. After mounting the wheels it looks different then before. But i guess it is too late now.
IMG_5341.JPG

Threw some temporary stem and front wheel on and gave it a spin. Soooo smooth!
IMG_5344.JPG

Latest posts

Back