26 inch springer fork won't fit bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an OP roller and wanted to add a springer fork, I bought a 26 inch one, and the steer tube is too short.
My question is can I change the steer tube to a longer one and use the same fork or do I need a whole new assembly/
thanks

Attachments

• 810417183_tp.jpg
    810417183_tp.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 288
There is probably a bit of extension you may have without necessity to change the whole fork, but not too much. Otherwise your crown can be worn-off soon because of the unusual bolt position, or may have a whole bunch of other problems.

I did search and see that I may be able to extend it but my fear is it throws all the fork geometry off..never worked with one before so I don’t know if you can change the steering tube and nothing else

I did search and see that I may be able to extend it but my fear is it throws all the fork geometry off..never worked with one before so I don’t know if you can change the steering tube and nothing else
You can, then your crown would sit on a different angle. That's how it looks in the extreme case:
p1000531spring-1-jpg.491887

If you are not planning to extend it that much the trick might work. Otherwise nothing stops you from making a little extension out of two steel plate pieces, to let the crown sit higher.

20190619_192736.jpg
You can, then your crown would sit on a different angle. That's how it looks in the extreme case:
p1000531spring-1-jpg.491887

If you are not planning to extend it that much the trick might work. Otherwise nothing stops you from making a little extension out of two steel plate pieces, to let the crown sit higher.
Ordered a new steer tube and with some work

Latest posts

Back