7 year old son says: "That would be COOL Daddy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome stripe job :) i would have messed that up for sure if it was me. and the 16"ww looks nice out front too

just dont let him drink outta that blue jug :shock: :lol:

He was so focused on making that stripe. He was very cautious and gentle with the files. I am quite impressed with his work ethic too. As we wandered back to the house last night, he commented about how fast the time went by while he was working on that.

I was able to strip quite a bit of the thick black paint from the crank area and not strip off the Schwinn green. Boy wants to leave some black and gray and rust, but does want me to continue removing more of the black. He seems to have a very clear picture in his mind of the finished product, which I think is super cool.

Drinking from the "blue boy" is definitely not happening. :wink:

Hey all I need a hand.

The seat post hole measures 0.800" or so (20.3 mm or so). I can't find one even close. I tried ifitsfeeitsforme trick of a handle bar and even it is too large. any thoughts???

The fork has an opening of approximately 0.850" (21.60 or so). The BMX stems don't fit. please more thoughts.

Thanks in advance. Boy is looking forward to finishing this project. A 7 year old's impatience is hard to quell. :D

I had the same problem with this bike.Went to Loew's.At the end of the hardware aisle they have solid and tube steel in all different sizes.I cut and bent this seat post my self.
orangemode068.jpg

i would have to agree with blaze on this one. go to the hardware store and buy a pipe to fit.

Blaze- what kinda frame is that on the black bike you posted. it looks sweet man. dont know about ridability though. looks like you would be eating kneecaps the whole time

Easy E

I beleive the seat tube for your bike is 13/16" and difficult/expensive to buy. You have to buy it in 20 foot lengths at about $7-$8 per foot. I just bought some a couple months ago. Or, Your best option is to just find a schwinn seat post. I can send you a chrome SCHWINN seat post in really good shape that I have no use for. email me if interested. You can have it for free, and Maybe $10 for shipping?

The piece I bought was $14 for about a yard of it.They sold different grades and that was the best they had.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9955
The black bike is a kids bike my nieces and nephews rip around on.You can check it here.Didn't mean to hijack sorry.

bikebuilder said:
I beleive the seat tube for your bike is 13/16" and difficult/expensive to buy. You have to buy it in 20 foot lengths at about $7-$8 per foot. I just bought some a couple months ago. Or, Your best option is to just find a schwinn seat post. I can send you a chrome SCHWINN seat post in really good shape that I have no use for. email me if interested. You can have it for free, and Maybe $10 for shipping?

13/16" is very close to the .800 or so I measured. I was going to look for some pipe at Home Labyrinth tonight or tomorrow. If I don't find anything I'll pm you for the post. THANKS!!

<edit> I just looked at McMaster Carr: the only 13/16" OD pipe or rod avail is solid, which I just don't want. pm coming

Anybody have any idea as to why the bmx stem won't fit in the 26" Schwinn forks?

Most bikes I think have a 7/8" seat pole. Schwinn is 13/16". The schwinn stem is about the same size as the seat pole. BMX bikes generally have a larger diameter stem, so it wouldn't fit in your schwinn fork. Most older bikes and generic kids bikes stems should fit though.

The darker tubes are the 13/16" that I paid $7+ a foot for.

Boy and I found another parts bike.

MrC0ypVBCM68P1FS3lW6ZLSUwGrTTUSu030.jpg

We will use the handlebars, seat and sissy bar for his bike. I will be using the crank, chain ring and maybe the chain for my project (which I will start a thread for soon). He's pretty psyched bout the whole thing.

I went to a new bike shop today just to see what the had hanging around and got to talking with one of the guys, he said he would thread the fork tube on the 26" forks down farther so we should be able to use it with out any type of spacer. Guess who gets more business from me?

I really need some help forum mates. I am very confused. I cannot find any bearing cups that fit the head tube on Boy's Stingray. I bought a "string of parts" from blink (thanks again blink) and none of the cups fit. They're all too big. In addition I cannot find a handle bar stem/goose neck to fit the forks (both his schwinn and my murray). Just plain confused.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Your best bet is to just take your project into a bike shop and match a headset and stem to the frame and fork. The cups and bearings will need to match the frame and the races and nuts will need to match the fork. You should be able to get a headset for $10 - $15 and a stem for about the same. In the end I have found that going to a shop is often cheaper and usually better.

Boy and I had a "mock up morning". He assembled the whole thing himself. I was the bike stand.

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

We will assemble the crank in the basement. no grease allowed upstairs.

Latest posts

Back