1958 Schwinn Racer - Completed!

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by horsefarmer, Dec 19, 2019.

1. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

[​IMG]
    This is a 1958 Schwinn racer girls 26" lightweight in Florida green. This was a $30 swap meet find. Disassembled and complete except for the bars and grips. This came with Sachs made "Schwinn approved" coaster brake hub.
    [​IMG]
    Previous owner tried to fit EA-3 (Iso 590 mm) tires on Schwinn 26 x 1 3/8 S-6 (Iso 597 mm) wheels. They got one mounted, no tube inside though, and second one they started to mount it and gave up. Fenders are pretty decent pins and all and it has a "shark fin" on the front fender.
    [​IMG]
    Stripped her down to the frame and gave it a good cleaning.
    IMG_1412.JPG Fork was bent a bit wonky, but it was quite malleable, and I was able to straighten it in a vice using wood blocks, didn't even mess up the paint.
    IMG_1579.JPG
    Also blew apart a 73 Breeze with a 3 speed Stermy hub. I plan to upgrade this bike to a 3 speed.

After greasing and adjusting the headstock and crank, I was surprised that Schwinn used a 21mm quill on the later model Breeze so it fit too sloppy in the Racer. I kept the 1973 bars but tried 3 different stems to see what they would look like at maximum extension.
    Also changed the original seat with wider more comfortable one.
    Brit stem 1.JPG Brit stem 2.JPG Huffy alloy stem 1.JPG Huffy alloy stem 2.JPG MGX stem 1.JPG MGX stem 2.JPG

order99 and Dr. Tankenstein like this.
  2. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

IMG_1616.JPG Rear wheel ran true but all but 6 spokes were loose, so I tightened the loose ones about 1/4 turn on average. Front wheel spokes are fine. Also there was a lot of side to side slop in the hub. I tightened the cone on the non drive side about 1/2 turn till there is slight slop at the cog. Oiled hub with 3 in 1 electric motor oil, and now with adjustments spins super nice. Check out O.G. nylon cord tires!
    IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618.JPG
    I must of assembled the headset bearings wrong, can't get the locking washer between the upper cone and lock nut, not enough threads. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  3. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

IMG_1620.JPG Got bars mounted. Chainguard, fenders and brakes just sitting there but should mount up fine.
    IMG_1624.JPG
    Shift cable short but will work anyways.
    IMG_1621.JPG
    I did take the headstock apart and after flipping the bearings there was plenty of length to re install the keyed washer. IMG_1625.JPG

4. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Some pics to show the crazy path the shift cable takes, but it fits under the chain and chain guard!
    IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1719.JPG
    Some tweaking needed yet to the fenders and braces but looking pretty good. IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1716.JPG

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  5. JimMendel

JimMendel

Nice bike in great shape. A survivor.

horsefarmer likes this.
  6. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Thanks! I hope my wife likes it as well. :thumbsup:

7. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Old Schwinn paint details, sigh! The stripes on the fenders and forks are so classy!

horsefarmer likes this.
  9. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Thanks! The overall quality of this bike is amazing. In 1958 Schwinn must of been at the top of their game. The paint, chrome and quality of the components all top notch.:soapbox:
    IMG_1734.JPG
    I picked up the O.G. reflector at the West Bend swap 2 years ago for the 3 speed Breeze and never installed it. I somehow found it in the stash and it looks right at home on here. :)
    The rear brake cable was seized and it was one of those deals where the housing only covered part of the cable and there were stops on the frame that this bike never had cause it was a single speed. A 1960's Murray 3 speed girls bike donated the housing and the retainers, while another old Ross bike donated the cable and the brake pads as the Dia Compe original red rubber pads were rock hard!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    383Camino and us56456712 like this.