1956 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were mine, I would clean it up, maybe put some nicer wheels/tires and leave it as is. Personally I think your bike has some really nice patina.

I usually won't rat or restore a bike unless it is in parts or maybe the paint is not salvageable. Here is the Hot Rod Higgins the day I brought it home complete with two coats of house paint.

higgins1.jpg
heya teryy66
you;re hot rod higgins was an inspiration to my recent rat higgins i just built.
mines not anywhere near as cool as youre hotrod higgins but you definitely inspired my idea with her what a gorgeous bike man you got skills
and tanksalot wat an amazing find!!!!

that is def holy grail with that light!!
id almso say just regrease new tires maybe and a quick wipe down and call it done.
great score man
heres my hot rod Higgins inspired 56 Higgins i believe Murray built.

i swapped the bars and added a bat decor on the stem.

Slowly picking up speed on the project.
The original seat had a metal top pan and a pressed fiber (or something) bottom one. I schemed how to get the red piping stitched back on, but no luck yet. So I'm going to use a donor seat of similar vintage with two metal pans. So no piping, but if all goes well, white leather instead of vinyl.
Here's how it sits now with two layers of flooring padding covered with white duct tape. Getting some spray adhesive this week

hatudy7e.jpg

In other news, I worked on restoring the Wald model 54 pedals, here's what they looked like when I took them off the bike.
ymaqabyj.jpg
averyhur.jpg
me4ubasu.jpg

Blown apart for reference
y8u5e3uj.jpg

After wire wheel, polishing and some new pedal blocks (I know they're Torrington style, but the red licorice originals were pretty chewed up). I'm super happy with them. Applied a little WD40 to the bare metal to keep them from rusting up again.
ejurupy9.jpg
u4a4umeb.jpg
a7a9upa8.jpg
ytehyza3.jpg

The paint is coming along SLOWLY, the rack is finished, the fenders are close, the rest.......
I think I have the restored headbadge worked out too, no pics of it yet.

That's it for now, stay tuned.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those pedals look nice!
You might could paint them with some silver spray paint if your worried about the rust coming back. Looks like the pedal blocks are big enough to keep your shoes off of the metal bits. Just a thought, they look great the way they are.:)

Those are the same blocks I used last year. I love how the squared off Wald pedal end compliments the beefy blocks.

Yeah king, they're so chubby, I could pedal in sandals or barefeet (which I wouldn't do because that would be unsafe....). They are a slightly different red than Ian's grips, but they're close enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those 'new' pedals look great. Where did you get the red blocks from?

Broke out the old drafting tools and started reproducing the graphics.
Still have to clean it up and trace it again in ink. I may try to paint it on, first the black shadow, then the gold lettering. Trust me, I'll practice it first......a FEW times. :)
ahameqeg.jpg

Stay tuned...
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been recuperating from a tonsillectomy (not fun at 48), have made only slight advances on the bike. One coat of color on the frame, needs another, then clearcoat. Thought the fenders were done (for the third time), but I decided to upgrade the rear reflector to a Colorflow 'tombstone' style. So, I'll have to CAREFULLY drill a new hole to mount it. It needs rechromed, along with the tank 'tips', the truss rods and truss bracket. No progress on the tank or chainguard graphics ( I need to just 'man up' and do them). Anybody who knows me, knows this is typical. My builds are 'journeys'..... :D

Stay tuned all, hopefully some pics next week.
Cheers,
Dr. T

With this bike being a resto-mod, I couldn't resist replacing the kickstand and seatpost clamp with some rechromed units from 'rusty513'
se4utege.jpg

urunamuj.jpg

7e5u7ava.jpg

e7a4ezad.jpg

ezurujum.jpg

Thanks to rusty!
Making SLOW progress on the bike itself.
If anyone has a bezel and visor for a Delta Rocket light, let me know....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hi if you want to part ways with the kick stand please let me know?
thanks

OK, frame, fork, fenders and rack are painted, polished and waxed.
Here's a little preview. The pictures don't do justice to the metal flake, I'll try to find a way to get better pics as I go along.
BTW, the fenders are the same color as the frame, the lighting is throwing it off.
Off to Home Depot later for the parts to make my 'cup press'.
If all goes well, I'll get the front end and BB installed tonight.
Stay tuned.....
enagarun.jpg

aqa7e3eg.jpg

qa8a3ate.jpg

uduqydug.jpg

mumy3ene.jpg

ynygaqeq.jpg

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Nick and Luke!
Well, yesterday was my 19th wedding anniversary so.....no bike work, but today is another day folks!
So, got the headset and BB cups pressed in, fork installed and the crankset installed. I polished the original headset cups and thoroughly cleaned the bearings for the crankset I decided to use an NOS Wald unit and a newer Murray crank and 46 tooth chainring to make it easier for this old guy to peddle. While I was at it, I couldn't resist installing the pedals to get a sneak peek. Everything went together like a dream, I literally did everything with just my hands. I'm really pleased with it so far.
Enough talking, here's the pics.
a466f88f496fcbf2b677e989ab64e580.jpg

1cf70ab5dcbfb2f16c30e80584f7278f.jpg

a01165bdc92deb2553ce29fccab833a6.jpg

13a851fda8ee7a9b59c7a3daf8957117.jpg

Stay tuned.....
Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back