50's huffy, large sprocket build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay here is the opening of the build thread for my 50's huffy, this frame has some serious rust issues but I have a plan for that.

here is a look at what it was when I found it
IMG_1071.JPG

the rust is pretty bad but I have a interesting solution to that.
IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

there may be some internal thinning around the rust since it was found in creek bed.

IMG_2476.JPG

this is the starting point it's a mock up of what she might look like, I am thinking Yellow and black.

Last edited:
This is going to be a fun one to see! That sprocket is unreal!

That split in the top bar looks due to water freezing inside. Finding it in a creek bed makes sense for that. I've run into the same thing with antenna tower. Looking forward to the tubing fixes and to the overall build.

Where on earth did you find such a big beautiful sprocket like that!!! :43:

Cool build, that sprocket ain't no joke!! Your gonna need a set of legs like this to ride that bad boy!!

Where on earth did you find such a big beautiful sprocket like that!!! :43:
check out the sprocket thread for more info on the sprocket .

I suppose if I ride it long enough I'll get some legs like those!. I am thinking of painting it with scallops like this:
scalloped.jpg

But with the color scheme from this:
black+and+yellow.jpg

does anyone know where I can get some of these cool wheel discs?

There were some 26" plastic covers out for mtbs about 20 years ago. Super rare and they were made for 36 spoke wheels only (I have my last rear pair) but all my mtbs have 32s. They were molded for 5 speed mtb wheels. made by UNI, I have the only pair in 26" i've ever seen. here are some 20's
skyway1.jpg

Tioga made a kevlar wheel with built in cover. Tomac used to race on them.
discwheel6.jpg

Try making your own. Here is a website on how-to for the hpv crowd using carbon fiber or lycra.

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/wheeldisk/wheeldisk.htm#Building instructions for a solid wheel disk made from ABS plastic sheeting:

The biggest issue is finding the right kind of plastic sheeting in a proper thickness and flexibility. You can get thermo plastic sheets but that would cost more than the mooneyes. TAP plastic in california has that stuff. Sheet aluminum would be cheaper. Cut a pac-man shape and pull the gap closed to get the right dish and pop rivet.
Or maybe cardboard to get the shape, then coat with fiberglass and epoxy. I've seen covers made of duc tape, lots of it. News print and model airplane dope but that won't be very sturdy. UNO-disc was a lycra stretched over a ring held in place with clips but I only remember that being available for 700c/27" wheels (I sold my last one last year).

There have been quite a few covers for 20" wheels by various manufacturers.

Last edited:
I was looking up Stayer motor pacing and found this, looks like mine sort of but much lighter
mine weighs like ten pounds and acts kinda like a flywheel.

408141829_f6d41a1353.jpg

That split in the top bar looks due to water freezing inside. Finding it in a creek bed makes sense for that. I've run into the same thing with antenna tower. Looking forward to the tubing fixes and to the overall build.

I think that is the case as I took the paper wheel to the frame to find out how much rust and thinning there is I found some pretty bad cancer.
IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG
\
IMG_2486.JPG

so as soon as I get to the hardware store I will get the stuff I need to fix this frame, I plan on using Great Stuff Gaps & Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant fills, seals and insulates gaps up to 1 in. As it swells up it should firm up the thin spots and fill out the wholes which I can then shave off and use body filler to smooth it all out. I might have to drill some strategic holes to pump in the foam in some areas, but that shouldn't affect the strength after the foam is hard.

what do you think?

I searched the entire frame for some sort of ID but I only found these numbers on the rear drop out
bike+id.jpg

any Ideas?

Last edited:
Wow, there is more rust there than there appeared to be!
Not sure about your foam method to repair it, it would be probably be fine, but if the frame fails while riding it can be quite disastrous...

Not trying to put you off, I am really loving this build, just wanted to add a note of caution, don't want you of anyone else getting hurt...

Luke.

Not trying to put you off, I am really loving this build, just wanted to add a note of caution, don't want you of anyone else getting hurt..
thanks Luke I appreciate your concern.

check these out:
big+gun.JPG

the paint is called Gold Abundance, By Valspar
IMG_2504.JPG

Curing looks weird
IMG_2513.JPG

after a trim, and some light sanding it looks like this
IMG_2518.JPG

check out the sprocket thread for more info on the sprocket .

I suppose if I ride it long enough I'll get some legs like those!. I am thinking of painting it with scallops like this:
scalloped.jpg

But with the color scheme from this:
black+and+yellow.jpg

does anyone know where I can get some of these cool wheel discs?

I took a quick look and I can't find it right now but someone had a thread about making discs out metal of trash can lids. Turned out pretty cool.

Maybe someone else remembers that and can help you find it.

Latest posts

Back