7 year old son says: "That would be COOL Daddy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've been collecting some parts over the past year or so in preparation of converting my son's Electra Townie 20" from cruiser to muscle bike. I have a 16" wheel and tire, handle bars and a really nice slick. The slick I just got on ebay for $15 plus shipping (forget what it was). So this morning the slick is still sitting in the truck, (ifitsfreeitsforme wanted to see it, so I brought it to work) when Boy gets in and he says: "What bike are you going to put that on?" I tell him that I was going to put it on his Townie and without thinking added " ... or maybe build a bike from scratch." Well it was out there. The brain mouth delay wasn't awake yet. "That would be so COOL Daddy!!"

Now I need to find a frame, wheels, etc. I want to start with an old stingray type frame and go from there. I found a Huffy on CL but it didn't speak to me. He's going to want it to be green so painting is certainly in the cards. I'm going to want a spinnger too. This will not be rat (on purpose anyway :lol: ) it will be a good looking rider, I hope.

So I start this thread now, perhaps a bit early as I do not have a frame yet, so that I can show my progress and get ideas and comments from all of you. Thanks for listening to my story. I hope is has a happy ending.

My 5 year old says that to me alot. Have fun. It is never too early to start the kids on building bikes

I took my daughter to Wally world and I told her to pick out the color she wants her bike to be well....neon pink wouldn't have been my first choice but she should be easy to spot but of course I have bikes in front of hers to finish. But they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease and being four years old man can she squeak. :shock:

Stingray-type frames are cool, don't get me wrong, but if you're building a musclebike, there are some other cool choices... Like this one for example...
2884515849_e97473b047.jpg

Just a thought...
It just seems that there is quite a proliferation of stingray-type bikes out there, and I am one of those guys who likes weird things that no one else has...

That is a very interesting frame. I recall them from when I was younger. I don't disagree with you, and am often trying to be different, but I just need to build a classic bike (the vision in my brain anyway) the way I built them when I was a kid. We used to scrounge the piles of junk in front of all the neighbors houses every spring when our town had "spring clean up" collecting all kinds of parts until we could assemble a bike. We called these "Junk Bikes" I had many. When going for rides we would ask each other "Junk bikes or regular bikes?" Some were choppers. Some were for bounding through the woods. And then I had my Raleigh Record for long distance rides.

So what I have in mind is a stripped down bike. low sissy bar, banana seat, medium rise bars, wheels. done. Might make it chopperish with 24" or 26" forks. Might not use the 16" front. or might. I'll try them both. Some things I'll actually let Boy choose. :wink: :roll: :lol:

bought a frame.

d5fb_1.jpg

If I stick with true "junk bike" I'll build it as it sits. I've really been wanting to use this powder coating guy I've found though. I could have him do this frame when I have my Airstream wheels done. I'm going to need some bearing cups. Anyone have any laying around for sale?

Well, I've got the frame and forks at home. Wife called me yesterday and let me know a box was awaiting my arrival.

All I need now are some high rise bars, banana seat, sissy bar, and head tube bearing cups. Here is the frame and forks mocked up on my kitchen counter.

DSC02709.jpg

Boy is pretty excited, but he had to do homework last night instead of working on his bike. Maybe another night. There will be lotsa time between updates I think. I love that the original color is that Schwinn bright green. I had considered blasting and repainting or powder coating, but I think I'll let Boy have at it with a paint scraper and some sand paper. I'm tinking this will remove a lot of the "newer" paint and leave a lot of the green, and bare metal.

bet ya could remove alot of the new paint with paint thinner/remover and still salvage most if not all of the original green.

btw is that an late 60's early 70's schwinn stingray?

icyuod2 said:
bet ya could remove alot of the new paint with paint thinner/remover and still salvage most if not all of the original green.

btw is that an late 60's early 70's schwinn stingray?

I will try that, if it doesn't bug Boy too much. And yes. 1970 I believe.

first off i love the idea of letting your boy help build his own bike, second, i love that you call him boy, not your son or by his name,
thatismytruck said:
Boy is pretty excited, but he had to do homework last night instead of working on his bike. Maybe another night. There will be lotsa time between updates I think. I love that the original color is that Schwinn bright green. I had considered blasting and repainting or powder coating, but I think I'll let Boy have at it with a paint scraper and some sand paper. I'm tinking this will remove a lot of the "newer" paint and leave a lot of the green, and bare metal.
but in the pic where the fork is mocked up on the frame, the threads dont even come close to fitting into the head tube, how are you gonna make that work? just curious myself. looks good so far. hope you and BOY have a lot of fun on this build together!!

Easy E

^^^ "Boy" is my homage to the best father on tv .... Homer Simpson. :shock: :lol: It also gives some measure of privacy and lastly is much faster to type.

I have an idea bout the fork tube, but I'm not positive it's not going to work. Suffice to say there will be a spacer involved.

He and I just took apart our parts bike and mocked up the frame a bit more. I forgot to take photos. Earlier today I purchased a "string of parts" from blink. I need those bearing cups in order to get some better mocking up done. I will use the other parts on another project and will share them with my two buds at work who also are into this hobby.

ah yes good ol homer simpson. im gonna keep checking this build to see how your gonna do this fork. looks great so far man!!!

Easy E

Boy got his homework done and we worked on his bike a bit. We got the knobby off and the slick on. I was thinking of staying with the 20" wheel in front but he really wanted to have the 16" I didn't use on the "my sized muscle bike".

DSC02722.jpg

trying the fit.
DSC02723.jpg

Boy looks good on bike man. im kinda diggin the little wheel on the front for him. maybe not for an adult but looks like hes happy with it!! not ure how tall he is but maybe some 24inch apes? looks nice so far bro!!

Easy E

It's awesome.There is nothing better then letting kids just go at something either.Can't wait to see what you guys do.

We worked on the bike this evening. Boy decided to simply file off the black in a stripe that left the nearly perfect Schwinn green. It looks very nice, in a rat sort of way.

1015081930a.jpg

1015081941a.jpg

the green stripe looks really cool man. would like to see some more progress pics!! keep up the good work

Easy E

Latest posts

Back