2 spd kickback coaster hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if Im looking at a bike at the 'recycle center' or St. Vincent's, etc., how can I tell if it has the hub in question if I cant try it out? Quicker would be better than slower if I have a crack at bringing one home.

The old ones have 3 yellow or red stripes on the hub shell, some 20" bikes have 3 blue stripes. The new ones probably aren't in thrift stores yet. other 2 speeds have shifters, but the ones with 3 stripes are kickback, the automatic hubs.

I forgot to ask about the spoke count too, my primary interest is for 26" wheels on a big bike. Am I right that the red & yellow 3 bands have 36 and the blue band on 20"ers 32?

all 3 colors of bendix 3 band came in 28 and 36 holes , the sachs ones had a red or blue plastic ring on one side. the SA ones will have a 2 in the number.

scrumblero said:
the sachs ones had a red or blue plastic ring on one side.

Those are the Sachs Automatics and they are a true auto shift. Their kick back is called a Duomatic and says that on the brake arm.

I currently have a couple red band Bendix Automatics and a Duomatic. I have had a couple of the yellow band Bendix as well. All are good hubs.

gcrank1 said:
So if Im looking at a bike at the 'recycle center' or St. Vincent's, etc., how can I tell if it has the hub in question if I cant try it out? Quicker would be better than slower if I have a crack at bringing one home.
If you can pick up the back wheel off of the floor and turn the crank while watching the the back cog turn,then turn the crank back to apply brake and go forward again. For quicker,the cog would turn slower than the wheel in high gear and the same as the wheel in low gear for a kickback.

Look on the brake arm. Should be marked "Bendix Automatic" on the red bands and "Bendix Automatic Model B" on the yellow. Gary

Latest posts

Back