67 Schwinn Fastback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Fastback a few days ago. Serial #ECxxxxx, so if my information is correct that makes it a May 1967 build. A few things that puzzle me about this bike is that it is painted Campus Green which isn't listed in the Schwinn catalogs until 1968. Another thing I find curious is that I thought the Sprint parts that were made in France were a one year only deal (1966). This one has the correct for 67 MAG chain ring, but both front and rear hubs, the cassette and the derailleur are all Sprint and have "made in France" on them. Does this make sense to anyone here that can explain it to me? Thanks!

Update: I knew the handle bars and grips weren't original when I bought it. They had been replaced as well as the seat and both tires. I also thought that it's original bow pedals had been replaced as well.

Attachments

• 20180806_182033.jpg
    20180806_182033.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 209
I determined that some previous owner must have "restored" this bike which would explain the kenda tires and aftermarket seat. But I couldn't figure out why anyone would replace the handle bars and grips.

Then, as I was doing research, I read that the 67 Rams Horn came with rat trap pedals! Everything just fell into place then. I went back out to the garage and checked the chain guard and sure enough, there a Rams Horn emblem!
20180806_182100.jpg
20180806_182054.jpg

To see the remains of the rams horn you may have to zoom in on the chain guard just where it passes in front on the rear tire. Most of the white is gone leaving the shiney green paint where it use to be.

Latest posts

Back