Adjusting fork rake. How much?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm semi committed to adding some triple clamp forks to a current cruiser project. It's a cheap bike and a bit of an experiment. First plan was to strip the paint, let it rust a bit then clear coat. Now I'm wondering if I can get hold of some triple clamp forks and adapt them. In doing so considered if I could rake out the front a bit for some extra style points. I haven't done anything more than assembling before. This would be my first 'frame mod'.

How much rake can I add without mucking up the ride too much? I don't really want to have to adjust the rest of the frame yet. Need to practice welding thin tube first!

The black bike in front is the project. It's only a cheap dept store cruiser. Other plans include stripping off the paint, letting it get some patina and then clear coating, maybe some pinstriping to dress it up a bit. Low budget build for sure.
IMG_1376.JPG

Mock up with stock fork position.
IMG_1386.JPG

With a bit more rake. No triple clamps yet, so just getting a feel for wheel position with the stock forks.
IMG_1387.JPG

With some more.
IMG_1388.JPG

Does the last one look like too much? Without riding, I think it's not too bad.

Latest posts

Back