2016 SCHWINN AEROVANE CRUISER - REVIEW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are the tires 26"x3" ? It's listed at 26.5 which would be an odball size.
It does look pretty good with apehangers on it.
aerovane1.jpg

are the tires 26"x3" ? It's listed at 26.5 which would be an odball size.
It does look pretty good with apehangers on it.

They are 26" x 3" tires.

I'm not sure what the 26 + on the frame is supposed to represent....kind of weird.

Last edited:
Just brought one home today. Won't get to assemble until sunday. Already planning a triple tree fork. And other custom bits. But other projects are first. But had to get one.

That's definitely a nice bike for the money....from a distance it appears like the real thing......hey, if it looks cool and you're happy with it, go for it and ride that thing! Thanks for the bike review!

That's definitely a nice bike for the money....from a distance it appears like the real thing......hey, if it looks cool and you're happy with it, go for it and ride that thing! Thanks for the bike review!

Took it out this afternoon around the neighborhood.

You probably don't want to hear it, but it was sunny and 72 here today. :cool2:

Hears my little review of this bike. Paid $149 +tax and asked for one in the box. It comes pretty much assembled. Fork/frame/rear wheel/rear fender all one unit. Then handle bar/stem, seat, front wheel, front fender, and pedals. I had to remove rear wheel to get in back of car.

19mm for front and rear wheel nuts, phillips screw driver, 10mm for fender bolt, 6mm allen head for both stem bolts, 15mm pedal wrench.

Don't know if you can see it in the pic, there is a metallic or pearl in the paint. The welds are nice. Much nicer than I was expecting. I saw some pretty nasty welding on some other WM bikes I had looked at in the past.

Could be assembled in an hour, but I took more time to fiddle with how tires fit on rims, and took rear fender off instead of just tearing off the plastic. And other things mentioned as I go. Spokes could use a final tweeking but they are good out of the box.

One I got had the steering a bit tight, so I fiddled with that to get it smooth. Didn't repack grease 'cause I have mod plans for this bike. But it looks like a clear thin grease is there, but I would repack them with good grease from the start. Probably same for bottom bracket. This bottom bracket was good and smooth so I didn't mess with it. Will repack later.

Find the front fender and install before you install front tire. Tabs are long and won't clear tire. I didn't see a front or rear to the front fender. But I did have to bend and tweek to get lined up while I tightened the bolt.

I aired the tires up to full 30 psi. Roll nice even on dirt road. The gearing seams nice. Not too fast or too slow. Good cruiser gearing. I'm a big guy and this bike handled me fine. Wouldn't take it off roading, but cruising paved or gravel bike paths wouldn't be a problem. It's gotta be a steel frame for it's weight. Nice and solid feel.

This bike is a great canvas for customizing. Could it use better quality parts? Sure but those are gonna cost ya. Wheels are 36hole.

wm schwinn aerovane.jpg
wm schwinn aerovane dl.jpg
wm schwinn aerovane label.jpg
wm schwinn aerovane hub.jpg
wm schwinn aerovane tire.jpg
wm schwinn aerovane tread.jpg

Attachments

• wm schwinn aerovane seat.jpg
    wm schwinn aerovane seat.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 376
I snagged the Swindler at a Wallyworld in Huntsville, AL last weekend for $79! I could not pass it up at that price. It was already built, so I'm sure it's completely devoid of grease and things, but in my 10 minute ride, it worked well. I'm a larger individual, so the longish frame fit me well. This one looks very similar. $79!@!??!? I had to get it. The wife was not impressed . . .

Went on a ten mile ride with the Aerovane today. Paved rail to trail path. Did fine. If you get one of these be sure to take a small tool kit with you as things tend to loosen as you ride. May just be because it's a new bike. My seat worked a little loose on the post and the handle bar clamp needed a bump tighten. But over all it behaved nice.

what size does the frame measure to, center of crank to tube of seat tube?

I had one shipped from Walmart, Kept frame replaced everything; used original headset Sunlight fork, Diacomp stem wide Motorcross bars SR seatpost, had to make extension bracket for rear Diacomp Bulldog Brakes, Coverted BB to euro Sugino Crank, Odyssey Pedal, 80's mtb Wheel set, rides like a dream love the old style frame
20161216_090743.jpg
20161216_090806.jpg
20161216_090756.jpg
20161216_090659.jpg

Latest posts

Back