'62 JC Higgins Flightliner - Project Finished :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new project,,JC Higgins chrome Flightliner...I will go through the build in this thread if you want to follow along.

As found: Click on pics for larger image.

Not sure if I want to repaint or leave patina,,,,or customize. So I will start with disassembly and clean all the chrome and hope most of the rust can be removed.

Here are my starting tools...a good chrome polish,,0000 steel wool,,penetrating oil,,and aluminum foil.

Last edited:
Pedals came out great with fairly good chrome and rubber.

Looking at the paint that was underneath some chrome it seems the original paint was candy red,,,translucent red over silver.

Also got the rear tail light working.

Today was messy day,,,strip the clear coat off the frame
upload_2019-7-21_15-3-30.gif

Using this stuff.
b11a-m-png.1033708

Supposed to wait several hours so now waiting.............waiting,,,,,,,,,,,and some more waiting. I will let you guys know how well this stuff works,,,or doesn't.
Oh, red stuff on chair is from painting the house shutters and not from the bike,,,,,,,,,,or me!

b12a-xl-png.1033709

Ok,,hot but must get back to work..
Starting this time is the finished polished frame,,,clip on any pic for larger image.

My report on the Citristrip,,,,only took off 1/3 of the clear after 5 hours waiting,,, so then it was steel wool time.....:(

Last edited:
Picked up another chrome frame bike,,,Huffy brand..was going to use for parts but now think will restore and find tank and stuff.

More work done,,,cooled off here now so back at it..
Here is the paint I am using...Dupli-Color lacquer primer and Dupli-Color Red Metal Specks (best spray paint from a can that I have used so far).

Primer'd tank sides.

Painted tank sides (metal specks in red show up in sun). Yet to do,,clean up the decals and several coats of clear.

Rear rack sanded,,cleaned and ready for primer.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the encouragement :) Here is an update; got the painting mostly done and after I get these lights sorted I should be able to reassemble.

Painted tank and rear rack.

Going to use a four cell battery box for the headlight if I can figure out this wiring.

Latest posts

Back