About to purchase a cranbrook

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the next week I am going to get a new huffy cranbrook and begin to build a daily rider bmx klunker.

Wanting to get some decent Black bmx style bars with about a 7 to 9 inch lift and 27 to 28 inch width.

Should I by a goose neck box or just pry open the stock goose neck bracket?

Was going to order the bars and stuff from niagra bikes but they are out of stock on all the ones I wanted.

Will deal with crank and stuff later on.

Any advice will totally be appreciated!
Thanks
Jim

Take a look on craigslist first to see if there might be a good vintage US made bike that would work better than a cranbrook. I took a quick look in SW Michigan and saw this:
00c0c_hnW0HnlzeL4_1200x900.jpg

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/bik/d/schwinn-bike-in-good-working/6596839016.html

Friends don't let friends buy Huffy Cranbrooks.;) IMHO.
By all means a Cranbrook can be the apple of your eye and will provide a fine fun base for your creative vision and intended use, but...
If you heed Wildcat's advice and you may even be a happier camper Jim.
There are great deals to be found on classic American steel bikes and the vintage take off parts may reduce cost of your chosen upgrades.
The older bikes may also have multiple gears which you might also find handy on a daily rider.
A USA Schwinn would be my direction. The frames are sturdy with clean finished welds, a Sturmey Archer 3 speed is super reliable, any original plating would polish up with ease and it would likely hold it's value better.
Worksman frames/bikes are a great option too by the sound of it.
The main thing is to buy the bike that you like, then get busy making it yours.
I like the direction you are going with upgrades and personalization and the Huffy may just be the right choice to meet your needs.
Enjoy and get to building! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
In the next week I am going to get a new huffy cranbrook and begin to build a daily rider bmx klunker.

Here are 15 pages (and 288 posts) of Cranbrooks RRB members have customized: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/show-off-your-finished-huffy-cranbrook.32667/

On the other hand, since there's a 99% chance that you'll have to adjust, take apart, and/or grease the bottom bracket and headset of a brand-new Cranbrook, there's a LOT to be said about finding a nice used bike for less and then maybe needing to do the same things to it -- like that Typhoon @Wildcat just found and posted above! :bigsmile:

Should I by a goose neck box or just pry open the stock goose neck bracket?

Metal fatigue is hard to predict -- you might be able to pry the stock stem or "goose neck" apart and bend it back once or twice without ever having any problems...or it might break the first, the thirty ninth, or the four hundred and eleventh time you ride over a curb.

A new stem is generally cheaper than a trip to the dentist or the emergency room!

ALSO -- most cruiser style handlebars are 1" in diameter where the stem clamps onto it, but most BMX bars are 7/8" in diameter and BMX stems are designed to fit those. If you want to use a 7/8" bar in a 1" stem you'll need to use some sort of shims to fill the excess space.

Everyone here has their own opinion on what's "best" or "good enough" but I prefer installing BMX stems when I install 7/8" BMX or apehanger handlebars on my bikes.

Thanks Guys!
The problem here with the used bikes is picking it up.
No transportation thus getting a cheap in price bike brought to my door is a good start.

Here are 15 pages (and 288 posts) of Cranbrooks RRB members have customized: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/show-off-your-finished-huffy-cranbrook.32667/

On the other hand, since there's a 99% chance that you'll have to adjust, take apart, and/or grease the bottom bracket and headset of a brand-new Cranbrook, there's a LOT to be said about finding a nice used bike for less and then maybe needing to do the same things to it -- like that Typhoon @Wildcat just found and posted above! :bigsmile:

Metal fatigue is hard to predict -- you might be able to pry the stock stem or "goose neck" apart and bend it back once or twice without ever having any problems...or it might break the first, the thirty ninth, or the four hundred and eleventh time you ride over a curb.

A new stem is generally cheaper than a trip to the dentist or the emergency room!

ALSO -- most cruiser style handlebars are 1" in diameter where the stem clamps onto it, but most BMX bars are 7/8" in diameter and BMX stems are designed to fit those. If you want to use a 7/8" bar in a 1" stem you'll need to use some sort of shims to fill the excess space.

Everyone here has their own opinion on what's "best" or "good enough" but I prefer installing BMX stems when I install 7/8" BMX or apehanger handlebars on my bikes.

Thanks again for the reply.
I remember talking with a gentleman who had a couple of blue cranbrooks and had given me the correct stem size for the cranbrook but I can not find it nor is it in my content anymore.

So.....
If I were to purchase a bmx box what size stem would I need for a new cranbrook?

Might as well get the bars and mounting box ordered before my sweetie orders me the bike. She is pushing to get it now. Lol why argue, just get the bike.

Thanks
Jim

Just found these

27.5 W x 9 x1 and in black.
No cross bar.

Would make things a whole lot easier.

