**1982 Predator** DONE and under the Christmas tree!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It seems I find good deals on bike parts at caw show/swap meets. Was in Vallejo yesterday at the "Bug Bash" show and spotted a guy selling some bike frames and wheels mixed in with all the greasy VW parts. I first noticed a chrome BMX frame with a GT sticker on the down tube. I picked it up quick thinking I'd love to build up an 80's GT! Then at closer look I realized its a Schwinn Predator posing as a GT. My second thought was, "even better than a GT!" The guy wanted $35 so I offered $20 if he'd throw in a set of 4" BMX bars with it. He wasted no time in going for the deal,, said he didn't want to take it home anyway :D. I think I got a decent deal.. My son was with me, and he was pretty stoked to be starting another project! He wants ALL parts to be green :mrgreen:! WHY? I have no idea, but I think we can find some green parts to throw at it... Need to find forks and a wheel set first.

The chrome should clean up good. There's no dents, dings, or bends that I noticed.
CIMG1868rr.jpg

G0282 = February 1982?
G0282_2.jpg

Is this sprocket original?
CIMG1875r.jpg

The only original decal left on it.
CIMG1876r.jpg

Re: I'm on the Predator train...

Been wanting to get this Predator going for my son. I want to make a cool BMX for him while spending as little as possible. Vintage BMX is just outta control!!

So I found this 20" girls Schwinn Deelite on my local CL... offered the guy $15 and he bit. I'm going to use the rims (rear HiStop coaster works great), tubes, headset, BB bearings, and the seat - which I will recover in black vinyl. I also picked up a used Dyno 22.2mm laid back seat post, although I think I'm gonna have to make a soda can shim for it to fit snug into the Predator frame. I should have some completed pics up soon. Pedals, Schwinn decal, and tires are on order.

I think I'll hold onto the bars for a 26" BMX future project for me. :D
CIMG2131r.jpg

The purple under seat pieces I'll paint black.
CIMG2134r.jpg

82 Predator mix & match >> 99% done

Here it is. Nothing special. Its solid and rides smooth!

Parts list:
Frame - 1982 Predator
Forks - Predator unknown year (supplied by RRB member "MyBike1")
Handle bars - Mid 90s Diamondback
Grips - Demolition translucent black
Stem - Next (picked up complete bike for $2 at yard sale)
Crank - Next (from parts bike^)
Sprocket - Predator
Chain - used KMC with a few new links spliced in
Pedals - Man O War poly translucent black
Back rim - Alloy with HiStop coaster (came off the Schwinn Deelite)
Front rim - Alloy with Mongoose hub ($1 swap score)
Tires - Cheng Shin 20x1.75 with an old school street tread pattern
Seat - Schwinn (will get recovered with black vinyl)
Seat post - Cro-mo laid aid back Dyno ($1 swap score)

It'll get a black Schwinn decal on the down tube once the mailman drops it off. Also, I'm looking for a black & white Schwinn head badge.. if anyone has one PM me.

CIMG2136r.jpg

CIMG2135r.jpg

Re: 82 Predator mix & match >>> 99% done

I noticed the Schwinn Deelite has the same triangular kick stand housing tube as the Predator. I think I'll pull the Deelite kickstand and use it. I don't have the Schwinn tool for it though. I'll take it down to Mike at Vintage Supply... he's gotta have one.

82 Predator mix & match >>> 99% done

Found a Cotton Picker badge for this guy.
1f3b7925.jpg

Also got these down tube Schwinn water transfer decals. Hope they adhere to chrome! Anyone know if they will or not??
f0379aa5.jpg

Re: 82 Predator mix & match >>> 99% done

This Predator is finally done ant sitting under the Christmas tree!

I really like this little old school BMX, so I had to ditch the Next stem and crank.. they just weren't cutting it! It now has a period correct ASC stem and a cro-mo crank. The head badge is in NOS condition and I got for very cheap (thanks BobbyStillz!). The water transfer decals worked out perfectly too. I liked the vintage look of the Schwinn decal over the original Predator decals. The girls Schwinn seat was covered in black vinyl, and the purple pieces painted black. If I was to add something else to this build, it would be a front hand brake, so we'll see...

CIMG2171r.jpg

CIMG2173r.jpg

CIMG2172r.jpg

CIMG2165r.jpg

CIMG2166r.jpg

CIMG2167r.jpg

CIMG2170r.jpg

CIMG2169r.jpg

7ad46e80.jpg

Didn't the G tell the frame manufacture to be Giant. I read that on the Schwinn forum some years ago. I luv schwinns. Nice ride!

Latest posts

Back