BO15 32" Motorbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a Lepper Primus seat, if I am not mistaken.
It is indeed.

Here's the money shots everyone has been waiting for. Here's the 32 next to my wife's 26" Schwinn:
IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG

Crazy cool, nice work! Those pedals are looking mighty small, though. Fabbing scale pedals would be a real trick.

furyus

Crazy cool, nice work! Those pedals are looking mighty small, though. Fabbing scale pedals would be a real trick.
Funny you mention the pedals. I agree with you. They're not even the biggest pedals in the first place, they're just what I had on-hand. I'll definitely be on the lookout for a beefy set.

What a beautiful job you are doing on this. It took seeing it next to the 26" bike t realize just how big this bike is!

I had been using the seat as a size reference, but even that wasn't working, because the springs gave it extra dimension

How to do the tank? I decided to go with a method that I've used once before, which didn't work out very well the first time, but I figured I could use lessons learned to make an improved version. I first made a CAD version of the space where a tank would be.
IMG_9882.JPG

I then made two matching sheet metal pieces that size and shape. Next I cut 1" tubing in half, and joined the two halves together to make a vessel which would be a total of 1" wide, and is 1" larger than the space.
IMG_9892.JPG

IMG_9894.JPG

I then TIG welded it completely tight, which I forgot to take pictures of. After grinding all of the welds smooth as best I could, I then cut the thing into two halves, leaving me with these:
IMG_9906.JPG

IMG_9907.JPG

Next will be to work on the way to attach them in a non-permanent way.
I have a plan.

That tank is looking good! And that spring saddle fits on this build, they always look so out of proportion on a standard 26 er build.

How's the gear ratio pedaling with those big hoops? I can't remember how big your cog and chain ring are?

Those tank halves.....I may be calling you for a custom tank in the future....

This bike is just awesome, mind you, at less than 5’ 10”, I’d never be able to ride it, but dang dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That tank is looking good! And that spring saddle fits on this build, they always look so out of proportion on a standard 26 er build.

How's the gear ratio pedaling with those big hoops? I can't remember how big your cog and chain ring are?
You are totally right about those saddles. I bought it four years ago, and it's always looked oversized until this build, so I was happy to use it.

The gear ratio is fine, though I might want to end up putting the next size up I've got on the rear cog to make it a touch easier. I took it for a 10 mile ride yesterday though, so it's not bad.

I used some angle iron tacked into the tank to make sure it stays in place.
IMG_9910.JPG

I've had these car (I think?) emblems for a while, hoping to put them on a vintage bike tank at some point, so I figured now is the time.
IMG_9911.JPG

Then I welded some nuts on the angle, giving me a place to bolt the other half onto. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out, though I do wish that I had the shaping forms to allow the bolt to seat right on the tank.
IMG_9912.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

IMG_9914.JPG

IMG_9915.JPG

I used some angle iron tacked into the tank to make sure it stays in place.
View attachment 121134
I've had these car (I think?) emblems for a while, hoping to put them on a vintage bike tank at some point, so I figured now is the time.
View attachment 121135
Then I welded some nuts on the angle, giving me a place to bolt the other half onto. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out, though I do wish that I had the shaping forms to allow the bolt to seat right on the tank.
View attachment 121136
View attachment 121137
View attachment 121138
View attachment 121139
46-48 Chevy stylemaster.
F93682148.jpg

Tank looks good, and now I don't have to figure out a way to make one. Your way looks like it works just fine.

Wow! I havent been catching up in class 2 for a while! Beautiful build, the fact that this is a large cruiser.

I actually miss a large 28"/29" cruiser on the market. This is even a 32!

Your wife's "medic" cruiser is real nice too!

How to do the tank? I decided to go with a method that I've used once before, which didn't work out very well the first time, but I figured I could use lessons learned to make an improved version. I first made a CAD version of the space where a tank would be.
View attachment 120964

Is that CADboard (said with Boston Southie accent).

• Haha
Reactions: Fv2
EXCELLENT methodology and work on that tank!!!!

How to make the chain guard? For my first scratch-built guard, I decided to keep it flat and simple. I carefully cut out the picture of the chain guard on my scaled template, and transferred that to steel. I then made a strip to be on the top. BUT! Rather than weld them together on the front side, I make the call to weld them on the back side, thus giving me more meat when I used my grinder to shape a curve between the two sides. I think it came out great, actually.
IMG_9902.JPG

IMG_9901.JPG

IMG_9897.JPG

IMG_9898.JPG

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9900.JPG

Next will be attaching it to the bike.

Latest posts

Back