RRBBO13 52 Pickup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying my hand at some faux-tina. Used to be a scale model railroader and did a lot of weathering with paint, but a model train is a lot different than a full scale bicycle. LOL
Picked this stuff up at Home Depot in their wrong color bin. Just about right for a muddy rusty mess.
20180608_174753.jpg

20180608_174624.jpg
20180608_184021.jpg
20180608_184033.jpg

Gonna have to try a vinegar bath for the bolts. Not sure what to do with my homebrew aluminium fender bracket...

Get out some sandpaper and rub your bracket down so the gloss is gone. Then spray with Rustoleum Texture paint. Works great for that rusty touch. Put as much or as little on as you like.

Spent the morning buying a new riding lawnmower. Man, it was nearly as time consuming as buying car! Should have patched the old one together agin and mowed this afternoon, but decided to let the grass go and give the new machine a real test when it's delivered Wednesday. LOL

Decided to work on my bike instead. Got the rear fender and the derailleurs mounted and then the shifters. Need to get the cables hooked back up and trimmed to final length.
20180609_191334.jpg

Found the funky seat post on eBay. Can't wait to get the shifters hooked up and the brakes working and ride this thing again. Curious to see if that seat post is going to work for me.
Today's parting shot...
20180609_191349.jpg

I like the rack pipe work.
If you use the diamond plate on the front fender, cut it with the matching chevron of the fender paint.

Finally, another chance to work on the bike. Got the shifters hooked back up and now both the front and rear brakes are hooked up. Took a quick run up the street and back to try it out. Gonna need new pads on the rear brakes. Aged the shiny bracket and bolts for the front fender and added a little more "age" to the area around the mud flap bolt on the rear fender. Next will be the reconstruction of the fork truss and resumption of wood working.
20180614_193509.jpg

Not liking the zip-ties. Not "vintage" enough. Thinking maybe I should invest in some old school hose clamps...
20180614_193449.jpg

Used a brake noodle thingy on the rear brake. Just something different I guess.
Going to paint that funky seat post blue to match the bike. Got an electrical box plug that I think will fit in the big hole
20180614_193434.jpg

20180606_183128.jpg

Not sure, but I think the mud flap mount screw needs an acorn, or maybe a reflector to finish it off...
20180614_193425.jpg

And today's parting shot...
20180614_193420.jpg

Replaced all the zip ties with hose clamps and got the front truss and headlight remounted today. Then started experimenting with a chain guard. I thought painting the guard ivory would look good, but now I wonder if blue with ivory and red highlights would be better. Also thinking I might put a piece of diamond plate on it to cover the "Huffy" embossed in the rear of the guard.

20180616_191442.jpg
20180616_191537.jpg

...and maybe paint the HUFFY letters in red on the blue guard?

I have exactly the same headlight and have to convert it to a specific voltage... Also the same shifter(but not using it in this build,but I did think about it.)
Opposite ends of the world with same taste...
Love the way you made the rack... Love thinking outside the bike.

Love wood on bikes! Nice work, like the sanded / rounded edges. And the acorn nuts are a nice finishing touch. What are your thoughts on 'finishing' the wood? Clear stain? Whitewash to match the guard and crank? Diggin' it! :thumbsup:

Love wood on bikes! Nice work, like the sanded / rounded edges. And the acorn nuts are a nice finishing touch. What are your thoughts on 'finishing' the wood? Clear stain? Whitewash to match the guard and crank? Diggin' it! [emoji106]
I planned to weather the wood and use a satin clear coat on it. I have bottle of white vinegar that I stuffed some steel wool in. I used it age the wood last night after I took the photos. I must have let the mixture sit too long because instead of a weathered gray color this morning I found something with a bit of a red cast to it. Like maybe weathered redwood? I did the procedure in the bathroom and the runoff made the vanity sink all rusty looking! Fortunately my wife was out and I got ot cleaned up before she got home! LOL
It may still work on the bike. I'll put it all back on bike and get more pictures after work this afternoon or tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good process for weathering. I found a Min-Wax 'Weathered Oak' stain that has a nice gray hue to it that works well on new wood. Looking forward to your results!

Getting too dark to take pictures so here's a dark shot to get an idea of how the wood turned out...
20180622_194435.jpg

Got to playing around with some thin wooden stars from the craft department at WallyWorld. Kinda like the look, kinda don't.
20180622_194019.jpg
20180622_194105.jpg

You can also see I did a repaint of the chain guards too. I'll try some more red striping in a day or two.
And the parting shot for Friday June 22...
20180622_194522.jpg

Latest posts

Back