'37 Elfman Streamline Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome fab work!

I've been grinding away at this project a little bit at a time (litterally). I dealt with the mess I made welding the top tubes together and now I've got it to a point where I can get back to the fun part of welding tubes together. I'm doing this all very free form, just a level and my eye to guide me. I don't really want to take the time to make a fancy jig to hold it all together but I hope I don't end up having to cut it apart to fix some seriously whacked out alignment issues. This is my very first time building a bike frame from scratch. Here's some progress pics.

Looking good! Provided you take you time and eyeball it regularly, you should get pretty close, small adjustments are easy to do.

When you get it finally tacked as a frame, just run a piece of string from one dropout around the headtube and back to the other drop out, a simple measurement along the strings and from each string in to the seat tube will tell you if it is straight.

Luke.

I can see this bike so clearly in my head I have no choice but to make it.

This is a gift most people lack and therefor struggle with design. I also see the end results easily when I close my eyes. Lucky person you are....

Last edited:
Looking good! Provided you take you time and eyeball it regularly, you should get pretty close, small adjustments are easy to do.

When you get it finally tacked as a frame, just run a piece of string from one dropout around the headtube and back to the other drop out, a simple measurement along the strings and from each string in to the seat tube will tell you if it is straight.

Luke.
Thanks, that sounds easy to do, Seems like you would have to be very precise to get any kind of accuracy though, but I can be precise when I need to.

Also make sure your bottom bracket is running good and perpendicular to the head & seat tube and you should be fine. Triple check before committing to a big weld bead. Take your time with the rear drop outs...

Seat post looks a bit long but maybe you are vertically gifted :). I've been wanting to go seat post less with a build, just run the seat tube long like you have done and mount the seat right to it. Keeps the look clean you know..

Wow, I love those curves and lines. This is going to be one awesome build from the ground up. Great work so far!

Ugh, the weekend slipped away without any progress on this. I guess it'll be another week of working on it after work. I'm thinking I may use what little vacation time I have for the last week before the build off ends to try to get this thing done as it can possibly be. Its all I want to do anyway.

Oh wow! Cant wait to see this come together. The lines are awesome!

Latest posts

Back