83 TEAM MURRAY X20R BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Re: 83 TEAM MURRAY X20R

I can only imagine what the "after" pics will look like. :D

Re: 83 TEAM MURRAY X20R

It will be a fairly easy clean up job for sure.

Too bad the decals were removed.

Bought it off the original owner who got it from his older brother when he was done with it.

In typical Murray fashion it weighs about 50lbs. :shock:

This one showed up on the CL last week.

I didn't email the owner until a day later and didn't expect it to still be there.

He said that he had plenty of emails, but when he told people the bike wasn't perfect, people lost interest.

He must have really made it sound bad because when I saw it I thought....man, this thing is mint! :lol:

That's funny. I love a happy CL ending.

I went on a wild goose chase last week from a CL ad. Someone posted a Mongoose for sale and showed a pic of 81-82 bike in full high end parts...$50!!! I almost passed out and emailed right away. Turns out the bike was "similar but newer", but I had to go hunt it down anyway. It was clearly a young kid I was dealing with who had no idea what year it was. The bike ended up being a couple year old Wall-Mart special. Oh well.

Dan

That must have been frustrating.

The lastest craze here on the DFW CL is people taking photos of vintage BMX bikes off the BMX Museum and listing them at ridiculously low prices and making it look like the owner is clueless. Sometimes they list an address that ends up being an empty lot or they give someone else's phone number. :roll:

I'm at the point now where I immediately run an image search on the museum when I see an old BMX pop up.

I had one of those when I was a kid! My dad couldn't afford a high end bike, so i asked for the X20R. I'll post a pic of what it looked like before I cracked the frame. You won't belive what it looked like! Bike came stock with some pretty good components.

nice find. you could do something cool w/ that.
there was a yard sale 3 houses down from me last summer and i saw a bike, so i wandered over to get a closer look. it was that murray, but it must've been a base model because it didnt have all those nice bits on it. it had a sticker on it that said $10. i was lookin' it over tryin' to decide if i wanted to pay that much just to part it out. than the guy that lived there came over and talked to me for a few minutes and than he said i could have it.
i fixed it up and gave it to my next door neighbors kid. he rode it daily, but didnt really take care of it. he comes to my house almost every day when my garage door is open to either ride or work on bikes. he was sayin' he wanted to paint flames on his bike....a few monthes ago i found a pretty nice huffy black BMX bike w/ factory flame decals. it was only 7 bucks, so grabbed it for him. i took the chrome murray back to swap out some of the nicer parts like the bar and pedals to put on this black bike. i dis-assembled the chrome murray and tossed the frame and fork in my junk/parts pile.

that was 3 months ago. and for some strange reason i pulled it outa the pile and built a bike out of it yesterday.
i changed my mind...i posted pix on the build page allready.

This bike has me torn.

Clean it up and make it look like new again...or...strip it of all the cool parts and use them for another bike that doesn't weigh a ton.

Unfortunately the frame and forks are not chromo.

Hmmmm....decisions decisions.... :roll:

Me, I would probably post it up on one of the bmx sites in the "for sale" section and see if anyone is interested. If not, I'd part it, take the good parts, and give the frame and anything remaining to someone who can use it.

Spaulding also has the same bike except for name built by team Murray. I had a x20 growing up a stepdown from the x20r, and I owned a x20c "The C stands for Cr-Mo seat tube" a step above the x20r lol. Also in pee Wee's Big Adventure the BMX bikes were Team Murray x20c versions of the X20 line up. There is also a x20z in red color.

Latest posts

Back