53 Western Rocket - Put A Fork In Her, She's Done !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright I'm in again this year with a 1953 Monark built WesternFlyer a fairly rare bird, going for the straight forward Scribble resto-mod. Now before I get called out for entering a bike that's already done. I got this bike from @Big Ape a few years ago at this point, only things I've done to it since getting it was putting it back together and chucking a temporary stem in since the original broke. it also has a bent crank, and the wheels haven't been rebuild in who know's how long.

Anyway game plan so far.

-Repack whole bike with fresh grease

-Replace the bent crank

-Boiled linseed oil treatment for the paint

-WD-40 and steel wool for the chrome bits.

-Might try to repair the original Troxel seat

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG

Sweet bike! Should have taken it apart and just showed the frame...:p..should look great after the Scrib treatment.

Hahahahah oh man, I'm a little to transparent for my own good some times :bigsmile:. This will be for the Veteran bicycle builders. you guys will be able to tell what I've done :cool2:

Looks pretty good as is, could say done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after disassembly, I can say this thing needed a rebuild it was filthy.
fullsizeoutput_6e87.jpeg

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

Dent removal day ! here's a hammer for @GuitarlCarl
Before
IMG_1104.JPG

After
IMG_1108.JPG

I also messed around with the Delta Hawk light, and it works pretty good.
IMG_1113.JPG

Love the little banger! But...I don't think that's what you used to get the dent out. :39: Good job though, I've got a big ol' fender I'm stripping the paint off of, has a few dents but nothing like that whopper you fixed.

Carl.

Love the little banger! But...I don't think that's what you used to get the dent out. :39: Good job though, I've got a big ol' fender I'm stripping the paint off of, has a few dents but nothing like that whopper you fixed.

Carl.

I actually did use the little guy, as well as a bigger ball peen. Little one's good for the finer work.

Cleaned up the bottom bracket assembly, and replaced the bent crank with a nice dog leg. Also refurbished a more correct stem and a little sneak peak at the seat being worked on.
IMG_1116.JPG

Stem on the right is being replaced.
IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1114.JPG

Before
IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

After
The Monark chain ring and dog leg look good together.
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG

All clean !
IMG_1133.JPG

Seat update next.
IMG_1136.jpg

Well the seat was in bad shape under the seat cover, 1-2 more decades and it would have been dust.
IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG

Gonna try and reuse the OG seat cover.
IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

This bracket was busted as well, I have a donor seat it has both brackets.
IMG_1152.JPG

Donor bracket
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG

Vinegar soaking time !

Latest posts

Back