73 Heavy-Duti fast build (Done; well mostly)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a ratty pair of 14.5(ish) inch tall apes from a huffy rail I'm planning to use. They are chrome. Also going to pull the black repop Schwinn grips off Bad Wolf and use those on this.

Little update.

Rear fender is mostly done; still need to trim a drill new holes to the rear supports to be able to bolt on but otherwise a great fit.
d0c9c3f6876b5c0ee69d9bb77c866748.jpg

Made a little more progress.
The rear fender is bolted in place (still need to trim the extra bit off the ones of the supports).
The chain & guard went on nicely.

Now of course there has to be the good old so many steps forward and 1 back...
The rear wheel started making strange sounds so I'm probably going to have to crack it open and see what's going on in there.
3544d626c9f175206dce3f3af6153dcc.jpg

Thanks.
Been wondering what I'd use these mammoth fenders on since the bike they were going to go on ended up being too far gone (it was rusting away from the inside out & found tons of bondo under the repaint). The part I havnt showed yet is the 1963-64 bicycle license plate on that rear fender (I know its 10 years older than the bike but its cool and already setup for it).
Thanks that tail light was a fun conversion years ago when I made it; nothing like a dynamo headlight turned battery powered led tail light.
I am a bit worried how the tail light will be angled when the bike is on the ground.

I'm sure its going to be a simple fix for the hub, I was outside when I had it open before; might have gotten some debris in it without realizing it.

That fender looks great on a vintage American made Schwinn HD like yours. I turned my laptop to a right angle to make your bike appear level and according to my not so scientific method it looks like the tail light's rearward facing alignment is good. :)

That fender looks great on a vintage American made Schwinn HD like yours. I turned my laptop to a right angle to make your bike appear level and according to my not so scientific method it looks like the tail light's rearward facing alignment is good. :)

Thanks.
Those fenders are massive (3" wide) the 26x2.2 Hank tires are big but there's still plenty of room.
If it wasn't for the fact I had to dent them a little more than they were to fit in the seat stays they would have cleared 2.5" wide tires without thinking.

I agree they look good and add to the heave part of the name due to the sear size.
Here's another angle that shows the size.
8869c852558f2d851d6dcf36e4e0aad8.jpg

Lol I did the same but on my phone to see the tail light angle.

Last edited:
That is a cool plate. I can't remember seeing one like it before.
At some point in time it was repainted (poorly) but it looks cool; the blotchy glow in the dark part is fun too.

Its a Lincoln Nebraska plate; that's where I live; so I'm happy.
These are hard to find & is the only one I've found for sale.

Progress.
Starting to look like a bike again.

Back wheel is spinning great again (not sure what that was about, I cleaned and repacked it) fork is mounted along with the new front fender, the bars are just setting in place because I need to get it on the ground to get them where I'll need them.

I'm going to open the front wheel back up & redo it to be safe before I install it.
Also still needing finished is the kickstand (the old grease is nasty) blue trying to knock some of the rust off of it while I'm at it.

bb56f2d0a365486d97e3b6d054e298d4.jpg

This is turning out so nice!
What kind of seat are you thinking about? Traditional? Banana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.
Probably traditional for now.
I have 2 other 26" bikes needing banana seats but own no seats.

Probably going to try using this for now.
d52bd7053479e6ac6e4c1d9bd58e2d50.jpg

If it don't hurt too much to ride on I'll probably stick with it otherwise I'll try to figure something out.

455420ddc6840b23302ac0db6ea57b20.jpg

97265b133c1b5a94c057a7711e86114d.jpg

1f77635e9309d2c1e0f59bbb4a8de597.jpg

Took it for a bit of a ride.
I'd say its 97% done.

It rode real nice but trying to do the long stretch of uphill about killed me so I'm going to look into changing the rear cog to a bigger size. Also apparently I need to replace my batteries for the lights as they dimmed to almost nothing while riding.
Also think the right crank arm is a tad bent; its rideable but think I'm going to need to look for a replacement crank.

Last edited:
this is cool. I picked up a typhoon frame and fork, threw it together real quick with 60s huffy tandem apes and wheels. I had a set of redline hanks that I was going to run too, but decided to go with crème bricks.

Great looking ride brother, simple 'ride it all day' look to it.

Thanks it was fun to ride last night & even at that late hour was getting peoples attention.
this is cool. I picked up a typhoon frame and fork, threw it together real quick with 60s huffy tandem apes and wheels. I had a set of redline hanks that I was going to run too, but decided to go with crème bricks.
Thanks.
The Hank tires are probably my favorite tires and would run them on just about everything if I could. These tires were on my 2005 Typhoon for a while.

They are sweet tires. I had them on my elects for a little while. When I ordered them at the shop they showed me a bunch of other tires that they thought were close and didn't really understand why I had to have that tire. When they came in the guy was like man these are nice, what are you putting them on?

Latest posts

Back