1973 Schwinn Heavy-Duty value

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just picked up my first real Schwinn cruiser.
Its a 1973 Heavy-duty. Has its S-7 wheels.
A bit rusty but very solid & heavy lol.

Wondering what this beast is worth.
c20649f313f30c2a179c84337dad9d96.jpg

ae778d8a436434aca6f8a59a09dc319e.jpg

4a05d60d329233af06bb316fce3dd018.jpg

So got to looking at the wheels and the rear is S-7
018b9a4dc83b11ee453b1b1cd6551715.jpg

The front has a circle with something in it followed by what looks like CMC26x1.75/2.125HB
2800006a0637d265497b544a2149574c.jpg

Looks much better after the cleaning....shame that you don't have the original front wheel, but I think the first thing i'd do is switch to 559s anyway...

I can't really say what it's worth; I bet u got a nice price on it, though :rockout::113::rockout:

Thanks.
Best $20 I've spent in a while

Not sure what I'm going to do on wheels yet but I think I know a guy that has tires for S-7 wheels I can get but then I'd need a front wheel lol.

Thinking this will be a good bike to lube up and ride.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that too. I was thinking about it and idk how easy I'd come up with another HD S-7 for the front; don't think I've seen one with this thick of spokes before.

They pretty much came on the SHD, and some of the 5-speed canti cruisers from the late 70s/early 80s (Spitfire 5, Cruiser 5, Klunker 5...) The other move would be to buy some and build your own.... or just use whatever 559s you have on hand and go wild...

I certainly can understand the "not sure when". There is a fairly nice AMF Roadmaster Jet Pilot and a few other bikes waiting for me out in my garage to get them ride-able. I've had the Jet Pilot since November of last year.:(

I just got told after bringing home the heavy duti that I need to get my bikes finished. Almost every bike has parts pulled off.
I may need to find a day to dedicate to putting bikes together even it they are not rideable together just as a cleanup effort.
Also might give away a couple newer bikes I have that idk if I'll ever get to.

Found the wheel set but the hoops are blue.
Could easily go black but I'm wondering if there's an off the shelf yellow that would be close enough to the kool lemon on the frame.

Found the wheel set but the hoops are blue.
Could easily go black but I'm wondering if there's an off the shelf yellow that would be close enough to the kool lemon on the frame.
I think blue and yellow is rad. I used to play football, wearing those colors.

I think black or silver/chrome rims will look best. Plenty of yellow rims out there, but few will closely match a 40-year old faded safety yellow....

Leaving the ugly blue color for right now just trying to get it rideable .
The wheels I'm using are from a women's crankbrook iirc.

Last year I was given a mens Cranbrook with those blue wheels that are original to it. The bike had been neglected a bit but the wheels were true and have stayed true for a year now. The rear coaster brake is Falcon branded on mine. I assume it's probably a Hi-Stop made hub but it has been trouble free so far and works decent for a cheap hub. The front hub adjusted nice and smooth. Not sure what my point of all this is other than I hope your Cranbrook blue sets works as well for you as the set I have. If they do you could consider painting them black and running them on your HD.

Latest posts

Back