1960s Huffy Galaxie

Discussion in 'FRESH FINDS' started by FreddyS, Mar 28, 2018.

1. FreddyS

FreddyS

So I had my heart set on finding a Huffy Camaro to fix up but nothing ever came up. Found this bike on Facebook market and traded an old Dyno BMX plus a few bucks to sweeten up the deal. Love this bike and the sweet patina it has. On top of this the bike has a Renak 2 Speed rear hub. Tires are crappy and I plan to swap them out with some cream ones. Question: the bike has 26x1.75 tires and would like to replace with 26x2.125 tires. I should be able to do this no? Really stoked about and plan to keep this one for a while.

What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

repedaler, rrtbike, KJV and 5 others like this.
  2. Falstaff

Falstaff

Wider tires might be a tight fit with the fenders, but I think it's doable.
    I put 2.2125's on a Westport with stock fenders with no issue, I imagine they're close in size to what you have.

Scribble and FreddyS like this.
  3. FreddyS

FreddyS

I’m having second thoughts about the 2 Speed rear hub. Sometimes I think I can feel it engage and at other times no. Brings a new question as to whether I should buy the cream tires or find a cheap Huffy and cannibalizes it for the rims and tires.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat

Nice find! It's all there too!
    If you had a cheap 26" cruiser bike to use the wheels from, you could find if 2.125 will clear the fenders without having to risk buying a set of tires. It might be a good idea to get a cheap bike and use the wheels, it wouldn't have to be Huffy, most 26" cruisers wheels will work. I've never seen a Renak 2 speed hub. It may need a tear down, cleaning, lube, and adjustment. How and where to get info on that is a mystery to me.
    But the bike itself is in great shape for it's age. I'm guessing late 50's. Huffy has the year digit as part of the serial number. If it starts with 8H, that would show 1958, or 1968. The chain guard and chain wheel look 50's.

RustyGold likes this.
  5. RustyGold

RustyGold

Given the name, and spelling...I'm gonna guess it is early 60s. The Ford Galaxie didn't debut until '59. The graphics, to me, look more 60s as well.

Jason

Wildcat likes this.
  6. A.S.BOLTNUT

A.S.BOLTNUT

Good looking middle weight .

7. Wildcat

Wildcat

I took a look, you're right, that chain guard and sprocket was still being used at least until 1962.

RustyGold likes this.
  8. FreddyS

FreddyS

Did some research on the old net last night and I believe it is a 62 or 63 at the latest. Huffy did not drop the Bendix 2 Speed until later in the ‘60s. The Renek hub on my bike is a single speed

I think I will be keeping these rims and ordering some cream tires for them. I am gonna take off as much rust as I can and get the surfaces smooth. I am then going to use some linseed oil to give them that Rat look. Can’t wait to start working on it!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    horsefarmer and RustyGold like this.
  9. FreddyS

FreddyS

Started working on the rust on both rims but it is pretty bad. As luck would have it I found an old Sears cruiser for 20 bucks which has good tires on. Hubs need to be cleaned and serviced which is no big deal but at least I have something to fall back on if the cream tires I ordered do not fit. Also gonna swap out Handlebars. These are really cool sway back ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wildcat likes this.
  10. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

That Huffy cantilever frame was introduced in 1957, (replacing the fits-sooner safety-frame).
    When Huffy introduced its new products, sometimes the existing names were applied, such as Customliner or El Dorado (Spanish lingo). Older styles may have been concurrently produced, (for the various retailers).
    Huffy had the "flamboyant" metallic flake paint in the 1950's.
    upload_2018-4-8_7-26-29.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. FreddyS

FreddyS

This is a sears bike but it does look like a Huffy frame. Gonna strip off all the nice parts on it.

12. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

Blue girl's might be an AMF; sprocket is similar to the Huffy - but different?
    upload_2018-4-8_16-35-27.png
    3-point AMF (above).
    upload_2018-4-8_16-37-55.png
    5-point Huffman (above).
    Mot sure when Sears switched from Murray Ohio bicycles.
    The "Sears" font or type has a more moderno look to it.
    Reflectors may be a product of 1970's safety laws.

13. FreddyS

FreddyS

Just stripped off the parts I need. Nice parts. Really dig those mustache Handlebars. Those reflectors are also really cool. Tire rims shined up nicely. Not bad for 20 bucks.

Got the cream tires in the mail and have a new chain I am gonna slap on. Gonna put the parts below on the Galaxy this coming weekend. Can’t wait!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scribble, Wildcat and Phil Fink like this.
  14. Wildcat

Wildcat

As usual, parts are good from girl's bikes, they don't tear stuff up. That Sears is AMF made, pre 1971. All the parts will interchange with your Huffy, so save the bearings and cranks, etc.

FreddyS likes this.
  15. FreddyS

FreddyS

Just serviced the hubs, shined up the chrome and installed the new cream tires. They should fit without me having to remove the fenders.

Thinking of ratting out the blue ladies bike with the tires and Handlebars I am taking off the Galaxy. Just something to keep me busy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scribble likes this.
  16. FreddyS

FreddyS

Got it mocked up. Still need to service bottom bracket and install new pedals and chain. I ordered some white retro pedals I. 1/2 and got 9/16 instead so I had to send them back today. Love how it is turning out and those cream tires really make it pop. The rear fender was a real hassle to align and the bolt is really close to the top so I am gonna get a couple of large washers and paint them red to give some additional support.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

repedaler, idiotboy, Scribble and 2 others like this.
  17. RustyGold

RustyGold

Its a looker :thumbsup:, and the creams really do work well on this one.

Jason

18. FreddyS

FreddyS

So the bike came with this and a working Cadet Speedometer. This horn however does not work. The inside looks pretty decent. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart to fix? Really cool and I would like to put it back on the bike if I can get it working. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. FreddyS

FreddyS

So after I stripped off the goodies on this bike I decided to go to my parts bin and build a little rat rod with the parts I had. Threw on some Handlebars and rims I had that were rusty so I used navel jelly on them and then sanded them with fine steel wool and then rubbed on some boiled linseed oil. Used the tires that were on it but cleaned and lubed all bearings. Left the ratty seat on it and put on an old set of pedals that I had. Threw on an old basket I had. Actually a nice rider. Listed it for $ 75 and I should get at least 60 out of it.

Not bad!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. FreddyS

FreddyS

So I finally got it buttoned up just like I wanted. Put some small apes but decided to go bigger after all. It rides smooth as butter I like the look of it now. A blending of old and new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RustyGold likes this.