1956 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
OK, this bike found me actually.
So, last week I post some pics of the 1950 ladies Monark I built for my wife.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54046&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Tybee+Siren

I purchased that ladies bike from forum member 'bicycles123' and he kindly offered me my next project.
It's this 1956 JC Higgins!

DSCF3628.jpg

Can you believe it? Bikes like this aren't very common in the metro Atlanta market, not to mention one this complete, in this pristine a condition.
All I can say is, 'bicycles123' I'm so very appreciative of your generosity, truly appreciative. As we discussed this bike is gonna be a tribute to my dad. I lost him in 1993. He was born in 1944, so this was probably one he would have drooled over in the Sears Christmas catalog.

Enough of that for now, here's some more pics. Any idea who made the frame? I thought Murray with that chainring.

DSCF3634.jpg

But did Murray 'lug' their frames, is it by CWC?

DSCF3633.jpg

Her'e's a few more. Check out those red pedals and grips, yeaaaaaaaaah buddY!

DSCF3627.jpg

DSCF3629.jpg

DSCF3630.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3632.jpg

DSCF3635.jpg

DSCF3637.jpg

DSCF3638.jpg

DSCF3636.jpg

Stay tuned, gonna be a while before I can get to this one. Gonna start doing some research on color schemes,maybe.......

Cheers,
Dr. T

Great find Doc! :D I wouldn't be able to repaint that though :mrgreen:

Yep...that's Murray built. That's pretty much the same bike as my build off Hot Rod Higgins. Mine is a '51 but didn't look quite that nice when I got it. It was complete except the tank. You've got a killer bike there. I love the old Higgins frames.

Extremely Cool!!!
Can't wait to see what you do!

AWESOME find i like it looks great . I just found a mens 57 Higgins Tank bike they are way cool... 8)

Thanks guys, it is THE most complete 'vintage' bike I've ever started with, which makes it (for me) a challenge of what to do with it. :roll: :mrgreen: Restore? Resto-mod? Custom?

bicycles123 sent met me the Sears Christmas catalog page from 1956 (it's on the right at the bottom). Per the ad, it was only available in 'flamboyant metallic red'. Honestly, I like red, just not sure about this metallic red.....
BTW...how hard is it to find one of those headlights? Is it my new 'Holy Grail'? Got one?
1956SearsChristmasBookpage349.jpg

When I picked the bike up, he told me that from his research, this model was released for the Christmas catalog along with the Jetflow. If you look at it, it has the same frame as the Jetflow and the Colorflow (which must have been in the 'regular' Sears catalog because it isn't shown in the Christmas one). It also has the same 'base' tank as the Colorflow, no horn or jewels, just the chrome bottom piece. Additionally, it's rear rack differs from the Jet and Color models. Obviously, it came with a standard fork w/truss rods and no beehive springer.

So, what do you think? Should I restore it? Or build me a 'Color-faux' I HAVE to use those sweet pedals and grips, so red will be in the color scheme. Maybe I'll replace the beehive with a Monark I have.....hmmmmm...
The following pictures are blatantly stolen from the 'show us your JC Higgins' thread, so if I show your bike, it's because I really dig it!
Maybe maroon/red/gold?
5b50f596.png

How about a deep green/red/gold? I'm REALLY digging on this, with some cream Thick Bricks.... :roll: Mo' fatta, mo betta, right?
color1z.jpg

How about gray (or steel gray)/red/white?
JCHigginsColorflowa.jpg

Got plans for another 'black bike', so no Hot Rod Higgins copy coming...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like I said, gonna take my time with this one.... what do you think?

Let's here from ya!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Cool Bike. How about some pipes on the tank or it would be cool to actually have those louvers cut into the tank and guard.

If it were mine, I would clean it up, maybe put some nicer wheels/tires and leave it as is. Personally I think your bike has some really nice patina.

I usually won't rat or restore a bike unless it is in parts or maybe the paint is not salvageable. Here is the Hot Rod Higgins the day I brought it home complete with two coats of house paint.

higgins1.jpg

Well, couldn't wait to get home to test something out...
The Thick Brick fits in the fork with plenty of room to spare!
DSCF3639.jpg

In preparation of a future teardown, I sprayed key areas like the pedals, wheels seatpost stem (it's loose BTW :mrgreen: ) with some WD40. Some got on the paint and, you know what? The red doesn't look too bad after all.
DSCF3642.jpg

Maybe I'll order some 'magic water' from Texas, borrow some oxalic acid from Double Nickel and DonOne for the chrome, get a new set of chrome 24"s, maybe a 2-speed kickback, a new seat (got something in mind to keep with the weathered look of everything), some antique white to touch up the fender straps (only place with REAL rust from what I can tell, hooray for me!) ......hmmmm

Maybe I'll get to this build sooner than I thought... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Awesome bike.

Are you sure it's a 56 ?

I have what I thought was a 56, and was told / read that was the year there was a strike and mine has the euro 3 piece cranks, imported during the said strike.

will have to see if I have a pic, mine's super rough .

great as-is, will be watching to see this one cleaned up .

I like the bricks on there Tank!

I'm gonna start a build/rebuild thread on this puppy soon.

I looked through the 'How To' manual, but didn't see any thread about restoring old paint, can anyone point to one?

See you in 'Builds'!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I looked through the 'How To' manual, but didn't see any thread about restoring old paint, can anyone point to one?

I thought I saw one that involved a Flux Capacitor.

Right now I'm heavily leaning toward 'refreshing' the paint and chrome, applying a satin clear coat and updating the wheelset/tires.
Do you think 2000 grit is fine enough?. That's after I give it a good dish soap/Simple Green scrub down, of course. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back