'79 Conti - WIP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the recently acquired '79 Schwinn Conti II. Over the last two weekends the bike has been cleaned and made rideable. From here I need to install new gear cables, and looking to drop some serious weight with a couple 700 alloys. At this point we are 90% original, new seat, grips and brake lines. I love the black and saddle brown coloring.

I wish I had some before pics to show - I always get too excited and forget to clip a few--maybe next time.

Cheers,
Chris

'79 Conti by Christopher Fick, on Flickr

I owned one like yours, this summer.

Nice ride Marius, Looks like your paint has held up better than mine. Why owned? What the current status?

I bought it for 40, sold after tune-up/cleaned for 150.
Nice bike, not a cheap, low-end Varsity.

Same exact frame as a Varsity, but you get a tubular fork (Conti II forks were fully chromed!), and a lot of alloy parts (front hub, stem, handlebar, brakes) where the Varsity had mostly steel components and forged flat-blade forks. I feel like these frames are hugely under-appreciated due to their weight, but they ride very nice and last forever. I'm loving the black ones featured in this thread.

Latest posts

Back