59 Western Flyer Super Deluxe Tank Model (AKA 3-on-the-tree)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I went to swap the flat wrong size/style rear tire today and now I'm starting to think the wheels on this bike may get swapped with another pair I have from a 66 Murray if they turn out to be in better condition as the back wheel has rust inside (all spoke nipples are stuck) & I don't feel like messing with it at this point if I don't have to.

After going and inspecting the other set of Murray wheels I think I'm going to stick to the ones this bike came with.
I cleaned the inside of the hoop a bit and mounted my NOS Schwinn Spitfire 26x1.75 tire I picked up a while back (need to find another).
I'm going to need to rebuild these wheels with new spokes/nipples; so I'm thinking I need to pick up the pace on finding a 2 speed kickback or maybe a nice igh 3 speed to lace to the rear hoop.
I'm wanting to make this a good daily rider but not sure if an ugly shifter & cable is worth it but I know I could get a nice Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub for cheap to free way easier than the pain & cost of a kickback hub.

Just do a shifter on the seat stay with a 3 speed coaster hub, maybe just a foot of shift cable. Unless you find a 2 speed kickback.

Thanks I was thinking about that but never ran a suicide shifter before. Be kind of cool if I could find a shifter to give a bit of a muscle bike look; I just want to build a nice clean cool bike with this one (hopefully will last forever)

Scored a free Sachs torpedo dreigang 515 3 speed coaster brake hub today also a 3 speed shifter (think that was from a non coaster brake stermy).
Now the fun is there anything special I need to do to make this thing work? I've never put together a 3 speed bike before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

*note I need to mount this to be shifted with my left hand

Last edited:
The Sachs 3 speed I had used a different shifter than the Sturmey Archer hubs. It might have to be a Sachs shifter, but I'm not sure, I'll do some research and find out.
The coaster brake models shift just like the non coaster models so it doesn't have a different shifter for a coaster.

Shouldn't be any problem putting the shifter on the left side. I liked the shifting on the Sachs better than SA or Shimano.

Thanks. If you find info on the shifter let me know.

I was hoping to have the shifter not on the bars; mawbe on the seat tube but have no clue how to set up 3 speed cable

Last edited:
Found some info on Harris Cyclery webpage. You CAN use a Sturmey Archer 3 speed shifter on your older model Sachs 3 speed hub. I'm guessing you have an older hub. I think the handlebar shifter can be mounted on the seat tube with a little modification to the clamp. SA made a stick shift 3 speed shifter if you can find one, it is made for the top tube.

"Older Sachs 3-speeds and the 3 x 7 used a trigger shifter like Sturmey-Archer's, which could be fastened to any handlebar. A Sturmey-Archer trigger also will work with these hubs A Sachs trigger will not work with a Sturmey-Archer hub, which needs a longer cable pull between the top and middle gear. An old Shimano front-indexing STI shifter also works with a Sachs hub"

Hooking up the shift cable for a 3 speed isn't that difficult once you've done it a couple times. It would be better to show how to do it with pictures instead of written instructions. First, get all the parts together. Does your hub have the little chain with it?

The hub has its chain and a plastic piece to thread the cable into and a screw to clamp the cable in place.
The shifter came with cable as well but I don't have the frame clamps or pulleys if I'll need them I'm not sure but I know I've seen them in pics

I'm not sure the age of the hub (as I said I'm a 3 speed noob) but I can get pics of it and the shifter after work it it helps

Here's info on what year your Sachs Torpedo hub was made:

"On hubs made from 1958 to 1974, you will find a letter for the year on the hub-shell.
A = 1958, B = 1959, ( "J" and "Q" are not used )
In 1982, they went back to 'A' again.
On hubs made from 1975 to 1989, you will find 2 letters on the brake lever.
The one above is for the month.
The one below (important) is for the year. "

Wow you are good at finding info; was looking for how to date it.
I'm not home now so I will check after work. Where on the shell would the letter be?

The first number is how many spokes, then the year is shown. O is 1971.
262ks9h.jpg

Latest posts

Back