7 year old son says: "That would be COOL Daddy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikebuilder said:
That's awesome! I want to see some wheelies on that giant muscle bike!

I did a few wheelies that day. Bike went over backwards on one. I can't seem to find the balance point on that bike. I was always way better at riding wheelies on my Raleigh Record than my muscle bikes, though. Keep i mind that was 30 years ago. :shock:

Boy practiced some more that afternoon. He'll get it eventually. His bike is very solid and balanced better than I expected.

I just read over this whole post and loved it!(dont know how I missed it :oops: )The exploit's of Boy building his first chopper was a heart tugging read! The pic's from work were great! The pose with dad and the skid were my favorite's! :wink: Look foward to his future work!(wheelie bar :idea: ) :wink:
L8 EM

That's awesome.That building looks like a fun place to rip around on too.Your bike is enormous :shock: .You can see were boy gets his style from.Nice work guys. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This building is a pit, but fun at the same time. My Blue bike was last winter's project. Before I found this site, so no build thread. I think I did one in the "Alt Bikes" section of bikeforums though. yep: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=375302

It is so nice outside today that Boy and I went for a ride.
DSC03214.jpg

DSC03219.jpg

and here is a riding video. He's been attempting wheelies andI got one on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-hayCqxyU

Hope you enjoy it. I had a blast!!

I rode today with my son too! It's been raining here non-stop for the past few weeks or so. Today is the first day the sun's been out. Loaded up my newly built bike and grabbed a trailer for him. Went to the local large park with many trails and rode around the whole day. He's only two-and-a-half and was enjoying being in his "bicycle". That's what he calls the trailer.

It makes it a lot more fun when you can get the kids to participate. Did a nice job and his smile makes me think he loves it.

Glad a different bunch of guys got to see it. Thanks for your kind words. Boy is 8 now. We had a good time building it and this was really the longest ride he's taken on it. It was a good shake down cruise. I need to tighten up the chain and the head set but all else is really good. He wants me to paint it though, which means a tear down. I don't think I'll do it for awhile though.

Thanks again!

Hey Skip
It's Skip, This is one of my favorite build threads.
So nice to see you and your son having fun with the hobbie
my 6 and 8 year old son's Have been riding the wheels off my Murray chopper this week
They both want to build a "cool bananna seat chopper" now
Thanks for sharing Skip
BTW I dig the rotating signature :wink:

Glad you like it Skip. Enjoy your build with the kids!!

Unc, believe me I believe you!! It seems like yesterday he was curled up in my lap. He is sitting on my lap now though. We're watching "Support Your Local Sheriff". I'm guessing you'd approve. :wink:

Dude one of my favorites...James Garner was at his best in that one. Lots of good actors and a classic clean movie to watch with your kids. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well I tore down his bike yesterday. I coated it with a bunch of citrus stripper and let it sit over night outside. It rained. I scraped and scrubbed first thing this morning in the rain. got it to the basement.

IMG00271-20090927-0839.jpg

Here it will sit until he sands some. :wink:

I was working on my Colorflow this evening when Boy wandered down after his 45 minutes of nightly reading.

"How's it going Dad?"
Pretty Good. I got it all greased up and wanted to put the chain on but I can't find my chain tool so I'm adding even more stuff to this heavy bike instead.
"Cool! I like your head li ......

IMG00092-20091201-2058.jpg

....... Hey! My chopper! How come you haven't painted it?"
well you haven't sanded it. You want to work on sanding it now?
"Sure"
Now when you think its smooth enough stop, close your eyes and gently slide your hand over the area. If you can feel any bumps you need to sand more.
"OK"

IMG00091-20091201-2058.jpg

He did a pretty horrible job. He doesn't get how smooth it needs to be yet. I will make him sand about four more times to try and drive it home and then finish it for him without telling.

Wow, Kids are awesome. Great father son time. I would like them to stay little forever, but at the same time I can't wait for them to grow up just enough to build things with.

Latest posts

Back