BO15 32" Motorbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drops for the rear getting roughed out. Made it the style that will hopefully fit a drop stand, which I also plan on making from scratch.
IMG_9866.JPG

Can you do front and back, to keep the ratio similar to standard?
I had some bigger rears cut once that fit over a standard 16t freewheel, just weld them to the teeth on the back. From memory they were 42t.

Great build! If you need a custom laser-cut sprocket for this one - let me know :) I can get you as many teeth as you desire.

I'll have to remember that!

Now back to your normally scheduled build........

Got it all tacked up as a roller, but wasn't super happy with how the back seemed to be sitting up high, so even though it took some work, I cut a half inch out of the seat stays, and re-tacked it. It probably could go even lower, but I think I'll call that good. Now a mid-bar, and to weld it all up. Then on to the sheet metal and other parts. Here's the before, and after lowering it a bit.
IMG_9867.JPG

IMG_9868.JPG

Lowering the rear end really did change the vibe. Isn't it amazing what our 'eye' can do to guide us to the right look?

I don't remember what your tire selection was, but I like the look of those on there. Reminds me of an old slot car we used to have back in the day. Looked a bit like this:

vintage strombecker car.jpg

Except ours was a dull silver...almost raw.

A closer look at the welding as I'm putting in the mid-bar. The silicon-bronze filler rod is giving me a bit of the "brazed" look, though maybe not as "brassy" as I'd hoped for. Now I'll ponder whether to add some brazing filler over it, or not. That would be a lot of extra work. We'll see.
IMG_9870.JPG

The tubes have the almost iridescent "torched" look, but the welds themselves have an almost copper color, as opposed to the brass. Still cool, I wouldn't hide it with paint or filler, unless you NEED the "old school cool" of the brass.

Also, a reminder that I'm not a welder, just a fan of nice welds, so take my input with a grain of salt

Shaping up well.

A closer look at the welding as I'm putting in the mid-bar. The silicon-bronze filler rod is giving me a bit of the "brazed" look, though maybe not as "brassy" as I'd hoped for. Now I'll ponder whether to add some brazing filler over it, or not. That would be a lot of extra work. We'll see.
View attachment 119836

Or just go back and "brass" them

Looks good!
So I'm assuming that you're planning to leave it bare metal and filing/sanding the welds smooth.
I wasn't thinking of smoothing the welds, but It'll be left bare metal for sure.

I'm planning on leaving it bare metal when complete, though it might have some pin striping and a clear coat. To go well with the bare metal, I plan on adding brass pieces here and there, where possible, but without a bunch of extra doodads. Here's my custom coaster brake strap.
IMG_9877.JPG

I looked at those latest pics and forgot it was 32", it looks like a 26". Large cruiser frames will definitely see more interest in the near future. Everyone will want to know where they can get one.

Without anything to give it perspective scale, it looks like you stripped down an old frame to bare metal. Great work!
I like the AC brake strap too.
It's really gonna be fun with you show this to us next to a normal scale bike or a human.

Without anything to give it perspective scale, it looks like you stripped down an old frame to bare metal. Great work! It's really gonna be fun with you show this to us next to a normal scale bike or a human.
Those pics will come soon.

With that in mind, here's a couple of shots with more parts on it. It is now a working bike. The saddle I bought at a flea market in Germany a few year ago, and the bars are really wide, like for a cycletruck or something, so I extended the bar ends 3 1/2" to bring them even more to scale. It's actually a pretty comfortable ride, though we'll see if that's effected by all the weight coming soon when I add the sheet metal parts.
IMG_9878.JPG

IMG_9879.JPG

Latest posts

Back