'68 Sting Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a fun project with great weather to go with it. Getting ready to start the sissy bar suspension. Took a while to find the shaft collar stash....:39:.

Here's what we're working with.

sissy3.jpg

Cut the loop off the top of the Schwinn sissy but left the mounting holes. Going to use these holes at the drop outs to attach the sissy to the bike.

sissy4.jpg

Had to cut the drive side shorter to clear the derailleur...will cut the other side if I still have another hack saw cut in the old arm when the rest is done.

Will use aluminum sleeves to attach the legs to the top of the sissy. Should look something like this.

sissy5.jpg

Need to poke some holes in the seat. Should go pretty fast.

Almost finished with the suspension sissy.

sissy9.jpg

Upside down Schwinn sissy mount works great. Just needed a small spacer to clear the brake caliper.

sissy10.jpg

Didn't get a proper mock up until after dark.

sissy6.jpg

Purple!

sissy8.jpg

Almost done!

sissy7.jpg

Still need to work out some spacers for the clamps at the seat...then try to get a decent pic of it.

Wow, your fabrication skills are remarkable [emoji44][emoji44][emoji44].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad T, awesome work on the suspension sissy! That, and your custom seat, is the 'cake topper' to this very RaT-isfying build!

Thanks for the tutorial on the sissy susp. Where did you source the springs? They look heavy duty. Strong enough for a not-too-bouncy ride?
I've got to try this mod!

And this photo....
ChadT OJ award shot.jpg

......WOW!

Thank you guys!

Where did you source the springs? They look heavy duty. Strong enough for a not-too-bouncy ride?

Those were replacements for some kind of rockshox. I cut them in half and made 2 sets. They're very stiff. Only give when you hit a big bump which is nice.

Finally got the seat attached to the sissy with some recessed brake hardware and some aluminum spacers.

sissy11.jpg

Looks like she's done.

done2.jpg

Time to go for a cruise and take some pics.

Please include video of the springer in action too!

Sorry didn't see your post until it was too late. Not a lot of action in the springer on this. It's fairly stiff. Ride vid may be in order though. She flies.

One of these will have to be the final pic. Gotta work tomorrow.

d9.jpg

d10.jpg

d8.jpg

Obligatory dumpster shot.....(it's like the new fountain)...:21:

d2.jpg

Chad, I like the close-up of the bike and the dumpster vibe in that shot, but your #2 probably shows off the bike the best for the Voting Thread.

Excellent work! And yes, get 'the kid' to shoot a vid of you flying on this rad Sting-RaT !

One more Q....do you have a 'bumper' in the aluminum tube connecting the two sissys? Kind of a 'top out' prevent for the rebound control coming off a bump? Or maybe the two sissy bars don't actually touch inside there?

One more Q....do you have a 'bumper' in the aluminum tube connecting the two sissys? Kind of a 'top out' prevent for the rebound control coming off a bump? Or maybe the two sissy bars don't actually touch inside there?

They're spaced far enough apart. Thought about putting some rubber tubing in there.

Man I missed the end!! Was just getting ready to post and it ended. Thought it was ending at midnight for some reason...:headbang:

Oh well it was a good time anyways.

They're spaced far enough apart. Thought about putting some rubber tubing in there.

Man I missed the end!! Was just getting ready to post and it ended. Thought it was ending at midnight for some reason...:headbang:

WHAt?? Oh $#!t! Well, don't fret, you've already won. **keep your eyes on the prize** **and the OJ Award thread** :grin:

Your in! Lucky you! This is Rat Rod Bikes and not the Olympics! :)

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back