Now if I got this right most cruisers have a 1 inch bar which I hope includes the cranbrook.

Thanks

27.5 W x 9 x1 and in black.
No cross bar.

Would make things a whole lot easier.

Now if I got this right most cruisers have a 1 inch bar which I hope includes the cranbrook.

A link would help, but "27.5 W x 9 x1" is almost certainly the dimensions of the handlebar in inches: 27.5 would be width of the handlebar from one end to the other, the 9 is the height of the bar or the "rise" (as in "how much it rises above the clamp area") and the 1 should be the diameter at the clamp.

Most bicycle handlebars seen on this site are mostly 7/8" or 22.2mm in diameter where the grips fit; most BMX bars are that diameter for the full length while cruiser-type bars generally widen to 1" at the center where the stem clamps to the bar.

If this is the type of bar you're looking at, it would indeed make things a lot easier, and fit the "stock" stem on a Cranbrook! You can see the wider portion for the clamp in this picture I found while Googling "27.5 W x 9 x 1 handlebar" -- https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fEsAAOSwyi9Z8er9/s-l1600.jpg

(I'm not even going to get into the larger handlebar diameters on many road and mountain bikes in the past 20 years, since we seldom see those here at RRB. ;) )

I remember talking with a gentleman who had a couple of blue cranbrooks and had given me the correct stem size for the cranbrook but I can not find it nor is it in my content anymore.

So.....
If I were to purchase a bmx box what size stem would I need for a new cranbrook?

IF the handlebar above is what you're looking at, we can pretty much skip this part, but....

IF you wanted to put a 7/8" BMX bar on there, you would need EITHER a stem for a 7/8" bar and a 22.2 quill diameter OR a stem for a 7/8" bar and a 21.1 quill diameter. Unfortunately, the factories that produce these bikes sometimes produce them for whichever of those two size forks they have in stock, so there are probably some Cranbrooks out there that use each size stem! There's probably no way to tell for sure which size your bike will have until it arrives and you can take it apart and read the numbers stamped on the side of the stem.

For a LOT more information on stems, bars, and bikes in general, here's a link to Sheldon Brown's site -- there's more information there about bikes than anybody here will probably ever need to know. ;) http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

A link would help, but "27.5 W x 9 x1" is almost certainly the dimensions of the handlebar in inches: 27.5 would be width of the handlebar from one end to the other, the 9 is the height of the bar or the "rise" (as in "how much it rises above the clamp area") and the 1 should be the diameter at the clamp.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Exactly !!
That's what I was looking at in the standard bmx bar and I ran across these and to be truthful, they should be just fine.

Here is a link to one of the places I am looking. Although they are shipped from niagra cycle and the shipping time Fram results are not all that great.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNLITE-HBAR-SUNLT-RISE-27-5Wx9x1in/dp/B01K866XC466

Also thank you for the link. I will be sure to check it out soon.

Man I miss the days when you just grabbed any handlebars you liked and put it on your bike and we're done with it.

Thank you again for all your time.
Have a great week

It's all about what you want/need.
If you've got the time and money to build how you want, spend it.
Just know you'll never make a return on it.
Thank You!!
Honestly I have no desire for any return on this one other then a desire to bring back one special bike I had and enjoyed it immensely and some healthy transportation.

At this time in my life funds are low as we get back on our feet so I have been asking questions so as to measure twice and cut once.

Thanks again

Rear coaster brake on new cranbrook.
Never tore into one before.
Want to crease the wheel bearings.
Is it simple or will I have to deal with internal brake parts?

Lol the fun begins. Bottom rear fender screw is so tight I have yet to brake it loose. Ugg. Lol
Thanks

Man I worked on that fender screw for about an hour. 5 screw drivers a pair of vice grips and a hammer. Was about to cut the fender off and Gina picks up a screw driver and turned the thing right out. What can you do but smile big giver her a hug and say Thank You!!

Front wheel is warped and huffy is sending me a new rim without any hassles.

Hate the bars but took an old stem from a mongoose and pried it apart and stuck in some 6 inch rise bmx style bars off the neighbor little kids bike that I snagged when they moved back to their country.

It works! At least for now until I save up and get the bars I want.
Rode it around here for about an hour and still have a smile on my face.

It has begun, that old craving to build bikes. It won't be long and I will be a true blue rat rod guy with old REAL bikes sitting around and explaining why I need so many.

Thanks again to everyone here.
Jim. :)

Strange noise that sounds like a kid with bubble gum card attached to the bike.
It's in the rear hub and ONLY happens when you peddle.

Net is full of the same but ONLY when you coast.

So far I have ended up with a complete set of the wrong colored rims and one front correct rim and now waiting another correct back rim.

The bike rides Great that is what little I have got to ride it.

Latest posts

Back