1977 Schwinn Scrambler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I picked this up a few weeks ago. It's in very good original shape but does need a little attention.
100_9921_zpsexvynfbb.jpg

I plan to basically service the moving parts and give it a good cleaning. I'll post some progress pics here as I go.

The original 38 year old crash pads were still intact but the snaps were pretty rusty. The best way that I could think of to deal with the rust and not harm the vinyl was to soak them in vinegar. After a day in the vinegar bath I took a tooth brush and the rust washed away easily.

Here is a comparison of before and after on the handle bar pad:
crash%20pad_zps4qcqudbd.jpg

It's not like new, but I'd rather keep the originals than replace them. I did the same with the top tube pad and the stem pad.

You're lucky you could get those snaps apart without ripping the vinyl.

Usually when they rust like that they are practically welded together. :mad:

It wasn't easy. I used a couple of thin screw drivers to pry them apart. There were already a couple of them that were torn a little so I had to be even more cautious with them. After removing the rust, I wondered how well they would work. It turned out that they snap fairly normal again.

Nice job on the pad. I have to admit I was never a fan of the Stingray based BMX bikes. The last couple of years though, they have really grown on me. Would love to find one in a similar condition as yours.

As a wee lad, I got a Stingray JR for my birthday... It wasn't long before I "Scramblered" it out to ride the BMX trails with the rest of my friends! This brings back memories. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a wee lad, I got a Stingray JR for my birthday... It wasn't long before I "Scramblered" it out to ride the BMX trails with the rest of my friends! This brings back memories. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a kid, there were a lot of "Scramblered" Stingrays running around. At the time I assumed all of them were home built as I didn't realize Schwinn was making them that way from the factory. Back then I didn't like them as I saw them as trying to be something they were not. Lately though, I find them rather cool and would like to find a nice Scrambler for the collection. I would even like to find a home built one as an example of what some kids were doing with their old muscle bikes after the BMX craze took over.

I'm looking for a Schwinn Scrambler S-2 rear wheel with 36 heavy duty (12 gauge) spokes, if you have one or know of someone who does. There is a rusty one for sale on ebay right now, but I want a rim or wheel with nice chrome and minimal surface rust on the inside of the rim. I would prefer to do my own rust removal as some methods can damage the chrome.

Looking good! (except for that chain. double yoo tee eff:D.)

I had hoped you were joking about cutting this beauty up when you first posted it in the fresh finds. :21: She cleaned up nice.

I've heard you can make one of these super fast by installing magnets in the rear hub.

You're lucky you could get those snaps apart without ripping the vinyl.

Usually when they rust like that they are practically welded together. :mad:
That's exactly what happened to my vinyl pads when I was a kid. I ended out going to Cal Lites Johar pads. Still have them and the bike to this day.

Latest posts

Back