3 Speed Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just picked up an old 80s model Huffy donor bike and I plan to use the chrome wheels and Shimano 3 speed hub on my 67 Typhoon. Will be nice to have 3 gears. The bike even has some niffty metal fenders on it that can be used for something else.

Just need to find a cool set of fat white walls to complete the conversion. I'm guessing the white walls I currently have on the Schwinn wheels won't fit.

huffy.jpg

100_1232-1.jpg

:) That wil be very cool RR. I don't know if you have many
hills in Texas but those gears will make a big difference.
As far as the tires go, the standard 26" will give you a lot
more variety and availability.Keep us updated!
Vroom

Are they 26 or 24? I got both sets for sale in classifieds. I got 24'' balloon tire blackwall
26x1.75 whitewalls
and 2 sets of 24 x 1.75

The tires on the Huffy right now are 26 x 1.75. I'm wondering if I can go wider than 1.75? Kind of hoping I could put a set of 26 x 2.125 tires on them. Anybody know if that will work?

Rat Rod said:
The tires on the Huffy right now are 26 x 1.75. I'm wondering if I can go wider than 1.75? Kind of hoping I could put a set of 26 x 2.125 tires on them. Anybody know if that will work?
I don't know if it's recomended to do so but I do it. They may look a little different than they would if on a little wider rim.
So what's on the Schwinn now 1 3/4?

The Red Walls I put on those Old Skinny Rollfast Rims are 2 by 2.125

They fit safely...and they look great

Your world has now been opened to a list of options now that you not trying to fill a Schwinn Rim.

nice bike...

Clothespin "n" said:
The Red Walls I put on those Old Skinny Rollfast Rims are 2 by 2.125

They fit safely...and they look great

Your world has now been opened to a list of options now that you not trying to fill a Schwinn Rim.

nice bike...

CP , did you buy those redwall MB tires at Canadian Tire
I thought I saw them on my last trip? 8)

aka_locojoe said:
So what's on the Schwinn now 1 3/4?

Hey Randy....yep, Schwinn S-7 1 3/4 are on there now.

Also thinking about leaving the S-7 up front with the skinny white wall and adding the 3 speed rear wheel with a fat white wall out back.

She's pretty much a slow movin' cruiser so maybe a wider tire won't be too dangerous.

CP , did you buy those redwall MB tires at Canadian Tire
I thought I saw them on my last trip?

nope..they where off of a New Bike..the guy bought the bike from Denman Cycle in Vancouver.
He wanted White walls and they re-stocked the reds..
I scooped em up FAST.
They are very hard to find.In fact I have corresponded with a Kenda Rep a few times and they are no longer available..
If you saw them at Crappy Tire..SCOOP EM UP!

Kev.

Not sure if this is going to work afterall. :cry:

Took a quick measurement of the Shimano hub and it seems pretty wide....like 5". When I measured the hub on my Typhoon it's about an inch narrower. I've heard of stretching the frame a bit, but I think an inch would mess things up.

Any advice?

Clothespin "n" said:
My Sturmey Archers are..

frame to frame .....without any stretching....is 4 3/4 of an inch.
so, not sure a Sturmey would work....

I wouldn't stretch that beautiful frame any more than I had too..

I just remeasured and got more acurate numbers. On the typhoon, it looks like from frame to frame with the stock Bendix SS red line hub it's 4.5".

On the Huffy, from frame to frame it's 5".

Anyone ever use a SA hub or Shimano on a Typhoon before?

Yo Daddy-o 2 .125 s will not fit on an S-7 rim. But they will fit on the Huffy's 1.75 wheels. You can squeeze 2.125's in a middle weight rear drop-out with a nice true wheel. It wont clear the lower fender brace on the rear fender. Solution ? Bob it off and tweak the remaining brace slightly. You can also make that 1/4 " oversize hub snug into your frame W/O too much hassle. Kenda makes a whitewall to fit the S-7 wheel that is wider than the stock 26 x 1 3/4 its a 26 2x 1 3/4 it will look and fit coolio Dude !!!!! hope I helped you out dude. Later & PEACE!!!!!!!

Well, got busy today and ran down to one of the big bike shops in town and picked up a 26" x 2.125" white wall...the last one they had!!!

Got home and installed it on the wheel with the 3 speed Shimano hub. After a bit of persuasion I managed to get the wheel on my 67 Typhoon.

The only thing I don't like is the cable and the shifter. Unfortunately the shifter and the cable are all built as one piece on both ends so I couldn't cut the cable down. I really wanted to mount the shifter up under the seat somewhere...sort of stealthy. I think I'll keep my eye out for a different 3 speed shifter that looks more vintage and can be mounted where I want it. I went ahead and temporarily mounted the original shifter just so I could see how it shifted. All went well and it shifted great. Kind of weird hearing that clicking sound though as I rode. :)

So now I have the original Schwinn wheel on the front with the 26 x 1 3/4 and then the wider 26" x 2.125" out back.

Here are a few photos after the install...

100_2479.jpg

100_2474.jpg

100_2480.jpg

100_2481.jpg

100_2482.jpg

:D Bike looks good RR. There is a way to shorten your cable
that is quite easy. Let me know if your interested
and I will explain.

Vroom

Looks good! How does it ride? Add some cable clips and you will be in business!!

I saw you said something about the cable. I got plenty of 3 speed WHITE cables that would look better. I also sent you a PM on a shifter. Thanks

Knarley seat dude ! Did my advice help you out at all or did you just take the fearless approach ? I'm diggin that "slingshot " look the two different tire sizes give ! I'm bettin your gonna love that 3 speed dude. Later & PEACE!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back