'70 Fastback...Finally Painted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you have it all sorted!

It's sorted. Love the grip shift for down shifting. Now what all can I do to make it pretty...:39:..got quite a bit of time left so might as well keep playing with it. Paint probably wont look much different since it will still be bright yellow but I do have a spare set of hoops I could start the shining process on. I think they have the dreaded clear powder coat though.

Something i just noticed, have to ask, did you build that rear wheel 3x on the drive side and radial on the non drive? Cool touch if you did ;)

Wow good eye...thank you...yes I did do the radial non-drive side/3x drive side.

wheel3.jpg

Close up of the mech.

9sp9.jpg

The shifter. Brake levers were made to be used with a grip shift. Still a little too much bend in the apes there to get them perfectly tight together.

shifter2.jpg

Couple more pics from the other day. First cold day after some nice weather but hit it just right for putting this together.

9sp3.jpg

9sp4.jpg

Looked up the color of the Ferrari in the pic above and it's Maronello yellow which also doesn't have a bad ring to it. It's actually the color of yellow that's on the Ferrari badge. Little brighter than the Fly yellow...hmm...:39:

Last edited:
Looks awesome Chad

Thank you G-Matt!!

Riding along well with this Build Chad. Marinello Yellow, or brighter would be cool on this build. Almost glow in the dark yellow! [emoji106] offset with Black and Chrome... ... sweeet!

The yellow is actually called Modena yellow. I miss spoke when I called it Maranello. I think,,,lol...:39:

Got this baby at home now. Still pondering the paint. Just can't decide if it will be much of a transition going from yellow to yellow.

done22.jpg

done23.jpg

Wow 4 pages of builds for the winter build off!! That's gotta be a record? I really need to catch up on everyone elses builds. Winter is slow bike time for this cat though.

I don't know Chad, I kind of like it the way it is....unless you maybe change the name to "Colonel Mustard"....:bigsmile:

I don't know Chad, I kind of like it the way it is....unless you maybe change the name to "Colonel Mustard"....:bigsmile:

Thank you OJ. I like it as is also. Not too perfect to get dirty but I never worry about that anyways. Wanted to do a paint test for my summer build....possibly another yellow Schwinn...with gears...:39:....shhhh..:speechless:

I recently rediscovered my Fastback (blue '75 single speed/coaster) so I have really enjoyed your thread!!

Beautiful. Was fun using a coaster as the donor for this bike. Try to stay away from tearing down complete, original bikes but pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

Almost have a 9-speed vid ready. Waiting for it to upload and I want to try and ad some music to it.

What else is better to do on a warm Feb morning with a kid and a GoPro? Our camera man with his trusty chase vehicle. Got some decent footage.

gpro.jpg

Thank you OJ. I like it as is also. Not too perfect to get dirty but I never worry about that anyways. Wanted to do a paint test for my summer build....possibly another yellow Schwinn...with gears...:39:....shhhh..:speechless:

Beautiful. Was fun using a coaster as the donor for this bike. Try to stay away from tearing down complete, original bikes but pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

Almost have a 9-speed vid ready. Waiting for it to upload and I want to try and ad some music to it.

What else is better to do on a warm Feb morning with a kid and a GoPro? Our camera man with his trusty chase vehicle. Got some decent footage.

View attachment 45650
Look forward to the vid once you get it into production! Nice chase vehicle.....

That is literally my favorite song in the history of songs, and I'm a rock/metal guy.
It just reminds me of my hoboing days, used to sing that song alot in my travels.

Wow! So much to like about this vid. Along with Shakesbeer ^ that song was my dad's all-time favorite. I sang it to him in his last hour on earth....
Tell your son he did a super job on the videographer duties! Cool how he went around the flagpole the first time and then filmed you going around it the second. Dad's pretty quick on that screaming yellow bike, but the kid can hang!:cool2:

That is literally my favorite song in the history of songs, and I'm a rock/metal guy.
It just reminds me of my hoboing days, used to sing that song alot in my travels.

Just popped into my head that day for some reason. Hoboing? Like hopping trains? Every time a train comes in at work I want to hop on it and see where I end up. What's the farthest you ever went doing that?

Wow! So much to like about this vid. Along with Shakesbeer ^ that song was my dad's all-time favorite. I sang it to him in his last hour on earth....
Tell your son he did a super job on the videographer duties! Cool how he went around the flagpole the first time and then filmed you going around it the second. Dad's pretty quick on that screaming yellow bike, but the kid can hang!:cool2:

Wow..great minds right? Weirdos of a feather?...:21::21:

The kid liked your props. Put a smile on his face. Snapped another pic in the yard today. Not quite as warm as yesterday but not too shabby for Feb.

by2.jpg

Just popped into my head that day for some reason. Hoboing? Like hopping trains? Every time a train comes in at work I want to hop on it and see where I end up. What's the farthest you ever went doing that?

Wow..great minds right? Weirdos of a feather?...:21::21:

The kid liked your props. Put a smile on his face. Snapped another pic in the yard today. Not quite as warm as yesterday but not too shabby for Feb.

View attachment 45743
Made the trip across Montana mostly by train in my early 20's, but I do want to say this for anyone who may read this post.

NEVER "HOP" A TRAIN!!!!
It is dangerous and stupid.
Nevermind the fact that it's difficult to do, but if you misjudge you can fall and die. If you're caught by railroad security "Bulls" they get paid alot of money to prevent liability issues, they will beat you to a pulp and leave you for dead in the middle of nowhere.:soapbox:

That said, I do sometimes miss the days of my youth. I started riding trains as a kid, my cousin and I would hop the morning train across town to go fishing; then the afternoon train back home.
After high school, I traveled by foot most of the time; but I hitched rides and rode the rails. Now, a middle aged man. It's easier on me to just drive.

You can have your thread back now. LOL.

I gotta come down and see you sometime dude. Or catch with you at a swap sometime.

Girl in Jr high lost her leg to a train. Must have sucked in high school but she was super cool about it. A real trooper.

I'm here most days I don't have to work, so that could work.

There's a swap next month at the Franklin county fairgrounds, it's on the events page.

My parents had Roger Miller's first three albums so I grew up on this stuff.

Love the component upgrades.
Love the video
Love the bike!

I'm here most days I don't have to work, so that could work.

There's a swap next month at the Franklin county fairgrounds, it's on the events page.

That sounds cool. Will have to check that out and see if it falls on a day off.

Love the component upgrades.
Love the video
Love the bike!

Thank you Kingfish!! Was comparing her the other 1x9 Fastback today.

by3.jpg

Both great runners but the yellow one being a later gen is a little more refined with the gearing and such.

That sounds cool. Will have to check that out and see if it falls on a day off.

Thank you Kingfish!! Was comparing her the other 1x9 Fastback today.

View attachment 45780

Both great runners but the yellow one being a later gen is a little more refined with the gearing and such.
Cool Pic! [emoji106]

A pair of really cool bikes !

Latest posts

Back