1978 Free Spirit MX-3 ? Maybe. Helllllp!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0

I think this is a 78 free spirit mx-3 but im just guessing. there is a sticker om the downtube that says sears & roebuck co 2-78. Has the free spirit sticker on the headtube. it also has a 3 speed grip shift. Appears to have had some other red plastic bits bolted on in the past there are two little tabs near the rear fender broke off and being held on by sheet metal screws.
If anyone knows what model this is or has pictures of a complete one that would be really groovy. Thanks!

I love that fat gripshift.
Is this it? (1979 Wishbook) .
http://192.185.93.157/~wishbook/
SearsWishbook.1979C.P452.jpg

Oh man! I think it's that one bottom left. I wish I had that chain guard. I can live without all the plastic bits. I might just have to build a custom out of it. Dunno

I think it's the same frame as the Murray Firecats and same guard too.

I'll probably use the wheels, shifter and fork. Then sell the rest. Ill have to toss some parts around and figure it out. I dont think I would ever find the plastics for it, and if I did its not really my style.

Anyone build a custom off of this frame? Pics?

Cool find!!!! I have a similar Murray Top Cat. Mine's missing all of the plastics. I'd be interested in the rear fender if you decide to sell it. I already have a new front fender. The frame isn't the same as a Murray Fire Cat chopper. It's hard to tell unless you see them side by side. The headtube is at a different angle on the choppers and it has a welded gusset to reinforce it.
406454949.jpg
406454950.jpg

I see what you mean about the different rake of the headtube. Makes sense between a chopper and a BMX bike.

Latest posts

Back