Alco Villager "3" Complete makeover!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way too cool! That is one really well built trike. A couple of questions about the drive system.. Where did the bolt on sprockets come from that the short chains are on? How are the wheels attached to the axle so they transfer the rotation of the axle? I have a very similar trike attachment on a Schwinn frame I am trying to figure out.

Is there any sort of differential? How does it handle tighter turning?

I could drool over that build for hours. 8) 8) 8) :D

Just talked to dad for more information.

The 3 speed hub has a 22 tooth front mult sprocket crank style cog drilled and screwed to each side of the hub where the spokes used to mount (with modification, front has a larger hole). The diff is two freewheels keyed to the axles and held on with a nut, each freewheel has a 'homemade' spacer with three set screws to help hold it in place that keeps the freewheels inline with the front sprockets. Each axle needed to be extended. The axles are 5/8", he took 5/8" rod, ground the rod and the axle like 'sharpening a pencil', clamped them into a piece of angle iron and welded them together then filling with weld and grinding smooth.

Each rear wheel is a standard rear wheel hub. He ordered a 24" set and a 26" rear, relaced one rear and the front to have two 24" rear hubs for the larger center hole. The bearing race is the same diameter as the axle. The ends of the axles originally had the ends drilled and tapped to hold the wheel on so he used the original method. He said the key needed to be extended also to fit the wider hub, then tack welded into place. The wheel presses against the disc brake mount that he also made and welded to the axle.

i-F9TvMhD-X2.jpg

i-xHdzJ4V-L.jpg

We'll take a rear wheel off and get pictures later.

Thanks for the explanation. That is just too cool. Now I am pumped to do something with this old Schwinn trike. The main drawback to it was the lack of gearing, making it too hard to take off from a stop with. Now I have some ideas to work with. Tell your Dad thank you for the inspiration.

I just remembered to easily ride through grass and up hills he had to change the other gearing. The two chains in the rear are to all 22 tooth, the front sprocket is 39 tooth, the rear is a 24. Steep inclines are a workout, but still achievable.

Here are close ups of how dad keyed the standard hubs. He mentioned the bearing race was so hard he ended up notching it with a chainsaw sharpening bit in a dremel.

i-Fn34q95-L.jpg

i-D3FrK9H-L.jpg

i-CsSdBsc-L.jpg

i-x6mrWKx-L.jpg

Wooooooow.
What a sweet ride. That bike needs to be on a showroom floor! Amazing work. Just wow! 8)

Nice work!

Latest posts

Back