1958 Hiawatha Rat-o Chief (COMPLETED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It doesn't look like I will finish the Astro Supreme in time for the entry deadline, but I figured I could at least post a quick, bolt-together project that I just started.

I picked up an AMF-built '58 Hiawatha Strato Chief from @Hawthornecrazy , and decided to try the stem/bars I'd planned for the Astro Supreme out on it. I've got to say that I'm pretty pleased so far. The original R pedal had a bent spindle, so I put a pair of old Schwinn pedals on.

A pair of crash bars from the stash found their way onto the rear, and there's a pair of wheels on the way - could be riding it in just a few days from now.

Last edited:
Nice! An early AMF (pre-star sprocket) with good graphics and paint along with the original seat. I like the handlebars too, it should make a good cruiser. I'll bet the paint shines up too.

Nice! An early AMF (pre-star sprocket) with good graphics and paint along with the original seat. I like the handlebars too, it should make a good cruiser. I'll bet the paint shines up too.
I'm trying to refrain from swapping any more parts than I already have, and we'll see how much of the paint I can bring back. The left fork leg and front fender were obviously the most heavily exposed, and have faded from red to a golden orange. :grin:

Looks great with those bars on it, love it! :thumbsup:
Me too! Definitely not my most intensive build, but the graphics are in good shape, and it just feels like it''s going to be lots of fun to cruise around on. Wheels are going to be painted drop centers - white with red stripes - of a similar vintage to the bike with a Komet rear coaster and supposedly rider-quality original tires. This thing should look pretty classic when it's "finished".

Ugh. According to Fed Ex tracking, my wheels have been sitting in Phoenix, AZ for the last three days. I really want to ride this bike on Saturday, if at all possible.

Not sure how I missed this, bike looks good with those bars.
Hope you get your wheels soon.

Not sure how I missed this, bike looks good with those bars.
Hope you get your wheels soon.
Latest tracking indicates they may be delivered tomorrow, which means that I should have Friday night/early Saturday to get it into shape to ride at the Left Coast Cycles event on Saturday afternoon. If not, my Typhoon isn't TERRIBLY out of place with all of the vintage steel that shows up for their rides.

Update: Wheels have apparently been delivered, but teenager has a performance tonight. I hope she understands the sacrifices I am making to support her scholastic activities. o_O
Enjoy the performance Dave. And then, burn the midnight oil in the shop....10 yrs from now, you won't regret it.

Latest posts

Back